What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just started Scarlet by A.C Gaughen. So far I'm not that impressed. The characters seem like caricatures, and--a personal pet peeve of mine--everyone speaks in old English dialogue. I'm hoping that once plot starts happening, I might start to like it more.

On the other hand, just finished The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, which was UNBELIEVABLE. I'm supremely disappointed that the next one isn't out yet.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading PERFECT ESCAPE by Jennifer Brown. I love her books but I wish this one wasn't so slow... My favorite of her is HATE LIST and I am really really looking forward to her 2013 book about a sexting scandal

Funny, I loved the idea of Hate List but I found it to be incredibly slow-moving. Like, it was overflowing with details I did not care about. I ended up skimming over half the book to get to the good parts. I don't mind superfluous details in books, but they have to be interesting or entertaining.

I'm reading Starting from Here by Lisa Jenn Bigelow. It's a perfect companion to A.S. King's Ask the Passengers. There's a surge of lesbians in YA suddenly, it seems like.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm somewhere in the middle of THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER. My main question so far is: Will she ever stop talking about Noah's eyelashes? I'm starting to picture him as Guy Pearce in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Not that there's anything wrong with Guy Pearce, in drag or otherwise, but I'm not sure that's what the author intended.
Ha! I felt like he stood around pouting attractively for like the first third of that book.

I just started Beautiful Creatures because I'm a sucker for hype I guess. Liking it a lot, but OMG how many times can he tell us about her green, green, greener-than-green, SO GREEN eyes?

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Creatures is one of those books where I knew for certain I would not read the entire series long before I completed the first book. I think it has its moments, and I really like the boy, but otherwise the story took forever. And the repetitions, yes, I quickly made a few mental notes of what to avoid in my own writing. But the plot had pace, no denying that even though I think it's too long. And I want to see the film, definitely.

I completed IF I DIE by Corrine Jackson this weekend - I thought it was pretty good. A bit slow in parts, and being unfamiliar with the whole 'army town' thing I wasn't too sure if the general consensus on kissing someone else than your boyfriend would really spark such uproar.

Also ran though STARKISSED by Brynna Gabrielson, which was sweet enough - and I'm sure it goes down well with an actual YA audience.

Will read Lauren Oliver's HANA next. I like that minor characters in major books get their own little companion stories. It'll also be nice to read this while waiting for REQUIEM to arrive.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just starting Just One Day by Gayle Forman. I have high hopes, but they're completely based on the concept.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Almost finished ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis, which I've enjoyed. It's a solid read, the science fiction element is fairly convincing and the romance hasn't been cloying. There's a near rape scene, which I'm not a fan of generally (always lazy short hand for "see the bad man!") but it's handled convincingly.

MM

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
M1ND GAMES. I have insanely high expectations for this book. It sounds like something I'd want to write.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Read STORY OF A GIRL by Sara Zarr in one day. Starting ONCE WAS LOST next.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Reece Malcolm list by Amy Spalding. Really enjoying it - great voice and realistic dialogue.

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout, the second in the Lux series. I can see why people love this series, it is quite addicting. It's an easy, quick read.

erin_michelle

Foreshadowing Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Finished and loved Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger. Anyone who likes her previous series will love it; it was cool seeing the "beginnings" of some characters from her Parasol Protectorate series. Bonus points for having no discernible LI either.

Last edited:

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished and loved Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger. Anyone who likes her previous series will love it; it was cool seeing the "beginnings" of some characters from her Parsol Protectorate series. Bonus points for having no discernible LI either.

Starting this today. I love her Parasol Protectorate series.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading PART1ALS. I decided to finish one of the half-finished books I had before getting into M1ND GAMES. I have no idea why reading this one dragged the way it did--the idea is totally exciting, and I love the descriptions of derelict buildings smothered by kudzu. It has all the makings of a story I must be in love with. But I'm not. It's interesting, and it holds my attention well enough, but I'm not crazy for it. Maybe because it's so long, detailed and drawn out, and somehow not really dramatic despite the events themselves being very tense and risky.

maryrider

Dreamer. Believer. Overthinker.
Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower for about the billionth time.

But all you Sarah Dessen fans out there should read Just Listen and The Truth About Forever. I'm a huge fan of her work. Though I liked That Summer and Someone Like You separately instead of the combined How To Deal version.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis and I did enjoy it but the plot's a little rushed towards the end and the identity of the villain was obvious. However, I'd gone into it a little worried that it would be TWILIGHT in Space and although there's obviously a romance element, I thought it was well handled and the story with its themes of power and the abuse of it worked well.

I'm switching to 'gown up' fiction next with FADE TO BLACK by AW's own Mr Flibble.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say I couldn't get into Splintered. It will probably happen that right when I quit was right before I would have gotten into things, and when I pick it up again, I won't know if it was the book or the mood ;) Or at least that's what I hope will happen.

(The price of the book was worth it for the cover art :D)

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Graceling by Kristin Cashore which was one of my all time favorite books.

Currently reading Mississippi Jack by L.A. Meyer which is great fun, like all the Jacky Faber books.

Last edited:

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading M1ND GAMES. Enjoying it a lot so far. It's totally, totally different from PARAN0RMALCY. The only similar thing, I guess, is LIs being sweet and unassuming.
More psi powers in YA fiction!

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished PANTOMIME and wow! I highly recommend it. I've read quite a few books lately that I liked very much, but this is the first one in quite a while that I really loved. The MC is going to stay in my head for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.