mobi or kindle file for beta readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

neicolec

Just getting started
Registered
Reaction score
So, if you want to prep a book for beta readers, do you just go through the conversion process and get a copy of the Kindle file and then send that to the beta readers--but just don't publish it? I'm trying to understand how people get the mobi files and Kindle files to give to readers.

Thanks!

Neicole

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I plan on doing for a couple of my beta readers, so they can see how the book "reads" on their kindles. I'll use a program someone mentioned in my self-publishing thread to render it into a mobi file and use the usb port to shoot it into their kindles (will try it on mine first, of course...lol.)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I write in Word and send my betas a pdf file they can print out and scribble comments and corrections on in red. When they're finished, I get the manuscript back with their suggestions and comments on it.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I usually give people doc or rtf files, but if asked, I'll give someone an epub or mobi. I often make epubs of my drafts to read on my e-reader anyway. Very fast and easy to do in Calibre. It's not like I make a cover or anything.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
A MOBI is a kindle file, you can side load them onto kindles.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I send betas doc or rft, so they can easily add comments. When I'm betaing someone's work, I have no interest in how the book will look on my ereader. It's all about the words at that point, not the presentation.

Later on, you might want people to proofread the final ebook files, but that's some steps further on in the process. If I was doing that, I'd convert it in Calibre and send that version.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I think it's a matter of preference for the beta reader. I send docs to my beta reader but sometimes when I beta for her I have her send the mobi so I can read it in my kindle app on my iPad.

Prisoner24601

One Mouthy Broad
Registered
Reaction score
I send it as a .doc or .rtf file. That way the beta can use the track changes feature on word (so I can see what their suggested edits are) and/or leave comments.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
I sent the Word doc or a PDF to my betas. I didn't know how to convert it to the other formats, plus it made it easier for them to leave the feedback in the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.