• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BooksDreamer Literary Agency

HeatherCW

19 self-pubbed novels and counting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwardell.com
I've been self-publishing my novels since 2009 (nine currently available) and today I received an email from BookDreamers Literary Agency in Italy. They are seeking to represent my books (specifically three of them) in the Italian territory.

I've Googled them and haven't had much success, and I'm wondering a few things:

1) Has anyone heard of this agency?

2) Any suggestions as to how I proceed with investigating this? I have currently made my books available with world distribution but from my quick checks at Amazon and elsewhere I can change that (which of course means I couldn't sell first pub rights and I'll let them know that), but I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how I could vet this opportunity.

If it matters, I am not agented. I did query well over two hundred agents over 3 novels, and then decided to go it alone. I love being self-published and I don't see myself going after a traditional deal any time soon, but something about an Italian-specific one intrigues me.

Any suggestions of how to investigate this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather
http://www.heatherwardell.com

HeatherCW

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwardell.com
Thank you! I did find the original website link you posted but though I clicked all the links on their sidebar I didn't see that some pages have the 'translate to English' button at the bottom. Your second link is very interesting - I have no intentions of paying for editing. It wasn't mentioned in the first email either, although I do know that if they're attempting to reel me in they will likely save that for when they think I'm hooked. :)

I appreciate your quick response and will keep my wits about me as I keep investigating.

Heather

Jediprincess

Registered
Reaction score
I received an email from them as well and have the same questions. Keep me posted.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Doesn't look to me as if the two principals have much, if any, professional publishing experience. A spot check of clients reveals no sign of commercial sales.

Edited to add: this page makes it pretty clear that there's no separation between the editing and the agenting sides of the business.

- Victoria

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing new, then, except for it being Italian.

Deleted member 42

They sent me a form letter with grammar issues about a book I edited on inflected pronouns.

They seem to think it's fiction. (Alas, it is more akin to dramatic tragedy or epic; such is the nature of philology publishing.)

They're not paying attention. I'd keep walking.

HeatherCW

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwardell.com
Just a followup - I did receive their contract and there is no mention anywhere of charging for editing. In communication with them I learned that they do not do any editing for foreign authors and so naturally there are no charges for it.

I have gone ahead and accepted the contract. I understand that they're new, and I was in the agent hunt long enough to know the risks of that, but I feel comfortable with it in this case.

I will report back when I have additional news. :)

Heather

Last edited: