• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Rubin Pfeffer Content

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
So today I got an interesting comment on my blog. It's from an agent at Rubin Pfeffer Content, she's interested in the MG I'm querying (though technically I've paused that for a revision). I have the query posted in a tab on my blog and she wants me to query her.

Here is the site: http://www.rpcontent.com/

From what I can see this is brand new agency split from East West Literary Agency. Rubin Pfeffer is a former Simon & Schuster editor and they have quite a few book posted in their "author and illustrators" tabs.

Looks pretty good to me but I check here obsessively before querying anyone so I thought I'd start a thread for them :)

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Hmmmm...looks like they have some legit authors - Elana K. Arnold has a deal with Random House. Not sure if they're doing eBook publishing on the side, or what. It's weird that she came to you, though. Maybe your stuff is just that good!

There's also a nice write up about Pfeffer at Publishers Weekly. No warnings on P&E or anywhere that I can see. I'd say go for it.

Last edited:

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Well they just opened their doors this year. Rubin's been around for a while and I'm guessing brought over his clients. The agent who contacted me is a woman and I assume she's newer and is building her list. No idea how she came across my blog but I've heard of it happening.

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
They have a clean record on Preditors and Editors, which is a good sign. They seem to have a good publishing list too. I say go for it!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yeah, I'm sure I'll give it a shot. I'm still in the middle of a revision though so hopefully the invite will stay open a few more weeks. I don't want to send something not ready.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If you're serious about submitting to her, I'd suggest sending her an e-mail letting her know your situation (that you are revising and will query her once revisions are done, add timeline). This is assuming you haven't done the latter already.

In my experience with agents, the invites never close since they only ask about things that are really interesting to them.

Anyway, congratulations on the unsolicited request! That's always exciting. (And good luck, too, with the novel.)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Their submissions page first states that they "accept submissions by referral only" (underline is theirs), but go on to say that they accept queries with manuscripts attached as PDF or DOC file at such-and-such email address.

So... open to submissions or not? :/

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
Their submissions page first states that they "accept submissions by referral only" (underline is theirs), but go on to say that they accept queries with manuscripts attached as PDF or DOC file at such-and-such email address.

So... open to submissions or not? :/
It looks like they're closed to unsolicited queries & submissions. Their site provides instructions only for those who are submitting by referral.

ETA: Yeah, what Thedrellum said. :)

Last edited:

notveryalice

mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.notveryalice.com
So today I got an interesting comment on my blog. It's from an agent at Rubin Pfeffer Content, she's interested in the MG I'm querying (though technically I've paused that for a revision). I have the query posted in a tab on my blog and she wants me to query her.

I'm betting she's my agent! Send me a PM with her name if you want to be sure. Good luck!

Note to mod: Rubin's name is spelled wrong in the index ;)

Last edited:

notveryalice

mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.notveryalice.com
I thought of something that might help potential RPC clients: whilst I can't in good conscience give you the name of my agent (she isn't public yet, building her client list first), I CAN tell you she's easy to find. Search her name, and information about her will pop up straight away. She has a big footprint.

scottblagden

YA author
Registered
Reaction score
Don’t know if you’ve submitted to RPC yet, but I can tell you that Rubin Pfeffer is beyond legit. He represents me and sold my debut YA to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and it went on to make the 2014 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults list. He is extremely well-known and well-respected in the industry and every one of his clients I have talked to feel lucky and honored to have him as their agent (myself included). Be sure your manuscript is absolutely the best it can be before you submit because he is VERY picky. I don’t know who the assistant is who contacted you, but the MS will definitely have to be approved by him. Good luck.

notveryalice

mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.notveryalice.com
Don’t know if you’ve submitted to RPC yet, but I can tell you that Rubin Pfeffer is beyond legit. He represents me and sold my debut YA to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and it went on to make the 2014 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults list. He is extremely well-known and well-respected in the industry and every one of his clients I have talked to feel lucky and honored to have him as their agent (myself included). Be sure your manuscript is absolutely the best it can be before you submit because he is VERY picky. I don’t know who the assistant is who contacted you, but the MS will definitely have to be approved by him. Good luck.

Hey Scott,

Melissa Nasson (I can say her name now, yay!) isn't Rubin's assistant. She's an agent with the agency. She approves her own clients.

Cheers,
A.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Melissa Nasson just sent me an email requesting the first 50 pages! The very highlight of my day.

Does anyone know her response times on requested work?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Undercover, I queried her in November after meeting her at a local SCBWI event. She requested the full manuscript in mid-December, then sent me a R&R letter in late January. I did the suggested revisions and sent the story back to her in early March...and am waiting for a response.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Blowing the dust off of this thread a little.

I queried Amy Thrall Flynn for an MG fantasy on 5/16/2022.
Heard back today with a partial request, first 50 pages.

Has anyone had any personal dealings with these folks lately?