Website Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
This could go hand-in-hand with Maria S' thread about website design, but I have a unique set of circumstances here in regards to a potential website. First some background. I am NOT an avid reader, nor do I have a fleet of manuscripts just ready to burst forth from my brain. I am the proverbial one trick pony. I have 1 story to tell and that's it. It's a story I have been nurturing in my head for over 20 years. It was written as what I now refer to as my proto-manuscript back in 1990, was unsuccessfully published back then and was scrapped, placed in a box to be forgotten about. After 8 years, I was home recuperating from a back injury and dug that old proto-ms up and saw why it wasn't successful. It was pretty bad. However, with the life experience I accrued over those 8 years as well as world events like 9/11 having taken place, I felt that I could rewrite the story with a new, better storyline, while salvaging a few choice scenes from the proto-ms. That was back in 2005. After 5 more years of collecting information and research, I set about writing the new storyline. It was completed late that year, and for the last 3 years has been undergoing revisions and rewrites to polish it up into a final product. Now it is ready for "take-off." But after 50-plus rejections from agents, plus one very bad experience with a publisher who dealt with unagented authors, I am now looking to go publish this thing on my own through KDP and Create Space. However, these all require the use of social media, something I am not adept at. I don't have a blog. My Facebook page is used very infrequently and has less than 100 friends on it. And Tweeter is absolutely out of the question. And like I said, this is it for me. There will be no sequels, no series, no other stories. Not even a short story collection. I have to hit the grand slam in my first at bat here. So what can I do to maximize my efforts? 20 plus years of work on something that I feel so strongly about can't be wasted like this. This story's destiny can't be exile in a box in my basement, (This time stored on a flash drive, not a fully printed ms!) or just a couple of dozen sales to a few close friends and relatives through KDP/Create Space. What kind of blog operator could I even begin to look at, let alone maintain and run? I used to be in marketing some years back and know how difficult it is to try and get people to notice what you have to sell. And that was with a company. How can an individual like myself do it all by myself?

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
It is not required that you use social media. If I were in your shoes, I would have the e-book and paperback live at Amazon, then put the title in Amazon KDP Select and offer it free sporadically over a three-month period (you have five 24-hour periods available to you through the program). This will get eyes on your book and increase its visibility.

I would also join Goodreads and offer two or three of the paperback books for free in a giveaway. You will have to purchase the books yourself and send them to the winners. Again, more eyes on your book and, hopefully, the winners will write a review (this is not guaranteed).

If downloads are few and far between and no one appears interested, what have you lost in the process? Your book is done, written, finished. Release it into the world and see what happens. If you decide you want to market and promote your work, you can still do that. If you decide you want to unpublish the title, you can do that, too. You are really only limited by what you are willing to do.

No one can determine how a book will be received. I would encourage you to think about what you are willing to do to make your book as successful as it can be. Beta readers, editing, cover art, great description, good key words, selecting the right category and genre.

I am not trying to dissuade you in any way, but the self-publishing road is not easy. Many writers sort of casually say they'll self-publish as a "last resort." Give your book as much of a chance to succeed as possible and discern for yourself what you are willing to do to make that happen.

Good luck!

Last edited:

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Merri. That's some good ideas. The whole blogging thing is very intimidating to me. Not that I couldn't figure it out in time, but I certainly need some help getting up to speed with it. I'll check out that Goodreads site, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.