Status
Not open for further replies.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Maybe I should rephrase that. Does self promotion, including blogs, Twitter, Facebook, even book signings, really help a writer starting from ground zero?

Now, I can see once you got some sales, once you're becoming popular, how self promotion can drive you higher. Always nice to have a web site for your favorite author. But does they help a nobody to get started?

Consider. I read maybe 50 books a year (much more many years ago, but that was before all this electronic stuff.) As I reader, I've never gone to a book signing, never based a purchase on a blog, Tweet, Text, or Facebook recommendation. They simply aren't an effective way of reaching me.

Now that I'm trying to become a writer, sure, I search blogs and articles and all types of stuff. Sometimes that writing quest leads to interesting new books I wouldn't have found. But isn't that a case of writers appealing to other writers, not writers appealing to a new audience?

Now, speaking as a reader there as some ways to get my attention. Good reviews on Amazon or Goodreads. Good reviews on blog's I read regularly. Reviewer lists on Amazon. Personal recommendations. But there are a million or more blogs out there. The odds of me discovering a new author and a new book by random searching of blogs is pretty close to zero.

Maintaining a blob or similar that's interesting enough to make people come again and again is a lot of work. Especially for aspiring author who also has a full time job. To be it seems pointless. Better to spend the energy writing another better and improved novel.

My opinion of course. What's yours?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I don't know what works and what doesn't, but I have bought books based on Twitter recommendations. In fact, that's where I've discovered the majority of new books lately.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I do check out writer websites when I want to learn more about a book or an author, but I usually head for the Amazon Top 100 Lists and check out the covers, titles and blurb, then the reviews. I'll check out the sample and then the price. If I get green lights at every turn, I'll buy the e-book. I've gotten spoiled with e-books and haven't bought a paperback book since I bought an iPad. I will usually check out the "also bought" books after I checkout, too.

It seems that one of the best promotion tools is to write another book.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I've been published 4 years and self promoting (SP) the entire time in addition to what my publisher does. Early in my career I was overwhelmed with all the SP avenues and when I researched the web there was little to state what worked and what didn't so I started collecting quantitative data on each SP activity I performed and the results were surprising as heck, many counter intuitive to what I expected.

To share the results I wrote a three part article on two dozen SP avenues and ranked them in terms or what worked best for me. The article is available via my link page (Davisstories.com) under "SP: what works/what doesn't". Hope you find it helpful.

Elvirnith

Dark Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronaldcraft.com
Maybe I should rephrase that. Does self promotion, including blogs, Twitter, Facebook, even book signings, really help a writer starting from ground zero?

Now, I can see once you got some sales, once you're becoming popular, how self promotion can drive you higher. Always nice to have a web site for your favorite author. But does they help a nobody to get started?

Consider. I read maybe 50 books a year (much more many years ago, but that was before all this electronic stuff.) As I reader, I've never gone to a book signing, never based a purchase on a blog, Tweet, Text, or Facebook recommendation. They simply aren't an effective way of reaching me.

Now that I'm trying to become a writer, sure, I search blogs and articles and all types of stuff. Sometimes that writing quest leads to interesting new books I wouldn't have found. But isn't that a case of writers appealing to other writers, not writers appealing to a new audience?

Now, speaking as a reader there as some ways to get my attention. Good reviews on Amazon or Goodreads. Good reviews on blog's I read regularly. Reviewer lists on Amazon. Personal recommendations. But there are a million or more blogs out there. The odds of me discovering a new author and a new book by random searching of blogs is pretty close to zero.

Maintaining a blob or similar that's interesting enough to make people come again and again is a lot of work. Especially for aspiring author who also has a full time job. To be it seems pointless. Better to spend the energy writing another better and improved novel.

My opinion of course. What's yours?

Word of mouth is your best friend. Seriously. You have to, somehow, get people talking about your novel. If you've been part of any communities for any length of time, that's a good place to start. If you think the people there will support you, tell them about your new book and pitch it to them a bit.

That's how I got started when I published my novel (on the 12th) and it's gotten me off to a great start. I've sold 61 copies already. Not huge, by any margin, but for an author nobody has ever heard of it's a good place to start.

From there, just look into reviews. Again, this goes with getting people to talk about your book. Submit requests to all the review sites that specialize in your genre, and hopefully some of them will post on Amazon or GoodReads too.

The more people are talking about your book the more attention you'll receive.

Edit: Oh, and I'm currently running ads on GoodReads as an experiment to see if that's a viable means of advertising. I have an ad at 0.40 a click and 0.50 a click, so I'll see how that goes over a month or so.

Last edited:

bektamun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampiresrevealed.weebly.com
As another unknown setting out into the wilderness which is book promotion, I like to believe that any promotion is better than no promotion.

Sure right now, no one may search for my blog by name...heck, they probably haven't even heard of me. But if even just one person hears about me and goes looking, there is something to find. A way to connect with a potential new reader.

My day job is running my own business, so I completely understand about the time and energy drain of self-promotion. Balance is the key factor. Do what you can, when you can and everything will fall into place.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
good stuff

Thanks. Nothing you said really really surprised me, but it was all very interesting. S/B required reading for all newly published authors.

SummerSurf57

Banned
Reaction score
I think it works, permitting you do it correctly and your work is worth publicising. Good luck, if you choose to take on this venture.

austen

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything to add, but gleaned a lot from this thread. Thanks, Michael, for the links to your articles. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.