What keeps you from submitting to a magazine?

Sorean

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so you're on Duotrope and find a magazine that you think you'll like, but as soon as you read their guidelines, or perhaps see the website in general, you decide you don't want to submit there anymore. What turns you off? Besides your not thinking the story fits with what they want.

For me, what turns me off is a clunky, cheap-looking layout, particularly because there are websites that offer customizable templates. This says so much to me, particularly if the magazine is a fledgling and hasn't released an issue yet. What also turns me off is a blog layout, meaning the stories aren't published in actual PDF issues, but just posted as blog entries--something of that nature. What also turns me off is when I see the average response time for a particular story may be up to a year. I don't even care if the magazine offers pay. I just don't sub.

Last edited:

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Have I heard of them?
Have they published authors I know and read?
Do they pay?
If they pay, is the payment acceptable?
What rights do they acquire, and for how long?
Does the site look professional and good?
Are the stories presented well?
Have they won any awards I've heard of?

The more negatives, above, the less likely I'll submit. Especially on the matter of payment.

Sorean

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of rights to you prefer? I suppose it doesn't really matter to me, but nonexclusive rights are always delectable. I suppose as long as they don't keep it forever or for too long. Then again, I'm never worried about rights to acquire because a lot of magazines, particularly ones that pay, want first rights anyway, unless you negotiate with previous magazines to get out of their archives.

krissybrady

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.krissybrady.com
Sorean, I completely agree with you--a website that looks like it was created in Grade 10 computer class for me is the biggest turn-off. Also, I typically try and avoid publications that are really new, unless recommended by a reliable source. In terms of literary magazines, pay is not the issue for me, it's how my writing is going to be presented in the publication. If the pub is put together in a cut-and-paste manner, or if the publication looks like it's simply been photocopied, I won't give it a second glance.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Pay or prestige is far more important to me than the website, particularly if the story will appear in a print publication.

Rights are also important. I would always try for first rights that are nonexclusive, or are exclusive only for a set period. If it's print, I like rights to be limited by geographic area (first NA serial rights vs. first worldwide serials rights).

Speaking specifically about websites, I would never submit to a market that couldn't be bothered to properly edit its own website. Poorly written copy riddled with grammar and punctuation errors is a glaring sign of an amateur outfit. More so than a poorly formatted site, in my opinion.

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
The Mags aren't what they used to be, particularly in SF. There's a lot politics, who-do-you-know and all the usual nonsense, but, much worse now than back in the day, when newstand magazines were actually what was happening. A mere shadow of former greatness, now swarmed by more authors every month than used to exist in the world.
Far better to work towards one's own book of SS, or novel or what-have-you.
Mere opinion of course, maybe you still buy Analog and think it's great.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Fear keeps me from submitting to mags I'd like to write for.