The ends! (let's talk about the ends of stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate a good cry. There ARE no good cries! I'll toss a book and avoid that author again if they pull one of those.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like a surprise ending. You didn't see it coming.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
His Thunderous Longboat

Too Wicked to Go To The Baths

Trojan Stallion

All popular Aristotle novels. Great stuff.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I hate a good cry. There ARE no good cries! I'll toss a book and avoid that author again if they pull one of those.

I hate and love it when a book makes me cry. It means I really believe in the characters. I'm not a fan of making the reader cry at every turn, but if I cried while writing it, some people damn well better bring out the hankies while reading it. Killing a character is one of the hardest things to do (for me at least), and when an author powers ahead with such a thing for the good of the story, I have to respect that.

Then again, I am not a fan of pointless deaths. Death needs a reason, and for me, saving the world from evil just doesn't cut it. No one is that selfless, at least no one I'm interested in reading about anymore. I've had my fill of "I'm destined to save man/elf/dwarf/mousekind" heroes.

huxley

Registered
Reaction score
ok here are some more endings that I observed.

1. The hidden wound scenario : mc saves someone and in the process he is wounded but nobody notices but him and just when the climax is over and they are safe, he bleeds to death and dies.

examples of this is : blood diamon, and children of men. (movies)

2. The save the day oject, (scenario): During a battle between the protaganist and antagonist, the mc useally falls down and glances over and sees the "object that will save the day" in reaching distance or just out of reach. He picks out the object and with it defeats the bad guy. (maybe the object is the bad guys weakness, like water or fire, or just a plain gun)

Exemples of this is : the drunken master ( picks up a fuel and spits fire)

roger rabit movie ( uses a punch gun to defeat the bad guy)

Along came a spider (use a knife , i think, to kill the bad guy. )

Thanks you guys for playing along, I would love to hear some more thoughts about the END of stories. Different scenarios, ect...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A side note... if anyone's gonna list examples, please put up a SPOILER warning.

1. The hidden wound scenario : mc saves someone and in the process he is wounded but nobody notices but him and just when the climax is over and they are safe, he bleeds to death and dies.

examples of this is : ..... (movies)

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
I write horror so...

The evil monster is vanquished...

A nice little paragraph at the end that says that maybe, just maybe the threat isn't gone.

takkunelwood

Registered
Reaction score
I like ending on a key line, something kind of sentimental maybe. If I'm not planning the book as part of a series/pair, then I like to leave it open to the possibility of more. I don't want to have an ending that sets it up for a sequel, only to disappoint readers if there isn't one.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
The only type of ending that really does make me throw a book down is when the author just pulls some magical or previously un-established thing out of nowhere and it saves the day, then spends the last chapter making up some excuse for why it was there, even though we've never heard of it or the possibility of it for the other thirty chapters of the book.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I write horror so...

The evil monster is vanquished...

A nice little paragraph at the end that says that maybe, just maybe the threat isn't gone.

As much as I love horror, I'm so bored of the open ending in fiction and films that quite obviously sets up the sequel.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Someone told me yesterday that they loved the soft denouement at the end of my novel. I just love soft denouements that make you sigh at the end after the roller coaster, so it was the best thing she could have said. Who else likes this kind of ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.