• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Infinity Publishing

dennis_coleman

I have used them several times. I would not recommend them.

dennis_coleman

Without trying to be unkind, I found that they did not always do things quite as promised. Also, I found that they sold several red-lined books to customers, and would not make good on them.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Without trying to be unkind, I found that they did not always do things quite as promised. Also, I found that they sold several red-lined books to customers, and would not make good on them.

You still around? Details, please. Details.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Could you be more specific?
Jim, we just signed an author whose first book was with Infinity. I was shocked at the horrible job they did on this man's book. The inside book design was the worst I've ever seen. Intead of paragraph indentations, they simply do an extra carriage return, and the text is squeezed in at the very top of the page. The only way the reader knows the difference between a header and the text is a line that's spread across the top. The paper quality is as cheap as it gets. Awful. No one should give this printer a single dime for the pathetic quality of the finished product.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Yikes, Lynn.

This is why I advise people who are thinking of using a service like Infinity to order a couple of books before making a decision. The quality is amazingly variable.

- Victoria

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Site link:

http://www.infinitypublishing.com/

P&E says this about them.

A vanity publisher located in Pennsylvania and affiliated with Spoken Books Publishing. "With our Author-Originated Book Publishing method authors retain all rights to their work, enjoy royalties paid monthly, benefit from expansive distribution outlets, and enjoy the convenience of our generous bookstore return policy. Find out how our author-friendly book publishing method can take you from un-published writer to published author." 11/30/07: P&E is hearing good things about this publisher.

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
It is a great list, but by it's nature, not all inclusive. i've started reading a lot about Infinity Publishing and they seem to be a better deal than most of the other PODs out there. Has anybody had any dealings with them or heard anything about them.

As i'm getting older, (66) and have still not managed to get any of my Poetry published, I am considering having my collected works published (450 Poems and 55 Song lyrics, and mailing copies, (if they turn out well enough to be acceptable) to at least a few major libraries, just so I will leave some permanent record for antiquity.

Unlike Dickenson and some others, I dont believe I can depend on my family to make them available to the public, (although I will send them copies as well).

I'm well aware, that this sounds like a move of desperation, but I am out of synch with today's markets and don't think I'll live until the cycle changes, so, if I have any hope of my work lasting beyond my lifetime, I am increasingly aware that I'm going to have to take some steps, however desperate, to achieve that, so any comments that will help me evaluate 'Infinity" or any other POD publisher will be appreciated.

James R. Hoye, (JRH)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Infinity charges a "one-time set-up fee" of $499.00. While Lulu offers many of the services that Infinity does -- Lulu's basic package is $500.00 -- you're able to set up with them under your own imprint for $99.00. Otherwise, there's no charge to actually set up with them. Lulu information here.

If you're looking for "books in hand", you don't even have to go with Lulu's $500.00 package or the ISBN number that's offered for $99.00. It might be even cheaper if you went to a local copy shop.

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I'm still in no rush, but any information I can get helps.

JRH

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've moved JRH's post and Ben's reply from the "Writer Beware's Thumbs Down Publisher List" thread to this thread, where JRH can find more discussion of Infinity.

Since "charging fees" is one of the criteria that puts publishers on our Thumbs Down List, Writer Beware is often asked why pay-to-publish companies like Infinity, AuthorHouse, Trafford, etc. aren't included. That's because these companies offer a straightforward self-publishing service in which the fees and services are clearly stated. Our "Thumbs Down" fee-charging publishers are all deceptive in some way--for instance, presenting themselves as "traditional" publishers when in fact they are vanity publishers. We may not feel that self-publishing is a good idea in most cases--but we have no problem with companies like Infinity, which provide full disclosure and don't pretend to be something they're not.

- Victoria

copnovelist1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelPhelpsNovels.com
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a novel; in the Fiction (although based on true incidents), Police-Detective-Courtroom genre. I have already paid a Professional Editor (I selected from Lulu's web site). "The Execution of Justice" is the first of a series (The Detective Mike Walsh Novels). The second and third (working) are also based on actual cases I worked on. I am doing the Self-Publishing route first, because I forced myself into a position where I want this book out. The second & Third, I will attempt the traditional publishing (after obtaining a Literary Agent). I am ready to do this now, and after much resdearch, I am trying to decide between Lulu and Infinity Publishing. If anyone can give me experieced feedback on Lulu and/or Infinity, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Phelps

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Mike, is there any way I can get you to reconsider? Regardless of whether you go with Lulu or Infinity or any other self-or-vanity publisher, the track record for self-published fiction is dire.

It's likely that you already know, by name, everyone who will ever read the first book of your series. Selling a series to a commercial publisher when the first book is already out (and a proven failure) is even harder than selling a series normally is -- and that's darned tough to do.

copnovelist1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelPhelpsNovels.com
Good Morning Mr. MacDonald,
I would truly prefer the Agent/Mainstream (Traditional) Publisher route, however timing is of paramount importance. I undertook this project because the slain officer was a close friend-mentor, and I want his family to have this (his wife is ailing) NOW. While working as Chief Investigator for a criminal defense law firm in Coral Gables (Miami) Florida, I co-authored "David Janssen-My Fugitive" with the late actor's first wife, Ellie Janssen. It was published by Lifetime Books of Hollywood, FL. The book was a moderate success (although Lifetime cheated Ellie and I out of a small fortune), I decided to write novels of fiction, based on actual police/courtroom cases. I am now immersed in reading "self-help" books on writing, hoping to hone my craft.

Again, thank you for your sage advice and concern. I have read many of your posts and have gained high regard for your wisdom and experience. The fact that you so freely share with others on this sight indicates to me that you are a true professional with compassion for struggling writers.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Mike Phelps

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
You may want to compare them all...

Explain what you are trying to do and maybe more people can chime in and help you.

GraysonMoran

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It scares me when people come up with phrases like "author originated publishing" instead of "self-publishing".
If it's so great, why euphemize it. They are charging you to publish your book. You can do it yourself, for free on lulu.com. I don't see what the issue is, I guess.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
I have known people who have used Infinity. The only complaint I've heard from these people is how much they had to pay to have changes made to their proof copy. It was pretty steep.

GraysonMoran

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You hear from people who have paid $1600 to publish a book, sold three of them and are quite happy with the whole thing.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Just thought I'd add my two cents here as a reader.

I read an Infinity Publishing book last year, and thought the cover design and the layout of the text were clean and professional. There were no typos that I could find. However, much of this (at least the text layout) would appear to be the work of the author herself, who runs her own editing/formatting service: http://www.fernjhill.com/index.html

So while I can't really recommend Infinity Publishing over any other self-publisher, they do appear to allow the author to do what he/she wants with the book. I enjoyed Fern J. Hill's novel thoroughly and probably would've bought it regardless of who published it. (Though I probably wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't met the author personally at a writing conference book fair.)

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Now that Infinity is no longer a family-owned business (the Giorgio family used to own it), it seems to be borrowing some promotional ideas from PA and other vanities: see this promo.

Where they used to offer one publishing package for $499 (although that was sometimes negotiable), they now offer a range of packages. Plus they now have a several add-on "services": marketing ranges from $125 to $2,695,

A few months ago, when I ordered 20 books for a reading/signing, I had to pay a $4.50 "handling fee." (With a minimum of 20 there is no charge for postage.)

It has been nearly 5 years since Infinity published my last collection of previously published columns. Although Infinity worked for my small projects in the past, given the change in how they now do business, I no longer recommend the company as a publishing option.

My last two books, by the way, have been published with a small commercial press. I've moved on.

Last edited: