Reminder: Don't Drink and Drive

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
An eight-year-old girl died Christmas Eve, in a car crash. Her father was taking her home from a family event.

It's all speculation at this point, what happened. But...

Police say alcohol and speed may have been a factor in the crash but Lauren's mother says Smith was a good father who would never put his daughter in harm's way.

"For them to say that he was drunk is crazy," she said. "Do not blame him. He took care of her. When he didn't have the money, he still took care of her. He watched over when I went to school. He kept her during the week."
Y'know, alcohol doesn't give a damn how good a father you are. If the guy was drunk, he was drunk. We don't know that he was.

Remember, though, at a raucous, jubilant affair, it can be very easy to lose track of your drinking. And I've personally experienced the feeling of being on the road when that buzzed feeling came on after I'd left a club.

The dad is probably every bit the good dad that the mom says he is. And that means the poor guy is going through hell right now.

Police say Smith apparently lost control [of] the car ending up against a tree the roof crushed below seat level.

"They didn't know she was back there for almost 40 minutes," Hall said. "They didn't know she was back there."

Folks, nothing is worth this. Take care, don't drink and drive, and watch your speed. In another story, a 4-year-old boy was ejected from an SUV when the SUV had a rollover accident. That boy is dead. And it's believed he was not in a seat belt.

We can't protect ourselves against all possibilities, but there's no reason to tempt fate and have a tragedy like this mark your holidays for years to come.

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's harder to avoid the drunk drivers if you are one.

:( how awful.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I almost got killed by a drunk driver last year, so stories like this make me sad and angry. Still dealing with the repercussions to this day. I have zero sympathy for the drunks but much empathy for the victims.

These tragedies are the result of nothing more than pure, irresponsible stupidity and are 100% avoidable.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Until they make drunk driving a serious crime with serious penalties, I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's a joke how many people get charged with DUIs, and attend "addiction classes," and "anger management classes," and "sober living classes," and "defensive driving classes," in order to get a waived or reduced sentence. Having worked in jails, inmates who are actually serving time for DUIs (there are a few) would talk about what a joke those classes were. Nobody took them seriously. It was a hoop to get through in order to get off easy.

My husband knows a guy who got 3 DUIs. He spent 4 days in jail for his third, but since his parents had money and could get him a lawyer, it was back to "defensive driving" classes for him. And mandatory sobriety meetings--where he said he met a woman and they went to a bar, got loaded and drove to a motel.

I can't think of anyone who has actually had to do hard time or pay severe fines for drunk driving anymore.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Until they make drunk driving a serious crime with serious penalties, I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's a joke how many people get charged with DUIs, and attend "addiction classes," and "anger management classes," and "sober living classes," and "defensive driving classes," in order to get a waived or reduced sentence. Having worked in jails, inmates who are actually serving time for DUIs (there are a few) would talk about what a joke those classes were. Nobody took them seriously. It was a hoop to get through in order to get off easy.

My husband knows a guy who got 3 DUIs. He spent 4 days in jail for his third, but since his parents had money and could get him a lawyer, it was back to "defensive driving" classes for him. And mandatory sobriety meetings--where he said he met a woman and they went to a bar, got loaded and drove to a motel.

I can't think of anyone who has actually had to do hard time or pay severe fines for drunk driving anymore.

It really comes down to how much you are willing to pay your lawyer. I have a family member who -- after 7 DUIs -- manages to ONLY serve about 15 days in jail and a year's probation. The crazy part is that part of the deal is that NONE OF IT is on her criminal record. Her employers have no idea that she has a drinking problem. If they did, she'd be fired or suspended.

Well...she has money and knows the right people. And, she is still drinking and driving.