• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

she writes hard for the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
If you can sell at all, $17,000 is not a tough number to reach. It just isn't. We're not talking about replacing a high-paying job with great benefits, and I'm guessing we're not talking about paying off a mortgage, and probably not even a new car. We're talk about just three thousand dollars above minimum wage.

We're talking $327 a week. You don't even have to write novels at all to earn better than this. I can make that much writing short stories, and just about three times that writing articles, and do so without hitting any of the really big markets.

Marion Zimmer Bradley used to say that anyone who could sell one short story to a good magazine could earn a living as a writer. Assuming the writer actually plants his butt in a chair and writes as often as he should, treats writing as a business, and doesn't screw around taking two months to write a short story, or two years to write a novel, there's no reason this isn't true.

"If" bolded for emphasis.

Catching that first rabbit is not easy. Truthfully, I got tired of submitting to magazines because I just could not seem to get my foot in the door. (Granted, I was very picky about where I submitted -- if it didn't pay pro rates, it was off my list.)

And I know I don't suck -- these were the same short stories that I wrote at Clarion West and the one that got me accepted there in the first place. Lots of nice, "what else have you got?" feedback, but no checks. I realized that I had a stronger passion for writing novels and put short stories on the back burner. I've written a new one here and there but haven't submitted much.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think two months to write a decent short story is that slow if you have a full time job to deal with besides writing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I remember reading somewhere that $5000 a year was some kind of median for professionally published writers. But this was a number of years ago, and I don't know if it was averaging people who sell a short story to a pro market (nowadays defined as $0.05 a word or better) now and again in with people who have actually published novels. I also don't know whether they were averaging people who may have just sold one pro market story or even one novel ever, or if there is some minimum level of ongoing publication activity they were using.

Obviously, a distribution of writer earnings is going to have a cluster of tightly clumped numbers to the left of the median (whatever it currently is), because you can't make less than 0 a year as a writer (well, okay, with self publishing and its associated expenses, actually you can now :) ). But there are a tiny handful of writers who make vast amounts of money from their writing, so the distribution of author incomes will not be bell shaped.

I think it is safe to say, though, that the majority of published writers, even novelists, do not support themselves solely by their writing. Some are lucky enough to have spouses who make enough to subsidize their income, or to have professions that allow them to work part time and still make enough to get by. But a lot of writers struggle with trying to eke out at least a couple of hours of writing time each day around the normal demands of full time jobs and family obligations.

In the end, it's something people do because they love to do it. Supporting oneself with one's writing at any level, let alone a reasonably comfortable middle class income, is not something most writers get. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be something one should want or hope for. Just remember to set realistic and reasonable goals for your writing at this stage of the game (goals like writing a certain amount of time each day, getting a certain number of stories written and submitted, finishing a novel etc).

17,000 is a reasonably modest goal and so is more attainable, certainly, than someone who has a house and a mortgage and two kids headed for college and who needs to replace the income from a 75,000 a year job. But as with anything else, you have to focus on setting goals you can control (i.e. writing as much and as well as you can), because you have far less control over who buys your writing and how much they'll pay you for it if they do.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the average income numbers are hard to interpret as there is not real measure of whether these are people who are or aspire to be full time writers, or whether some of their other income is writing related.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I have a writing acquaintance who is a lawyer. He has written around 3-4 novels all on the NY Times Bestseller List and he still works part-time.

It all depends on what your needs are. Some people might be able to live on $17,000 a year, but where I live that salary would not pay monthly rent or a mortgage.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Nonfiction can pay more steadily, imho. If you can write for the business world, like technical or textbook writing, and write fiction, that's the way to go, imho. Magazine writing might work, too, but I know little about that.

Some folks just write nonfiction and do make a good living :) But I'm doing the fiction thing, too, yeah. I adore fiction. It really should pay more, more steadily, darnit.

keepcalmandwriteon

Registered
Reaction score
I've never considered writing short stories before. Can someone tell me a little bit about what kind of short stories are marketable? How do I go about asking to write one, and what kind of places need short story authors? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable in the short story area.

This sounds like something I could do while I wait for my novel to get that movie contract. :p

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Marion Zimmer Bradley used to say that anyone who could sell one short story to a good magazine could earn a living as a writer.
When Marion Zimmer Bradley said that there were a heck of a lot more magazines, and the cost of living was a lot lower.

The cost of living has gone up; the price-per-word the magazines pay has stayed the same.

This could be true if you take it to mean "anyone capable of writing on a professional level," but earning a living as a short story writer? These days?

I don't think so.

I've never considered writing short stories before. Can someone tell me a little bit about what kind of short stories are marketable?

What kind of short stories do you read?

How do I go about asking to write one,
You don't ask, you just write them, then send them out to appropriate markets.

and what kind of places need short story authors?
Fiction magazines. There aren't all that many print zines any more. You do find more and more web-zines that pay money.

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable in the short story area.
Go to your local bookstore. Find some recent anthologies. Where did the stories in them come from? (Year's Best anthologies are great for this.) For other anthologies that include original works (rather than reprints), find the name of the editor. Write to that editor to see if he or she is working on a new anthology.

Go to your local library and check out a copy of Publishers Market or Literary Marketplace. Look for short story markets. Then get several copies of each magazine that you think might be appropriate for your stories, and read them. Go to writers' conferences and network. You'd be surprised how many anthologies are proposed, accepted, and filled, within a couple of hours at the bar.

This sounds like something I could do while I wait for my novel to get that movie contract. :p
You could. You'd be better advised to write a new novel, though.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
I've never considered writing short stories before. Can someone tell me a little bit about what kind of short stories are marketable?

I market mine through a digital-first publisher and through self-publication. I write romance, erotic romance and erotica, and my short stories average 8K.

Past that... all I can say is research your genre and publishers, and see who takes shorter stuff.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I have a dear friend who is a full-time writer. She's on housing benefit and lives in a council flat and lurches from one financial crisis to the next. The high life!

Status
Not open for further replies.