Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It may be just me, but CNN Pipeline is really tripping over any dignity with their scheduled Monday rebroadcast - in real time - of all the disaster coverage from 9/11/2001.

So the terrorist attack is ready for reruns, eh? Pathetic. By all means, have a special, have a memorial, have a minute of silence - whatever. But to rebroadcast the whole thing? That's obscene.

http://www.cnn.com/pipeline/landing/index.sept11.html

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're kidding me !

Is this serious? Ugh. My sister and her husband are flying back from dropping my niece off at Princeton, NJ on 9-11 and I'm gonna be nervous enough as it is.

Lord, if my Mother sees that and doesn't realize . . . . she'll faint !!!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sheesh. Okay, well at least there's no chance my Mother will accidentally see that and flip.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Perks said:
It may be just me, but CNN Pipeline is really tripping over any dignity with their scheduled Monday rebroadcast - in real time - of all the disaster coverage from 9/11/2001.

So the terrorist attack is ready for reruns, eh? Pathetic. By all means, have a special, have a memorial, have a minute of silence - whatever. But to rebroadcast the whole thing? That's obscene.

http://www.cnn.com/pipeline/landing/index.sept11.html

It's not like their regular lineup gets any ratings, Perks. Sheesh. And it's not like there'll actually be any NEWS.

KatRiley

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, NBC is following suit. I just saw a commercial on MSNBC that they were going to rebroadcast the Today show coverage from 9/11.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
KatRiley said:
Apparently, NBC is following suit. I just saw a commercial on MSNBC that they were going to rebroadcast the Today show coverage from 9/11.

Excellent.

Now you non believers have a chance to see how Iraq was behind it all.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
sheesh. Okay, well at least there's no chance my Mother will accidentally see that and flip.

Oh gawd, I hadn't thought of that angle. I can imagine some people would see it and think there was another attack.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would hate to see anyone freak out over it as in the Orson Welles radio broadcast of War of the Worlds, but I would also hope people will realize what they're watching the moment they see the twin towers standing there.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lordie, that still is my favorite version of it -War of the Worlds - the radio broadcast was and is still the best.

But yeah, my Mother would first panic, then realize what it was, but only AFTER she freaked out. She's like that when it comes to her kids and grandkids. Thing is, when it really happened, I called her from work and woke her up to tell her it was happening. Now, she'd probably innocently pop on the TV midway through, and just flip.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I hadn't thought about that either. It's just so tasteless. Who in the hell wants to sit there and relive it? It was only five years ago. Has anyone forgotten? I don't believe for a second that it's a tribute. I think the CNN Pipeline crew found a way to all sleep in on Monday morning and dressed it up as an homage. What a tacky stunt.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of a conversation had with relatives recently: we were talking about the new 9/11 movie out in theatres, and here comes my 17-year-old niece's boyfriend in the middle of the conversation.
"Wait, stop talking about it," he says. "I haven't seen the movie yet, and I don't want to hear how it ends."

Ever had to resist the urge to take a 17-year-old by the neck? :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Mike Coombes said:
You really think they'll think "Wow, the twin towers AGAIN!"

No, but you can never underestimate people. They may catch a flash of the smoke and consequential collapse and assume it is some other building.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True story: Local radio DJ, after seeing the movie Apollo 13, said it was "good" but he felt it was stepping over the bounds of believability to think they could have brought those guys back from SPACE using only duct tape and slide rules.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
cree said:
This reminds me of a conversation had with relatives recently: we were talking about the new 9/11 movie out in theatres, and here comes my 17-year-old niece's boyfriend in the middle of the conversation.
"Wait, stop talking about it," he says. "I haven't seen the movie yet, and I don't want to hear how it ends."

ACK! I heard that same comment from a teenage moron..umm..girl when I saw Titanic.

"It hits an iceberg and sinks??? Now you've, like, totally spoiled the movie!"

And she was serious.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
They want to make sure that the average American is plenty scared . . . CNN is superficial disinformation anyway.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
cree said:

Ever had to resist the urge to take a 17-year-old by the neck? :)

Maybe he can get a job as a bouncer if he is big enough.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
This will be the unpopular opinion here, but I am glad they are rerunning some of it. Whole coverage is over the top, just a special would do, but I want my kids to see some of it. They were born, but too little realize what was going on when that happened. My daughter(9) was just asking me all sorts of questions about it. It may sound mean or calloused, but I want them to realize, in a smaller dose of course, the sadness and devastation America felt that day.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
ACK! I heard that same comment from a teenage moron..umm..girl when I saw Titanic.

"It hits an iceberg and sinks??? Now you've, like, totally spoiled the movie!"

And she was serious.

At least it wasn't something that happened while she was alive! Yes, she's stupid because how could someone not know?! But 9/11 was only 5 years ago...if you were over 5 when it happened, you know how it ended.

Oh my gosh, sometimes I worry about the future of our race. But I guess people say that about every generation...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It would be odd if they didn't have specials and air some of the coverage in a restrospective format. I just disagree with running the whole thing just the way it was that day.

Reaction score
I like that they are replaying the entire thing.

I wish I could watch a full day of news from Dec 7, 1941.

It's an amazing historical record of the darkest day in our history and is the best way to truly understand and remember what went on that day. Clips don't do it justice. A real time replay does.

And since a good portion of this country has gone back to sleep and lost their resolve in this, the most important battle in this country's history, anything that can be done to wake, shock, shake people out of their slumber is a good thing.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really want to see it covered again exactly as it was the first time. The towers crashing down over and over again. The Pentagon burning over and over in the same clips again.

On 9/11/01, my husband and I couldn't tear ourselves away from the TV. In the evening we were watching the same coverage again and again. I don't normally watch TV at all, so this was a big deal. Our then 8YO daughter came in to spend some time with us. She has always felt a great deal of empathy for others. The third time the towers fell on the screen, her face fell along with it and she burst into tears. That was our wakeup call to be responsible parents, not voyeurs.

I don't know that everyone really needs to be beaten by the repetition of the same clips with no additional information on TV over and over and over again.

A review of the coverage with commentary about what we knew then and what we know now would be vastly better unless people want to wallow in uninformed horror.

Of course, if you want to push a particular political agenda, fear, rather than understanding, is a way to manipulate people.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I feel lucky that I didn't own a TV on 9/11. It was harrowing enough listening to NPR that day. I think I'll leave the TV off this time around too....

Status
Not open for further replies.