Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
(((Moon))) I know exactly what you mean by the R's that make you a little nutty. I got one that wasn't exactly "bad" but definitely wasn't full of the encouragement the others provided. Left me with four flat tires for about a week. Then I had cake and all was well. :)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
(((Moon))) I know exactly what you mean by the R's that make you a little nutty. I got one that wasn't exactly "bad" but definitely wasn't full of the encouragement the others provided. Left me with four flat tires for about a week. Then I had cake and all was well. :)

Ah yes, the mysterious healing powers of cake.

Sorry about the R, moon. But happy birthday!

Anyone else subscribe to their agency's thread? I watch mine from time to time. And all the hopeful make me wish I was querying again haha. I found my agent so fast. Why can't the rest of this be as easy -_-

Hope everyone is having a nice week.

lachrymal

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Moon, that sucks--I hope your week gets astronomically better from here.

Happy birthday to all you July folks!

Misses--I comment on my agency's thread, but I would never wish to be back in the querying trenches! (it took me months and months to get agented, so that might have something to do with it)

st22

Registered
Reaction score
That sucks, Moon. Sorry.

Just finished first round of edits and am waiting to hear back from agent. I think maybe people are on vacation this week. A word unfamiliar to writers :)

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Somebody hold me. I just got an R that, while kind, was hard to swallow. Really, really hard. I'm shaken and haven't ever had such a difficult time processing a rejection. I wanted so very much for this book to find its home, but I'm coming to the end and the realization that I may have to shelve the book that has meant so much to me.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
(((((Mad)))))
Was this the R&R?
I've just had mine sent back to the editor. After nine months on sub, I'm feeling like this is my last chance for this book as well.
I hope you feel better soon and treat yourself to some wine or chocolate.
Is the manuscript still out with some other pubs?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody hold me. I just got an R that, while kind, was hard to swallow. Really, really hard. I'm shaken and haven't ever had such a difficult time processing a rejection. I wanted so very much for this book to find its home, but I'm coming to the end and the realization that I may have to shelve the book that has meant so much to me.

Sorry Mad! I've been thinking the same. Like the others said, even if you trunk it for a bit, you can always come back to it and maybe self pub or find a very small house. Mine is my debut and means a lot to me as well. But it's not over until you give up!

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Mad!!! Don't lose hope. Take a day off, read a book, watch something dumb on TV, have a glass of wine (or four :)

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Thanks everyone. I'm better now than I was earlier. Time = perspective (on the good days). She said she "loved" it, but "found the voice to be too abrasive for [her] tastes." It was the 'abrasive' that caught me off guard. Everyone else has loved the voice, so I was thrown for a loop. Chalk it up to being anxiety-ridden, but I fixated on that, opened the ms and started reading. I still love this story SO hard and believe in it so much. It's still out with editors, including the R&R, so the door isn't closed. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the support.

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
Mad, first off, (HUG).
Second off- cupcake, chocolate, deep-fried anything, and drinks of your choice.
Third off- that word, abrasive as part of R sounds super duper personal and subjective. One person's funny/truthful/believable/sympathetic is another reader's "abrasive."
As hard as it is, remember, that one editor is at heart, a person. Just one person's opinion.
:]

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Mad, first off, (HUG).
Second off- cupcake, chocolate, deep-fried anything, and drinks of your choice.
Third off- that word, abrasive as part of R sounds super duper personal and subjective. One person's funny/truthful/believable/sympathetic is another reader's "abrasive."
As hard as it is, remember, that one editor is at heart, a person. Just one person's opinion.
:]

QFT.

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score
Missesdash/Snappy/st22/moonfairee - Thanks for the welcome and baby love and revision wishes! You guys are so sweet!

(((Moon))) So sorry about the Rs. Especially the rough one. Oh, and Happy Birthday ☺

(((Mad))) Ouch. That sounds brutal. And ditto what others said about being able to come back to the book.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Mad, I'm sorry to hear that. But if that's the only time you've heard the comment, I'd ignore it, as hard as it is today. Not even sure what "abrasive" means. One person's "blunt" is another's "direct." Don't lost heart!

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
The editor at the house with my second read is still on vacation. The only thing worse than waiting a long time is waiting a long time for an R -_-

Let's hope this wait is worth it~

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R, Moon! Hang in there and have a great birthday!

I agree, Mad, that "abrasive voice" is very subjective and might be a bracing or refreshing or funny voice to other readers. Sometimes I read a bunch of reviews on Goodreads and feel like people aren't even describing the same narrator, yet they are.

And I firmly believe in not giving up on a ms. you still believe in. Right now I'm giving an extreme makeover to my book on sub. (Extreme as in a new protagonist.) It's still out to two editors, and if they like it in its current form, that's great. But if not, I'm going to see if my agent is willing to consider looking at the new and hopefully more marketable version. Maybe it's jumping the gun, but if he wants to keep sending out the old version, I'm fine with that, too.

Actually, as I write that, it sounds kind of crazy -- is it crazy? Basically I'm waiting for more Rs and for my agent to tell me whether he wants to keep subbing the book, before I propose anything. I figure I'll know in a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.