Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Good! Just got to my computer and read over all of Para's amazing comments for my first three chapters. Now i'm going to start fixing thing up! Watch "White Collar" (i'm newly addicted and obsessed. Plus the guy looks JUST like how i pictured my character Rob) when my brain overheats!

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching Doctor Who, Sherlock (I'm rewatching episodes) and the movie Seven Pounds at the same time. Well, not at the same time like all at once, but you know ;) I'm taking a break from research. I spent an hour and a half writing up notes on Rhabdomyosarcoma.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. Why are you researching cancer? School project?

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
A SNI, actually. I've always wanted to write something with cancer, and I finally got the idea.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Having a "My writing sucks, I want to give up" phase right now. I'm tempted to rewrite the entire MS by scratch. GAH!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
A SNI, actually. I've always wanted to write something with cancer, and I finally got the idea.

SO weird! I just came up with a SNI that involves a girl getting cancer!!! She has Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare and aggressive type of bone cancer.

Having a "My writing sucks, I want to give up" phase right now. I'm tempted to rewrite the entire MS by scratch. GAH!

I know what you mean Karla, I've been in that phase REALLY BAD for the last two months... One night while crying over it i even got so fed up i deleted my entire "writing" folder that holds everything i've ever wrote...

The feeling got better a few days later and i felt extremely lucky that i back everything up triple fold.

But I'm still battling with it. Alot. Dont worry your wiriting doesnt suck, and either does mine. The feelings will pass. :Hug2: Dont bother rewriting the whole thing if you really dont need too. (Take it from me, i'm on my 7th re-write right now.)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hehehe, yeah i have a hard time writing in the POV of a boy. Although i'm going to do it again in the future for a SNI.

How old is your MC? Mine, Emma is 16.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
That pathetic moment when you have to check to see how old your MC is.
:D
Mine is 15.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Haha :)

I have the ending figured out and everything. Actually, the end was one of the first scenes I thought of.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ally!

Yeah, I might end up rewriting it. For one thing, I already know my first drafts have been cleaner/smoother recently. So once I figure out what scenes to keep/cut/add after reading my MS, I can plan accordingly and rewrite from there. It might be more efficient that way, and hopefully the draft can be tighter, so that I can have more room to expand with more in-depth descriptions than my bare bones.

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
I just started rewriting a book I'd been working on since April 2008, so don't feel bad :)

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes head in*

helloooo

everywhere I go on the internet seems dead today.

what do you mean you have lives/things to do on a friday night

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
exactly the same. I've got so much schoolwork, it's never-ending. And the weekend always flies by in the space of a few seconds and I'm just like what happened to free time?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
exactly the same. I've got so much schoolwork, it's never-ending. And the weekend always flies by in the space of a few seconds and I'm just like what happened to free time?

I know! My goal for today was to get all my homework done and I barely managed to finish any of it. Reading took a lot longer than I expected.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
ahahaha same, I was all like, "I'm going to get next week's work started on!" and I barely have.

I should at least try to finish my problem set tomorrow & do my readings blerghhhh

I ALWAYS underestimate how long something will take, I'll be like, "ah, this should only take half an hour" but then it's two hours later...of course, my attention span is not the greatest.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Exactly! Tomorrow I might have a couple hours during which I am in my dorm and able to do homework. I'm going to be gone most of the day. I'm probably going to have to lock myself in the study room on Sunday to get it all done.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I have a quiz I need to take, and then I need to clean my house. There's a bunch of people coming over tomorrow night, and since I'm the one who invited them, I feel like I should be the one to make sure the house is clean, and for some weird reason I prefer cleaning at one or two in the morning. So my plans for the night: take the (stupid) quiz, get laundry started, eat (a *VERY* late) dinner, clean the living room, work on AM, clean the kitchen, work on AM, clean the bathroom, work on AM, work on getting my room clean, AM, sleep.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan!

Weirdly enough my cancer story idea came to me in the weirdest of ways from a really rather horrible, but catchy song i found. I was playing it in my car on the way home from school "Casual Sex" by My Darkest Day. Yeah horrible song... but for some reason it sparked this idea.... I really have no idea how. The books got really nothing to do with sex. I get ideas from the strangest things.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Dont know if anyone is awake yet. But just a question to throw out there.

Anyone write about Dragons? Read alot about dragons?

My question is. My MC's are dealing with a rather small dragon (its body about the size of a large SUV) So I'm figuring its wing span's got to be pretty damn huge right. Say what 25-30 feet on the short scale of it. So this brings me to my question. If that dragon is rather close to you, hovering over you, how severe of a wind force do you think it flapping its wings would cause? I'm not expecting a tornado, but it would have a good few pounds of resistance behind it right?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know exact measurements or anything, but it sounds like it would definitely turn your umbrella inside out :tongue

If you weren't expecting it, it'd probably knock you over a little; maybe you wouldn't fall, but you'd stumble. I think a person could stay standing through it, depending on how strong they are. Is this for TAJ? I remember you saying your characters were on the small side because (I think) they weren't getting that much food and so were rather weak, so they might need to hold hands or hold onto each other to stand well. They'd probably need to squint to see.

Honestly, if they wanted to fight the dragon they'd have to get out of the area immediately affected by it's wings, because standing in that wind would take all the effort they had and they wouldn't be able to see it anyway. Could they climb in a tree or get some sort of elevation? That might help. If they aren't trained in that sort of thing, they would have to fight from a distance, and could probably only wound it enough to get by- unless they have a way you've thought of. Maybe one could try and get some elevation and throw stones in its eyes, blinding it? It's a bit of a stretch, but hey, what's fiction for?

Then again, it's fiction. There's magic and swords and dragons aren't real, so you could decide it's weaknesses. Maybe it's neck is really thin and easy to slice through. Or maybe you already know how they'll deal with it. Maybe they befriend it!

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.