High intensity careers and writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
You plan.

I 'write' in my head while I'm doing other things - walking the dog, commuting etc. Then when I sit down to write it's already all there and I'm just putting it on paper.

I also find that while it's hard to get an hour solid to sit down and do anything, I can easily snatch 4 lots of 15 minutes during my day to write a page, which means I'm still putting down about 1000 words a day.

This technique works for me too. I'm busy looking after a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old, but it makes me happy to have a knotty ball of plot or character in my head to untangle over the course of a few days. When I get a clear hour or two I sit down and write a short story. I could probably get better at using notepads for the great turns-of-phrase I inevitably forget, but apart from that I don't find it hard being both a writer and a mother.

I don't push myself to the limit, waking up super-early or anything like that (perhaps when my kids are older and don't climb into bed with me at all hours anymore.) I just try to be smart with my time and focus mostly on the things that are very important to me. I guess my family, friends and writing are my 'big rocks'.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I think it's too simplistic to say 'you make time if you love it'. Unless you have truly lived that person's life, you don't know how they are coping with whatever load is on them.

Yes, a lot of people make excuses and a bit more discipline is the answer - or at least a good thing to try - but not always.

A couple of years back I got a job as an editor of a trade magazine, while my son was still a baby. I found it so hard to do any creative writing. Sure you could look at my schedule and say 'why not write at lunch, why not get up early, why not write when your son naps on your days off,' but mentally I couldn't do it. I was writing all day, often taking work home, and always exhausted. I'm sure this sounds defensive but it's not meant to be, it's just how it was.

Saying all that, I did actually get one book finished and edited in that period, so obviously I was grabbing a bit of writing time occasionally, but I wouldn't say I felt happy or healthy and sometimes I'd go weeks without doing anything.

I changed roles a few months ago and I've read so so so much more since then, and got back into writing properly. I feel awake! I still don't have lots of 'free' time. I have a toddler now and not much evening to myself after dinner, but I have the energy to write at lunchtime, and I make the point of sitting at my computer most evenings whenever I'm not watching TV/relaxing with my husband. If I'm watching a show I don't particularly care about, I sit there with my work laptop (I can actually get a fair bit done this way - you have to do what works for you).

When I'm pure writing, rather than editing/revising I find it helps to have no internet, either in a coffee shop, or using a device like an Alphasmart - it just means I have no distractions. It's actually rare that I remember to do this, however.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I think it's too simplistic to say 'you make time if you love it'. Unless you have truly lived that person's life, you don't know how they are coping with whatever load is on them.

I don't often do the "thumbs up" thing here, but... :Thumbs:

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of them involve a wedding photographer going batshit insane, turning into a dragon, and nomming the bride and groom? :D

lol, this and your first post made me laugh.

I'm also coming to the conclusion, reading the posts on this thread, that everyone should celebrate if they're getting any writing done in the midst of their busy lives.

robjvargas, interesting idea, thanks for posting. I think I'll try it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.