Holocaust Novel

downtherabbithole

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a novel about the aftermath of the Holocaust. The Holocaust itself is a tough sell, yes, but this book's meat is about the rarely written about period right after the Holocaust. My agent likes the idea, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm starting off Part I as the main character talking about the events leading up to the "meat", which basically includes a story about the Holocaust--as in what happened in Auschwitz. Although this story talks about a group not widely represented in literature about the Holocaust, I sometimes wonder if it is too much. I know a lot about this period in history, however, and I don't want to assume things are common knowledge and omit the beginning entirely.

Help?

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The basic motifs of the Holocaust (trains, gas chambers, yellow stars, numbered tatoos etc.) will be familiar to most people in the Western world. I don't think you need to go into too much background detail unless it adds to the story. Some might assume that only Jews were targetted, so if your character is from one of the other targetted groups (gypsies, gays, Jehovah's witnesses, etc.), you may have to add a little background about this.