What's wrong with people? - Acid Attack

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
What I'm curious about is why hasn't this been deemed a "hate crime" yet? The perpetrator was black and the victim was white. Had the roles been reversed it would have been declared a hate crime immediately. Why is this not a hate crime?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think to be a hate crime, there needs to be some indication that the perpetrator acted because of the victim's "hated" attribute. Not all white-on-black, black-on-white or Democrat-on-Republican crimes are considered hate crimes.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Hideous crime.
"She looked down and saw her clothes start to dissolve, then heard the skin on her face "bubbling and sizzling."
I feel a little sick right now. That's horrific.

What I'm curious about is why hasn't this been deemed a "hate crime" yet? The perpetrator was black and the victim was white. Had the roles been reversed it would have been declared a hate crime immediately. Why is this not a hate crime?
I don't understand the term 'hate crime'. Has anyone ever thrown acid on someone out of love?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

I think she'd have to had said, "Death to whitie" or something like that. Or be a part of the ...black version of the KKK.

Is there a black version of the KKK?

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score

I thought the same thing.
To be honest though I dont really like hate crimes. I mean duh, of course no one likes them, but what I mean to say is that what's the point. If you commit a crime against someone you dont like them. You hate them for whatever reason: rich, pretty, white, black, cat dog etc. etc.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
A journalist(?) calling Bethany Storro's honesty into question.

According to Griffith, the police have suspected from the beginning that the wounds might have been self-inflicted. He joined KIRO Radio's Dave Ross on Tuesday to discuss the possibility that Storro was only a victim at her own hand.

Storro recently canceled an appearance on Oprah citing that the topic of discussion might stray from her religious inspiration. In a facebook update she said, "I was going to be on Oprah, but not going to happen! From the very beginning I wanted to inspire people (hope I have) and tell them about Jesus. The show was going to possibly turn into another direction, so my family and I decided not to go on."

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category...100914/Did-woman-splash-acid-in-her-own-face/

I really, really hope this is just a slander shot from an unscrupulousness journalist.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I think to be a hate crime, there needs to be some indication that the perpetrator acted because of the victim's "hated" attribute. Not all white-on-black, black-on-white or Democrat-on-Republican crimes are considered hate crimes.

If I'm correct, I dont think dems hurting republicans or vise versa would count. It has to be based on a protected class. If I kill someone because then hit my wife, its a crime. If I kill them because of their race, or creed or such thing then it's a hate crime.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'll hope with you but at the same time the thought of it being true is rather horrible. I guess only time will tell. I can't imagine someone damaging themselves that way, but there have been others. I do hope this reporter is on the up and up though and not just slandering this woman.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This story is pretty bizarre all around ... I can't think of any useful speculation I could make.
I think she'd have to had said, "Death to whitie" or something like that. Or be a part of the ...black version of the KKK.

Is there a black version of the KKK?
There are certainly blacks who hate whites as much as KKK members hate blacks. While I don't think it was quite the same thing, I do recall there were black groups in the 1960's that promoted violence.
I thought the same thing.
To be honest though I dont really like hate crimes. I mean duh, of course no one likes them, but what I mean to say is that what's the point. If you commit a crime against someone you dont like them. You hate them for whatever reason: rich, pretty, white, black, cat dog etc. etc.
Yes, and I've had the same problem with these "hate crimes." It appears Congress passed the laws (doubling the sentence if it's determined the perp did the crime out of racism, sexism or whatever) just to show how they're "tough on crime" and all that crap. I doubt it does anything at all to reduce crime, other than keeping some criminals in prison longer.

There are huge numbers of laws passed that might "look good" but for which there's been little or no research on their effects, or that are passed in spite of any research indicating against them.
If I'm correct, I dont think dems hurting republicans or vise versa would count. It has to be based on a protected class. If I kill someone because then hit my wife, its a crime. If I kill them because of their race, or creed or such thing then it's a hate crime.
Yes, exactly. If political affiliation were a protected class, politicians couldn't sling mud at one another. How would they run for office?

sulong

Registered
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS!

Vancouver police have just made a ( televised) public statement that Ms Storro inflicted the damage on her self.

Quote; Facts don't add up. Woman admitted it was faked.

sulong

Registered
Reaction score
The printed version is a little slow. Basicly what the cops said was that they served a search warrent around 9;00 am, and are currently interviewing her, but she had admitted to the hoax.

VANCOUVER, Wash. - The acid attack on Bethany Storro was self-inflicted and is a hoax, according to Vancouver police.

The Vancouver Police Department is holding a news conference at 4 p.m. and can been watched here.

This story is in progress and will be updated . . .

http://www.katu.com/news/local/103093719.html

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
we would all do well to heed christ's admonition about throwing stones.

who among us hasn't splashed a cup of acid or two in our own faces just to get a little attention...

hell, i sprayed a half a can of raid into my ear just this morning to get out of a meeting 10 minutes early.

let's not be hypocrites here.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
She wanted attention.

She got it.

How sad...
More like insane. Or perhaps this is a cry for help.

This reminds me about the school teacher who shot herself in the arm and said a Hispanic man did it, only to own up to it later.

Reaction score
The more I hear about humans the more I'm starting to believe there's a percentage of them who are batshit crazy.

Who the hell throws acid in their own face?

I understand suicide. It's over. I'm out.

What is going on on this planet where fellow humanoids do stuff like this?!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And now we know why...:mad:

VANCOUVER, Wash. – A woman who gained sympathy worldwide after she claimed a random assailant threw acid on her face came forward Thursday with startling admission: She inflicted the attack on herself.

Vancouver police chief Clifford Cook said Bethany Storro admitted under police questioning to fabricating a story about the attack, in which she suffered severe burns.

Cook said he did not know a motive for Storro's actions, but added she is "very remorseful." He said Storro was still being interviewed by detectives.
The police chief said that "during the course of the investigation, several discrepancies began to emerge regarding the alleged attack," leading police to search her home earlier Thursday and interview her.

"During the interview, Ms. Storro admitted the injuries were self-inflicted," Cook said.

Police had been seeking a black woman with a ponytail after Storro described the Aug. 30 attack. She had said the woman asked her, "Hey, pretty girl, want something to drink?" then threw acid in her face.

After the incident, Storro made several media appearances, but a planned interview on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" was canceled. She said she had received correspondence from people around the world concerned for her well being.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_thrown_in_face
When is a hate crime not a hate crime? When there's no perpetrator and no victim.

Congratulations, Bethany Storro. You can step right up to next to Charles Stuart, Susan Smith and Ashley Todd.

ashley-todd-ec.jpg

Typically when you need a scapegoat you can usually "blame a brother." You stepped up the game to "slur a sister."

After all, pretty White girls who get acid thrown in their face by psychotic Black women sporting ponytails are instantly sympathetic figures. Who wouldn't feel sorry for Storro?

Too bad she's apparently a psychotic liar.

This poor woman needs professional help. Anyone who would deliberately disfigure herself to gain sympathy, donations and an appearance on Oprah is obviously very, very mentally ill.

And after she gets treatment she needs to go straight to fucking jail.

This moment in post-racial America and skillful media manipulation has been brought to you by Bethany Storro and everyone who got suckered into her web of lies, manipulation and deception.

Let's call it the Reverse-Tawana Brawley Syndrome and cut this shit out, huh?

Last edited:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Bethany Storro. You can step right up to next to Charles Stuart, Susan Smith and Ashley Todd.

Typically when you need a scapegoat you can usually "blame a brother." You stepped up the game to "slur a sister."
And to make it worse, she inspired a copycat crime in my state. Surely, she's an inspiration to us all. :sarcasm

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
She was planning on becoming a huge inspiration to folks, and to talk about religion a lot on Oprah, etc. She was already receiving all kinds of donations.

Actually, the TV docs say it looks like she won't even be scarred.

Batsh!t crazy, maybe. Maybe just a really good con, strangely enough. She should have researched her splash patterns better, among other things.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow.

Not sure what to say here. I think she's insane, and I almost wish she WOULD be scarred.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this updated story on The Today Show this morning.

This would explain why she was so calm about the whole experience when interviewed after it happened. I just played it back. She said, "There's no one to get mad at." Yeah, because nobody threw the acid at her! Maybe that was a tip-off.