• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aaron M. Priest Literary Agency

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Query to Lucy Childs - is it Baker now?

I was researching Lucy Childs and on the Aaron Priest webpage her name is listed as Lucy Childs Baker. I assume this means that she has gotten married (not sure how recently, the site looks like it was updated in 2007). All other agent research sites list her as just Lucy Childs.

Does anyone have any insight on how to address my query? Has anyone queried her and received a response recently? How does she sign her own name?

I feel like I should go with "Dear Ms. Baker:" but I'm not really sure.

The alternative "Dear Ms. Childs Baker" seems weird since her name wasn't hyphenated.

Any help is appreciated.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I was researching Lucy Childs and on the Aaron Priest webpage her name is listed as Lucy Childs Baker...Does anyone have any insight on how to address my query?

If she uses Baker on her agency webpage, that must be her name. The agency should know, right?

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent response time info to share on this agency? On Nicole Kenealy?

Anyone know what kind of treats Golda likes? I'm thinking if I snail mail my query with a treat for the damn dog in there it may get some good attention. :D

O hAnnrachainn

Registered
Reaction score
No response is a no at this agency. If you don't hear back, it's a rejection.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
None of the agents listed at this agency accept what I write. However ... they don't say what Golda reps.

I wonder if I could submit to Golda? We speak the same language.

kenaipi

Registered
Reaction score
The auto-response I received from my query submission is that if they do not respond within six weeks it is a NO.

Good luck to all.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Lee Lee, how long ago did you send the requested partial? It could still take up to three months for a response, which is common across the board.

Having a separate address for requested material or referred submissions doesn't necessarily mean queries sent to the general address will be ignored.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did you send a status or update query? If you do, be sure to include the original correspondence with your request for an update. It could have got lost in the shuffle.

Personally, a 'no response means no' policy has always bothered me, but is seems more prevalent these days, even with legitimate agencies. I wouldn't take the non-response personally or assume that the agency is misleading you. Just move on and try others. Good luck with your submissions.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I threw my query into the ring. Although the guidelines stated the first chapter to be included, I pasted in 5 pages because my first chapter was only a page or so. I wanted to give Ms. Baker a sense of the alternating time lines in my chapters. I hope that works.

I received my delivery confirmation.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
Back in Feb. I sent a query to Aaron Priest and received a request for a full from Nicole Kenealy "on behalf" of Aaron Priest. It was worded: "We would be happy to take a look at your novel"
Unfortunately I misunderstood and thought she was his assistant and addressed me reply to both of them. I hope that wasn't a faux pax.
Now that I know that she's an agent, not an assistant, anyone know what she meant with the "on behalf of" and the "We?"
I wish I could just drop an email and ask, but they are so prestigious that I'm afraid of frightening them off, especially since how and why I queried Mr. Priest in the first place was so unconventional. I'm still reeling in shock that I got a full request.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
I just found out I sent the wrong draft of my manuscript. :0 I dashed off a quick email to Nicole asking if I can send the right one. I hope she's not annoyed...or worse has already read that draft and hasn't gotten around to sending the rejection.
This is so nerve-wracking!

Arquebus

Registered
Reaction score
Is Nicole Kenealy now Nicole James? Otherwise I don't see her on the Priest website.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone submit to Mrs. James lately? I sent a query in on 2/11/2011, and I am wondering what her response times are.

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that is really romantic.

Anything new on Nicole James? I'm about to query, just thought I'd ask. The AW forums are the best resource.

According to query tracker she is closed to queries which leaves no one there for YA.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Thanks, Lisa17.

I ended up querying Lucy Childs Baker there. Sent it January 11th, auto response received. Nothing else yet. Their website says if they don't respond within 4 weeks it's a no, and tomorrow marks 4 weeks. So...

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Lisa Vance? I sent her a query this morning for a historical fiction and wanted to know if anyone has dealt with her before. I'll post back when I hear a response. Thanks!
Bryan

MrRee

Registered
Reaction score
Not so

Um, I'm going to completely and emphatically disagree with BenPanced (quoted below). I've had more than one instance of one agent at an agency never responding or even responding no on a query and I approach another at the same agency (never at the same time, of course) and get a request for full MS. I despise the herd mentality of that kind of blanket rejection and furthermore point to The Help which was rejected by 60 agents before Susan Ramer proved them all fools. Have at it. The more they try to close down the sluice, the more you have to squirt them in the face. It's pure numbers game. After of course the connections game and the luck game and (distant last but still of some importance) the talent game.
Just send the one query to the one agent at the agency. Period. Do not sent to multiple agents at the same agency. At all.

If you sent a query in March and they haven't responded, they aren't interested.

In other words, exactly what it says.

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Lisa Vance? I sent her a query this morning for a historical fiction and wanted to know if anyone has dealt with her before. I'll post back when I hear a response. Thanks!
Bryan

Bryan,
Did you ever hear back from Lisa Erbach Vance? I would also like to query her with my HF.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Bryan,
Did you ever hear back from Lisa Erbach Vance? I would also like to query her with my HF.

Nope. No response. I'd written her off as no response means no. Best of luck though! Let me know if she does ask for a full.
Bryan

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
Bryan,
I'll post here if I get any response from her - I plan to query her in the spring.