Just Hit Send for February 2011

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Yes, it's been eons since I've been here. But if you saw in the January JHS thread, I need some JHS kicks in the pants. So I'm here. :)

I'm keeping it relatively simple:
-2 queries a week
-2 blog posts a week
-3 stories for my next book a week (DEVOTED TO CROCHETING, for the same publisher as Devoted to Creating.)

I think I'll leave it at that for now. :)

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Jen. I'm here mama. Worked on my book this morning and wrote up two lessons. As I'm going through this emotional process, it's been helpful to put all of these emotions to good use - not only by writing, but in keeping a record in order to help other single moms. I'm really excited about it. :) Glad to see you here mama. Great to hear about the new book, too! Congratulations!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
That book sounds like a great idea! :)

And thanks! I've been writing down ideas for stories for the devotions for the new book, but I think yesterday, the mailman literally delivered the first story for the book. I got a thank-you card in the mail from the lady I gave my most recent prayer shawl. So sweet! She just about made me cry.

Since I'm stuck in the house because of the weather, it should be a good day for queries. I have one in mind for WRITERS' JOURNAL. I guess I should write it and send it. :)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
So, Tuesday I sent a query to WRITERS' JOURNAL. This morning, I got a "go ahead" on the article. :)

I've been debating on if another e-mail I sent Tuesday counts as a query for my 2-a-week goal, but I've just about decided that it does not. Why? Well...
-It was in reply to an e-mail giving loads of feedback but ultimately rejecting the manuscript but going out on that limb resulted in a chance to make some changes and resubmit. :) )
-It was about a novel and not about freelance work.

So I still need to do one more query for the week, start on some significant changes to a novel, work on a speech, write some stories for the new devotional, and start work on that article.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here! I'm here! and this month I'm stickin'!

really.

I have simple goals this month:

- I have three queries I'm working on and will send.
- I have two stories for two differant anthologies I am writing and will send.
- I will start the editting process on my novel Elemental Assassin. At two or three chapters a month I'll be done by December.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Jen - Yay! And thanks for the compliment on the book idea.
Raven - Glad to see ya birdie! lol
Well I have bad news ladies. I had to resign from my part-time job at Momslikeme.com because my pay was cut in half and the workload expanded. I loved doing this job, but i have to pay bills. So with a deep sadness in my heart, I let it go. I'm hoping for bigger and better. I also have to wait 3 months before applying to jobs with other major parenting sites (ivillage, parent connect, etc). :/ Not happy about it, but it is what it is. Meanwhile, I may focus on the blogs now that things have slowed down, both work-wise and home-wise.
That and work on my book. :D

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Simple goals are good, raven. :)

For me, I just did one query last week, but I'm making progress on everything else. Well, even one query is progress over none. :)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
I'm here too! After reviewing, I realized that my submissions for last year were waaaayyyy down, and I've decided I need to change my focus this year. Sooo, I stopped by here to see if there was anybody here. . .and here you are!

So glad to see you ladies and to hear about all that's going on--Sky, remember that sometimes things happen for a reason. (Bet something good comes of your new-found time from shucking that job.) Congratulations to everybody on their accomplishments. You make me feel like I can get something done, too--I Just Hit Send on a couple of anthology submissions!

Last edited:

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! Great to see some fellow freelancers at Absolute Write.

Busy with a couple of assignments (including a new blogging gig and my first-ever national piece for Writer's Digest), but hoping to get at least three queries out before Friday.

I was also planning to make some cold calls to local businesses, but may push it back to next week. **Sighs with relief **

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Amy - woohoo on the JHS. :) Way to go. And thanks for the support. I'm focusing on my book for single moms this year as a major JHS goal.
Ulee Lhea - Welcome! Haven't seen you around in a while and congrats on Nanowrimo! Way to go!
More news from me - I've changed the focus a bit on my portfolio site to include Hot Topics. Today's post is about snirt, snow and winter evermore. lol and I got up a post at the freshman writer about writing and self-confidence. :) Other than that, I'm sticking with the second blogging gig, looking for more writing gigs and looking for a new dayjob. A less busy bee. lol Later!

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Heiddi!

I know, it's been way too long.

I've been busy with moving across the country and trying to get my life back in order. But starting this month, I'm really cracking down on myself as far as marketing myself and getting more writing jobs.

I'll try to be better about stopping by the site. It's always good to see what others are up to and share ideas! Writing can be a lonely job, especially full-time writing.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Amy - I had no idea you even participated in Nano! Congratulations!
Ulee - I'm actually working on a book project for single moms. Been writing since the new year. A book of lessons that I've learned that I'd like to share with other moms going through the process. :)
I've added another post at The Freshman Writer - a prompt about superpowers. :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, everyone's so busy! I'm working on a geeky book proposal and trying to do some DS articles, although the queue is getting a little low. I also have an article assignment, so setting up & conducting a couple of interviews this week. Looks like March will keep me hopping! ;)

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
just updating: Sent two and got two rejections, polishing both queries up to send them out again.

opted out of one anthology. The story just isn't ready, but will send the other this weekend.

novel is on hold for some other reading at the moment.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! Way to go plaid and raven. Wrote and sent off five blogposts for this month to my one and only blogging gig. Yes, I'm STILL bummed out about leaving Momslikeme. But anyway, in the meantime, I've been looking for a new dayjob and part-time writing jobs as well. Applying frequently for both. Let's see what happens.
I'll be updating the sites, so check em out. :)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Keep up the good work everyone!

Heiddi, I did Nano to prove to a certain person who is married to me that it could be done. (I have to admit he really helped out around the house so I could do it, but don't tell him I said so.)

I've sent two submissions--one by snail mail which I usually use for an excuse not to get around to it, and one e-mail, but to a market I don't usually try. Now I need to get my anthology submission in so I won't be obsessing about the other two.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
lol Keep up the great work Amy. And I won't tell hubby anything. lol Get to work on the anthology mama! :)

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Last day of February, but hey, it counts! I just hit send on a magazine query. :0)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Congrats on the JHS'd query on 2/28. Anyone interested in a March thread? I'll start it. (I poofed out for February because I was working on edits for a book. I got them done and the book sent back to the editor. :) )