• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] John Hawkins & Associates, Inc.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Same thing at Kricehvsky agency this morning; maybe they share a server.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Anne Hawkins

Anyone looking for a quick response to queries... May I recommend Anne Hawkins? Took less than 24 hours from e-query to form rejection. Gotta admire the swiftness...if not the result.

curlbe

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone looking for a quick response to queries... May I recommend Anne Hawkins? Took less than 24 hours from e-query to form rejection. Gotta admire the swiftness...if not the result.

Agreed, Anne is fabulously quick and professional. She requested a 50 pg. partial from me last month within 12 hrs. Requested full the next day, and got back to me 4 days later with a personalized rejection that indicated she had read it (mentioned specific characters) and liked it but simply didn't have the editorial contacts since she thought it would sell best as young adult (it's borderline ya/adult) and she doesn't do very much work with young adult editors.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Queried yesterday, full request today from Mr. William Reiss.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
And rejected in record time! It was a personal reject though, and he came off as a very nice guy. He said, "I’ve gone over a list of editors, and don’t think I know the right editors for your novel, don’t think I’d be successful with it, so am going to decline," and apologized for being a "dull soul." lol.

Of course, you have to wonder, if an agent that's been in the business since 1971, who sold Shiloh, Wicked, and The White Oleander doesn't know the right editors for my book, who the feck does?

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Anne 08/14, partial requested 08/17, sent 08/19.

I usually send requested material right after I see the request, but had to come up with a synopsis for this one!
Here's to hoping she skips reading it and goes straight to the partial lol.

Emualde

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried William Reiss on 07/14. Partial request same day via snail-mail. Full request after email nudge on 08/16 via snail-mail.

Crossing fingers and toes!

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like I am chiming in a little late, but I was wondering if anyone knows who the YA agents are at this agency? Agent Query and the "About Me" section of their websites says they represent YA, but none of the agent's bios really mention it specifically....I'm thinking of sending my query to Warren Frazier...the authors he represents seems my best bet...any ideas?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like I am chiming in a little late, but I was wondering if anyone knows who the YA agents are at this agency? Agent Query and the "About Me" section of their websites says they represent YA, but none of the agent's bios really mention it specifically....I'm thinking of sending my query to Warren Frazier...the authors he represents seems my best bet...any ideas?

William Reiss handles YA...just not mine.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lol...thats how I feel about all of them. Thanks for the info though.

idempotent1729

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble with their webpage? On my computer it just says "Transferring data..." and nothing happens when I try to click on their navigation links. Is anyone else able to use it, and if so could you post a link to say the agent bio page or the submission guideline page so I could click that directly? Thank you so much!

idempotent1729

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble with their webpage? On my computer it just says "Transferring data..." and nothing happens when I try to click on their navigation links. Is anyone else able to use it, and if so could you post a link to say the agent bio page or the submission guideline page so I could click that directly? Thank you so much!

Never mind - I got it to work on a Windows machine! :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
They list science fiction and fantasy on the website, but I have no idea which agent to query. Are they only looking for adult and YA urban fantasy, like so many agents, or are they open to other types of sf&f? I'd write to them and ask, but I'm afraid of ruining my chances before I even query.

Filigree

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Talk about prompt response: Just queried William Reiss and got a rejection back in twenty minutes. I feel like there should be an award for this or something.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I equeried Ann Hawkins with a slightly offbeat proposal yesterday, and I got an encouraging rejection today.

Last edited:

Alchemenos Prausti

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Anne last night around midnight, and had a form rejection waiting in my inbox by the start of business today. It was very nicely-worded, though :)

sb2brown

Registered
Reaction score
FYI

The author I ghostwrite for queried Moses on 4/18/11. Today he re-queried since he never got a response. Ten minutes later he got an email saying Moses had passed on it, but the email must have gone astray. So apparently his turn-around time should be quick. If you don't hear back in a month, I'd say re-query.

alohachild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycmoore.com
Equeried William Reiss August 16th, received brief but personal rejection the next day. Going to go ahead and query Warren... never give up never surrender right????

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From 11/21 Publisher's Lunch:

John Hawkins, who owned and operated the literary agency John Hawkins & Associates, died November 13 at the age of 72. The cause of death was not immediately available. Hawkins joined Paul R. Reynolds Inc., established by his wife's grandfather, in 1966, became president of the agency in 1980 and changed its name to John Hawkins & Associates in 1985. Among his current and former clients are James Clavell, Alex Haley, Gail Godwin, E. Lynn Harris, Thomas McGuane, Harry Crews and Joyce Carol Oates, who said in a statement that Hawkins "was a beloved friend to his writers, warmly sympathetic, supportive and shrewd in his judgments, gifted with a wonderful sense of humor. He was both gentlemanly and totally contemporary. And he loved books both as reading experiences and works of art."

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
John Hawkins, who owned and operated the literary agency John Hawkins & Associates, died November 13 at the age of 72

I was just getting ready to query an agent with John Hawkins and came across this announcement on the website. So sad. Definitely thinking about his family (and holding off on the query until a more suitable time).

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any response from William Reiss since the first of the year?

tessa

Registered
Reaction score
I had a rejection from Anne Hawkins today on my mystery. The timeline was :
query - July 5
full request - July 9
personalized rejection - July 12.

Every email I had from her was polite and her rejection was kind and helpful. I'm disappointed about the rejection (she was on my "dream agent" list), but the full request from her is encouraging and it came on a day when I was feeling really miserable about the whole querying process. I also like that her response was so prompt - at least now I know. I'd certainly recommend this agency.

kobacat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit embarrassed. I queried William Reiss just now and, for perhaps the first time in the process, didn't check him out on querytracker first -- I was just so keen to submit! Got an out of office reply (in its baldest sense: it says "I am away from the office"), checked querytracker and the consensus seems to be that he's retired. No indication of this on the JHA website and it does seem that people have had replies in the meantime, all rejections.

Gah! All the JHA agents seem awesome and I could have queried a different one, had I done my homework.