Help requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in the novel writing forum, but I should put it here as well since this is a place where the subject can be manipulated and stretched for effect. Here is the original request:

I'm looking for a little help from all of you kind AWers. I'll collecting a file of examples of incorrect human anatomy/physiology from published stories (fiction only). For example, a best-selling author had a victim stabbed in the neck (with a knife) that severed the aorta. It would have to be a really, really long knife, wielded with a severe downward arc, and then it would be a difficult job. Another example pops up all the time--a character is hit on the head hard enough for him/her to lost consciousness, and immediately upon coming-to, he/she gets up and does something heroic. A person hit that hard would be one sick puppy, probably with severe motor deficits and serial puking to boot. The other classic one is peeing oneself when startled (hands up everyone without an incontinence problem who soaks their drawers when startled--even with incontinence issues, the emission tends to be small in volume).

Anyone have favorites? If you have specific examples, you don't have to put them here. I'd like to get the references, but it can be done via PM. Examples will be used in a professional teaching forum, with proper academic treatment.

Thank you.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Can I nominate every bad horror movie where the heroine ALWAYS trips at the most inopportune moment and magically sprains her ankle. If she's wearing stiletto marabou slippers while running through the woods/graveyard, maaaaybe. But no one's ankles are that fragile unless, perhaps, she's suffering from advanced osteo-necrosis.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A big problem with any story that runs over days or weeks (even months) is when someone is injured, the author forgets to carry the injury through the story, as if it healed immediately. Unfortunately, I can't think of any specific examples right now.

Thank you, C.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
As far as literature goes, I feel like I have an example but for the life of me can't think of it.

If you're looking for celluloid, there is one in Serenity. 'The Operative' has a way of paralysing people by jabbing his hand into their back (without breaking the skin, away from the spine) and twisting it.
The victim'll then stand rigid until the topple over.

Pfft, right.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "shotgun" effect - where someone's blasted with a weapon, usually a shot gun, and then in defiance of physics goes flying backwards. (ok, not an anatomy issue, but still). But related to that is the backwards faint. Generally speaking, if someone faints, there weight is going to carry them foreward onto their face. But actors always fall backwards.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and my favorites - the "smash the nose upwards into the brain" or "ripping the throat out with thumb and forefinger" maneuvers. Yeah, right. :)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
no one's ankles are that fragile unless, perhaps, she's suffering from advanced osteo-necrosis.

:clears throat, raises hand:

Or if they are klutzes.

We're born, not made, BTW.

I was in college, and in considerably better condition and much lighter weight than I am now, and had need to sprint across campus to an inconveniently scheduled/located class.

On flat concrete and in running shoes with good grip on said 'crete--on a dry day no less--I managed to end up arse over tea kettle.

One of my toes mysteriously caught on absolutely nothing and I did a complete forward flip. I landed, wholly by accident, square on my feet just like Xena. Didn't drop a single book, though my purse contents went everywhere. There was much astonishment from witnesses, for I was not known to have any acrobatic ability. I was astonished I'd not killed myself, and to this day still don't know how I avoided it.

But the fact is, I am an utter klutz and can and do trip on flat ground. The other week I dropped from view at a friend's house while crossing their living room, offering them much alarm as they're not insured for that sort of thing.

I've no doubt that were I to be chased by some film monster in the woods I would escape simply because the critter would be laughing too hard to catch me. Or I would--much more likely--trip, twist at least one of my ankles, and be that evening's take out meal.

Chicks being chased in horror movies and twisting their ankles is viewed as a) standard cliche; b) poor writing.

Of course we're all better writers than THEY are and can avoid it.

Now I have to hobble off to bed. I managed to lose a fight with a bit of plank flooring.

Ow.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Not exactly what you're asking for, but one of my all time favorites was an episode of Hawaii 5-0.

Jack Lord enters an apartment where various hippies are lying around stoned, so out of it that they're almost comatose and can barely wake up long enough to mumble a few words. He walks over to a bag of white powder, tastes it (not the smartest thing to do) and pronounces:

"Pure speed."

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
I've been around a few auto accidents is my day job (usually after the impact). After any moderately serious collision cars don't keep going as far, as fast, and for as long as in most all novels and movies--the tires get stuck against wheel wells, or flatten, wheels get badly out of alignment and the rubber soon gets ripped off, axles break, the engine loses oil or coolant and the engine locks up from its own heat, fuel lines break, steering linkages and geers break. All this can happen with the passengers remaining relatively unscathed. g.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Gillhoughly, I trip *up* stairs.

And over the waves that always appear in those little mats they put at our office door in the winter to catch most of the salt from the parking lot.

I too am a charter member in the Klutz Klub. :D

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The Klutz Club

The Klutz Club--like the Fight Club but with more blood.

High five, callalily61!

:tries for a high five, misses, hits self in face:

Ow.

:still agreeing with Geraint being one hawt bitch:

Damn. Nose bleed.

:faints:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:ROFL:

:e2beat:<--- The official smiley of The Klutz Club.

The Klutz Club--like the Fight Club but with more blood.

High five, callalily61!

:tries for a high five, misses, hits self in face:

Ow.

:still agreeing with Geraint being one hawt bitch:

Oh, yeah. He can chomp my neck anytime.

Damn. Nose bleed.

:faints:

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
In Desperado, Antonio Banderas is in a shoot out in a cantina where he and another man use 20 guns and oodles of ammo and AB goes unscathed.

Status
Not open for further replies.