Potential Oops in Partial Send Out

MatchmakerJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bitterpudding.blogspot.com
I had an agent request my partial on Monday. In my delirious state of excitement I did not change the subject line to "Requested Materials" and simply replied to the email.

Should I be concerned about it getting lost?

I'm wondering if I should re-send or wait a few weeks and follow up.

Thanks in advance.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I don't think I ever changed the subject line in my emails when agents requested partials or fulls via email, just replied to their email to me. I wound up with two agent offers via emailed fulls, so I don't think it worked against me! I think that, especially if you send it soon after they request it, they're expecting it so it doesn't matter that you didn't change the subject line.

Of course, if the amount of time they list as their response time for partials goes by and you hear nothing, it's perfectly acceptable to go ahead and status query just to make sure they got your partial.

Good luck!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Resend it, say that you've had some concerns about whether email is getting through, and leave it at that.

Put: REQUESTED MATERIALS: RESENT

and head up your cover note with: "I just wanted to resend this because I've had some concerns about email not going through."

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
MatchmakerJane - I wouldn't resend it. If your email had a "Re: subject line" in the subject, it will not get marked as spam, I am pretty sure of that. Of course, if you want to put your mind at ease, go ahead and resend, but I think it's not necessary! Congrats on the partial!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I've never changed the subject line when sending things to agents and I've never had an agent not respond to me.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the "requested material" was only necessary on snail mail submissions anyway. Still, I wouldn't worry about it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Resending carries no risk at all; not resending might cost MatchmakerJane some anxiety. So the cost/benefit ratio argues for resending.

MatchmakerJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bitterpudding.blogspot.com
Yup. You nailed it IceCream.

I've read so many stories on this board about people landing in SPAM filters and having their stuff lost for months. Plus, I know a lot of agents delete emails that carry a "query" subject line and an attachment. It wasn't worth the risk to me and i figure if nothing else it shows that I'm thorough.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent request my partial on Monday. In my delirious state of excitement I did not change the subject line to "Requested Materials" and simply replied to the email.

Should I be concerned about it getting lost?

No, don't be worried. I've never heard of using "requested materials" on the subject line; that is only for snail mail. If they asked you to do that, that's one thing, otherwise, let it go.

Danthia

Agents know who they request stuff from. And plenty of people put "requested materials" on their letters even when they aren't, so those are often ignored.

Do what eases your mind ;) Both are acceptable.