• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking betas interested in science fiction to read and critq short story

Status
Not open for further replies.

devouredbyrobots

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blatantlies.tumblr.com
I've written a short story intended to be sent in as a contest entry, and while I have friends who are giving it a read and critique I'd be grateful for anyone who is willing to take the time to read it.

It needs to be reduced to around 5000 words for submission, and presently it's 7000. Thus I'm looking for views on words, sentences and segments that can be cut to ensure maximum leanness of prose as well as a general look-over so that I can begin round 2 of revision towards a final.

Genre: Science fiction/dystopian fiction
Word count: ~7000 (presently), needs to be ~5000
Criticism: High. Focus on succinctness of prose and leanness of plot.
Premise: Years ahead of today absolutely unrestricted free market capitalism runs the globe. In this world a freelance butcher accepts a short notice job in the middle of the night, which initially looks merely profitable in terms of pay but turns out to be worth far more.

I can PM a google documents link to anyone who is interested. Thanks for reading!

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Cutting unneeded words is one of my favorite pastimes. I'll take a look. Because of the length and the amount of trimming that needs to be done, I probably won't have it back to you until next week sometime. If that isn't a problem, though, feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.