Status
Not open for further replies.

proudtobedad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerganedwards-stout.com
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find email lists for public and private libraries, and am willing to purchase if needed, but haven't yet found anything. Happily, my debut novel has done well with readers and critics, and I'm looking into ways to morph that success over to libraries.

Short of advertising in one of the ALA publications, I was hoping to find an email list... Any leads?

Or any other ideas on how to tap into that market?

Thanks!
Kergan

Deleted member 42

Bulk email/mail blasts are a terrible way to reach readers of any stripe, but especially librarians.

I would suggest reading this thread:

How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb

But more than that, speaking as someone who has worked with librarians, for librarians, in libraries, and been a vendor at ALA shows:

Librarians are first and foremost readers. They are readers with a wide-ranging passion for books. They make lists of books for their readers—for instance, LGBT readers.

I can assure you that librarians pay attention to Lambda and other awards. Really and truly.

I'd make sure to participate in non-promotional email discussion lists/yahoo/google groups as someone who shares an interest in books, and not just your own books. Put your Website in your sig. Speak about your experience as a reader, and when appropriate, as a writer.

Do participate in Good Reads and Library Thing giveaways.

Pay attention to LGBT literary events on Twitter. Interact with readers.

Keeping in mind of course that the very best way to promote a published book is to write a new book, and prioritize your time accordingly.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I heard my boss (my library's director) tell a newly published local author that librarians make their purchases through a service like Baker & Taylor, and base those purchases on reviews that they see in Publisher's Weekly and Kirkus, things like that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Most libraries that I know of take notice of good reviews in a relatively small pool of publications; and those publications ask for books to be submitted for review 4-6 months prior to publication. If your book has already been published you have very little chance of getting it reviewed in the relevant publications; and any emails you send out to libraries in the hope that they'll buy your book are likely to get lost among all the other emails sent out, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.