General ebooks copyright infringement

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.general-ebooks.com/

The above website hosts links to various sites where you can download ebooks. Unfortunately, many of the sites are torrent sites where there is no charge for downloading and you can even view/read the book online. Using the search feature, you can look up authors or book titles. The novels are in all genres, not just erotica. Each hit will lead to a website, some legitimate like barnes and noble or kobo books where the download can be purchased. Many others are for sites that pirated the novel and offer it for free, no compensation to the author. Several of the writers here have their work on that site.

eg:

I did a search there for Cauldrons of Ghosts, a science fiction novel just released a few months ago. 4 results, 3 being legitimate, the last a bootleg copy. Searched one of the authors and got 244 results.

Not sure what can be done except to find out if you have any bootleg copies there and notifying your publisher.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heads up, erotica (and other) authors. You or your publisher should be sending out those take-down notices, right?

Maryn, wanting us all to earn what we're entitled to

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO it is a bit like weeding the garden. I wait until there are a lot of weeds and go at it. If I responded to each listing as it happened there would be no time to do anything else.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the more 'respectable' torrent sites (I use quotation marks advisedly, because I know some people don't believe there to be such a thing) will respond quickly to a polite notice, then ban the work from being reuploaded. Torrent aggregators though are almost a waste of time to pursue, because they don't host the work, so they claim they have no responsibility.

In general, veinglory is right. Do what you need to do, but don't let it take up all your time.

EDIT And I've just now realized that even though I did read the first post, I totally misunderstood the topic. I'm... not sure how I did that.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
IMHO it is a bit like weeding the garden. I wait until there are a lot of weeds and go at it. If I responded to each listing as it happened there would be no time to do anything else.

That's pretty much been my approach. I simply don't have the time to chase down all the pirate sites.

That, and the ones charging money for books tend to be credit card phishing sites. I'm less concerned that they're selling my books and more concerned about what they're doing with customer information.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com

My philosophy as well. I figure that people who are going to pirate aren't the people who'll ever buy my book... At least that's what I tell myself :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't really have a feeling for how it may or may not impact sales. But when it starts getting out of hand I get a MUSO subscription for a while and have at it. Mainly just to assert my rights over my work. I see it as neither something I should just ignore, nor something that keeps me awake at night....

spice.fiction

Altered the default user title
Registered
Reaction score
Were you able to download it? Looks like a phishing-type site to me. They ask for a registration to download. Who knows if they actually provide the book or are just harvesting information or sending malware, ransomware, etc. Just because they pulled the title and description doesn't mean they are hosting the full text.