The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Had the MOST amazing thing happen last night. A NYT Bestselling author in my genre offered to endorse my story and provide a cover quote. Let me explain that this woman is my rock star and I devour her books. First, I need someone to pick me up off the floor. Second, is this normal that they offer? Or did I just win the lottery?

That has to feel like the most wonderful mindfreak ever! Congrats!

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. Not sure if I should post this question in another thread, but, just wondering how often you keep in contact with your agent. Do you check in with each other once a week or fortnight? And does your agent respond fairly promptly when you have a question? Nothing much has been happening lately - I haven't heard back from her on any of the outstanding subs and I'm not sure if it would be pestering of me to write and say 'So, just checking in..' even though it's obvious she has no news.
Any thoughts?

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
That has to be a big relief, Callalily!

JBuck, the main question to ask isn't whether you're being a best. You need to make sure you're getting the level of communication you want. I have friends who don't talk with their agents much at all while others exchange emails once a week. IMO, it's perfectly acceptable to ask for a status update, especially if you haven't gotten one in a while.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Woohoo lily!!

JBuck, I agree that's its about what you need. I'm one of the ones that talk to my agent all the time, either by email or Twitter. My first agent I could barely get to email me back after months and months. I prefer my new agents style MUCH better, which is why I went with her. A nudge on status updates isn't unheard of, and agents know that we writers are an angsty bunch! :)

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Great news, Lily! Yay!
Thanks for the advice, Drachen, MrsBrommers and YAwriter.
It's funny because in real life I'm quite a strong woman and yet I'm like a bloody timid mouse with the agent stuff. I think it's the 'I'm not worthy' writer mindset. Argh! Must... reprogram... brain...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Lily!!!

JBuck, asking for a status update isn't pestering your agent. But, I know how you feel. Do whatever works best for you. :)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Agree. Asking an agent for updates isn't pestering. But it's nice if you have a relationship where you're updated enough that you don't need to ask, right?

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Great news, Lily!!!

I know what you mean about calling your agent. I just never want to be "that author."

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
DG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CALLA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Dgrin!!!!!!!!!:partyguy:
*hovers closely around, hoping some of Dgrin's magic dust falls on me*

Oh, and thanks everyone for the agent imput. I really appreciate it. It's nice to have a place to ask these sorts of questions and not feel stupid about it.:Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.