What do you use..? [backing up your work online]

ravenmuse

Registered
Reaction score
I have more than one email account. If I email a story from one to the other, it is 'saved' in both email accounts. I also use Google Docs.

steamforged

Forging ever westward
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using the Amazon cloud drive, but now wonder if Dropbox might be a better route. I write in Scrivener, and I've heard you can just point it at the Dropbox folder and resume on any machine, which sounds divine. I write on at least three different computers.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I also use dropbox. My Fiance tells me to use it or not to complain when my work disappears (which happened with some school stuff this year).

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've said this elsewhere, I'm sure.

I've personally lost data on 2 USB sticks now -- they just blanked themselves. No data recovery was possible, scan utilities said there wasn't a single byte of data on 'em. I also know a couple of folks who have experienced similar USB stick failures. There's no predicting these things -- a 512Mb USB stick I bought maybe 8 years ago is still going strong, with no errors; the lost sticks were fairly recent (4Gb) from different manufacturers. They still work OK, but I can't trust 'em not to blank themselves again. I always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option, I don't just pull 'em out. If your only backup copy is a USB stick then you could find yourself in trouble one day, is all I'm saying.

I have 8 USB sticks now, and cycle them each day. If another goes kaput then I probably haven't lost much. I also have 2 external USB drives which I backup everything to every other day.

Emailing files to myself, super easy, and instant (just did it!).

Dropbox, also super easy, although I notice it can take time to confirm the update, e.g. if I'm backing up a large zip file it can take a minute or 5. I think you have to wait for the confirmation before you shut down for the night, otherwise the transfer can't complete.

-Derek

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
If you have Chrome, there's a file storage program called The Box that has file storage.

Get 5 GB Free and Organize All Your Files Into Folders Store all kinds of files online, then arrange them into folders just like on your desktop.

Or if you want to go the old fashioned route, CDs work well. Office Max or Office Depot has them.