• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with screen glare and have to confess I am not even really sure what the phenomenon is. Are we talking about reflection off the screen, or the brightness of the backlight etc? Reading off my iPhone 4S screen in sunlight's always been fine.

Yes, I guess it's reflection. When I look at my iPhone in bright sunlight, I have to shade the screen with my hand to see it, or find some shade.

Here's a photo of my Kobo Mini in bright summer sunlight. Very easy to read.

koboresized_zpsf91c95c0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I bought the Kobo Mini when it was on sale half price, just to see if I'd like an e-reader. I do - but now I'm just looking for the right one. I like the Mini size, it fits into my handbag easily and weighs almost nothing.

But I'd like a bigger one, with the "glow" feature so I can read in a dark room.

Last edited:

Finnmc

Registered
Reaction score
Pleased to meet you! :)

I'm not sure the brand has any presence in the US at all? (I'm in the Czech Republic, but as I said, I never met anyone who owned an iRiver around here either.)

Nice to meet you too.

As far as I'm aware they almost went belly up a couple of years ago but they did have a presence in the US.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised to see so many other nook readers. I was under the impression we were as rare as unicorns. For that matter, I was thinking B&N book buyers were rare in general. I know when I go to do an online review of a book I've purchased there, I'm often the only one, or just one of a handful. Over on amazon, the same book will often have dozens of reviews, even if it's a SF or F book by a relatively new author.

Part of that is that authors will send offers of free books to people with higher rankings at Amazon in order to get a review. There are also publicists who request reviewers not only post the review to their own sites or blogs but also copy it to Goodreads and Amazon. I also know of job ads that offer payment for people who post reviews to Amazon using a valid Amazon account. It's against the rules, but it still happens. I've had that happen dozens of times with Amazon, but never with BN.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle Paperwhite. Like it? Sure, it's easy on my tired eyes and I can read in the dark. But I do NOT prefer e-readers to paper books and I limit purchases for the Kindle to self-pubs and books I know I won't want to mark or save.

P.S. I'd like e-books better if they made them bigger. Yep. I don't like the trend to tiny gadgets. Give me large, please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.