Middling It

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Curious: how many others are riding the Gimmer Train? I know they had a round of R's a few weeks back, but it's been quiet since then.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Curious: how many others are riding the Gimmer Train? I know they had a round of R's a few weeks back, but it's been quiet since then.

I've got a story with them, but it has only been out 16 days.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I am also riding that train. I always sub 3 to them in their open. I once even had a personal R. Usually they can take up to 100 days to respond but I've had rejections at around 30 days, 60 days and 90 days... They do tend to do them in batches but I don't think that is indicative of anything. Currently my oldest sub with them is about 30 days old.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score

I entered the Short Story Award for New Writers contest for the first time in May. Results for the contests come out on an announced date (July 31 for mine). I posted here while I was waiting, asking if anyone else was in the contest, and got a few responses that implied specfic didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting pub'd in GT (even though they're on every list I've seen for specfic, including Duotrope and SFWA). I'd sort-a resolved not to submit there again. Does anyone know if they have actually published spec-fic??

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - so this is a classic middling it story. My story was rejected from the "maybe" pile by Allegory with a nice personal, but it does mean I make their honorable mentions list. Which is nice.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
A question for those who subbed to Weird Tales back in June. Did you get a "We've received your story" response?

I just tried to query about the story I sent in and got an auto-response saying they weren't currently open to submissions blahblahblah. Made me wonder if I should have gotten an auto-response to say they'd gotten the story.

Aggy, annoyed at the thought this could be market number four to "misplace" a story

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
A question for those who subbed to Weird Tales back in June. Did you get a "We've received your story" response?

I just tried to query about the story I sent in and got an auto-response saying they weren't currently open to submissions blahblahblah. Made me wonder if I should have gotten an auto-response to say they'd gotten the story.

Aggy, annoyed at the thought this could be market number four to "misplace" a story

I just combed through my e-mails and I don't think they ever sent a confirmation message. I doubt they've misplaced anything, I think they're just super slooooow.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Nope. I didn't receive any auto-message either times I subbed to them. Someone had said they'd received 2,000 subs--or that was what they said on facebook. So maybe they're just swamped or on summer break.

Oh, and I'm at 38 days with Glimmer Train, didn't enter a contest. Last time I subbed to them, they rejected around the 30-day mark.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Another story bumped to round 2 over at Untied Shoelaces. Wonder how long this one will last. :tongue (It's also another fairytale retelling, so maybe they like fairytales with a little grit?)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Round two for Interstellar Fiction!

Just checked, and I never got a confirmation message from Weird Tales.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Arrgh - just read the latest submissions update for UFO The pressure is on for third rounders and still three weeks to go!

Also, it seems I've submitted to Lightspeed just as they took a very rare break. No responses on Duo since Aug 8th. I'm at 3 days.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Arrgh - just read the latest submissions update for UFO The pressure is on for third rounders and still three weeks to go!
Eeep! Yeah, that's going to be tough. *keeps wiresfingers crossed*

In other news, I'm really surprised so few people use Duo. Is there a fear of statistics or something?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like in anything else, there are a LOT of people who are looking at Duotrope but not bothering to report their own results. I hope that, over time, those numbers will improve.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how people get anything done without Duotrope. It's so tidy.

And since one of Duotrope's best features is the ability to roughly track where a market is at the moment in the submission response process, it baffles me that more people don't use it. The more reports, the more accuracy.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Speaking of Duotrope and middling it...

19 days at Strange Horizons. Two of the ~120 reported responses from the past month have been 19 days or longer.

It's only 19 days, so I know I shouldn't be getting too anxious, but... Eep.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I think the only thing worse than trying to figure out how long my Apex submission will take (I'm only at 6 days, so I've got a wait no matter what) is trying to figure out how much longer I'll be sitting at the New Yorker. I know, reaching for the stars.

I've been there 104 days, and all these random response times trickle through. Today there was a 5-day and a 82-day. There are still 134 responses pending, with a median of 73 days, but I'm beginning to doubt that there will ever be a deluge.

The average time is 140, so I'm gonna sit on my hands till then. Then, maybe query. They do say 90 days on their confirmation e-mail, but that's clearly a lie.

In other middling it news, I'm about to hit 60 days at One Buck Horror. I queried after 30 days, worried I'd messed up my submission, and they let me know I'd made it to the second round (Yay!). Now I'm just chewing my fingernails while the crickets sing a pretty song.

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Just about inched over into red at Shimmer, and approaching there with DSF and Strange Horizons. I have a nasty feeling all of these are going to gang up on me and show up together.