Not open for further replies.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Oh, I need to start a blog. Have a pen name for it, Maggie Hebert. (Pronounced Hey Bear!) to all you non cajuns. It's a nick name of my first plus my grandmother's last name prior to marriage --but I don't know how to do this. I'm basically a ludite by nature so I thought perhaps a "This is How Great Memoirs Aren't written" type attitude would help, but I still need to focus on 1) what the blog is for --to drive humor it will have to be really just me, to 2) drive my Helen book, I guess I need a second blog, and I haven't written the first. A little help here to get going.

Thought Maggie Hebert would be a good pen name for the Book of Helen since it is so different from the humor I write.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Heading out for errands, but if you already write humor under your real name, then your blog that supports your humor should also be under your real name. If you write humor under a pen name, then the blog should match that pen name.

You are blogging to draw and create readership, not for "fun". Ergo, XYZ cannot draw for ABC, at least not in the early days.

I want to stress again that, if you are blogging because you want to become a successful or more successful published author, then you have to treat your blog like a part of your business success. Coca-Cola does not blog under the name RC Cola. Dave Barry does not blog under the name of Stone Coldstar. You get my drift...:D

And, if "Helen" is not funny, then I'd suggest using your pen name for that, and for the blog that will support your more serious writing.

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
Oops -- sorry about the lapse in AW visits lately. I was walking along the edge of Super-Dad-and-Hectic-Job-Land and slipped into the chasm of obscurity there for a couple weeks. I managed to climb out and log in today.

* For formatting, I suggest that this thread stay like it is, but have brand new shiny fresh threads in the SYW section to post each new topic and for Sherry to review. For example, there might be a brand new post called:

"Writing Humor Clinic Homework #17: Manboobs or Moobs? Due by 11/5/07"

I like the pen name, by the way.

And while we're talking about blogs, go see my blog at http://buffman.net/blog/

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Riddler! We haven't crossed paths since the baby was born! Give her a big ole hug giraffe hug from me. Lost all the baby weight, yet? (I haven't. The baby's 17. No, not months. Years.)

I just parked the party bus and jumped on the blog wagon. Feel free to see if I'm headed the right direction or if I need to circle the wagons and return to the life of the idle. Not rich. Just idle.

Last edited:

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
*pokes the adjunct* Where's the next instalment of Blogging, Jeanne? Should I make the set-up again? You certainly paid me enough...

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
She's Ba-ack!

To Blog or Not to Blog, Part 4

Or, Answering Donna's questions, one little bit at a time.

Make Me Laugh, Clown, on a Daily Freaking Basis!

So you want to do a humor blog. (But…WHY?) You’re writing the humor, they’re all laughing, you’ve got some stuff published or at least not returned in your SASE torn to bits. So, how to? (And the whole class goes “FINALLY”.)

Well, there are ways. One way is this -- I've posted most of my Humor Clinic pieces to my blog. If they were funny here (yes, yes, open to debate) then they are funny THERE.

But, you haven’t done the homework and you don’t think your stuff was funny enough here and…

Let me quote from the Gods of Marketing: Just do it.

Remember, first and foremost, that your blog is a marketing tool. (I know, shocker. I’ve said that in every lecture. Wonder why…) Not every Jack in the Box ad is hilarious. Not every Geico ad makes you want to claw your eyes out. Some ads to better than others, but the overall brand is being supported. Have a Coke and a Smile, and then get to work.

Because that’s what you’re building here, your brand.

Yes, your brand. You are a brand, at least if you plan and act correctly, and brands have name recognition, stand for something, and make money. J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, David Sedaris, Dave Barry -- they aren’t writers or authors any more, they’re brands. And everything they do should, and usually does, support that brand. BTW, they’re also RICH. Because brands make money, as long as the brand is supported correctly and behaving in a way the consumer expects the brand to behave (ie: if you are a humorist, you’d better be funny).

First off, of course, let me point back to Lecture 1 and remind you that you are NOT doing a stream-of-consciousness blog. I promise you, your stream of consciousness is NOT funny. Not funny at all. For a variety of reasons.

One of those reasons is that you don’t edit your stream of consciousness. But you should edit your blog posts. Why? They are posting for anyone in the world to see, including the top agents out there, should you be so lucky. Spelling, grammar, context, syntax and an actual topic are all requirements. If you wouldn’t present it to the head of a Fortune 500 company because it’s so crappy, don’t post it to your blog.

You should put the same loving care into a blog post as you do any other piece you want to have published. Because the moment it’s on your blog…it IS published.

Your blog represents you to everyone who reads it. Like the old clean underwear wheeze, if your blog is misspelled, lacking in wit or interest, totally narcissistic without any benefit to the reader therein, or, still worst of all, boring and/or unreadable, then your blog is a waste of time to the nth degree. Most blogs are a horrifying combination of these errors, making them truly miserable places to visit once, let alone repeatedly.

I mentioned in Lecture 3 that I’d get into why complaining about the writing process -- agents and editors, in particular -- is a bad choice for your blog. Here’s why: the person you insult today could be making a decision about your future tomorrow. If you call Agent A a stupid idiot because she passed on your deathless prose, then, when you finally learn to write a book that will pass muster (oh yes, it’s usually us, not them, who need to get better at what we do), if Agent A has seen her name dragged through the mud of your blog (and, trust, me, people Google themselves ALL the time), then she’s not only going to pass on your now good book, she’s going to mention to all her friends in the tight-knit agent community that you are a world class jerk and probably more work than you’re worth.

Same with insulting Publication B because they didn’t see your genius. When you finally send in a great article, and Senior Editor at Publication B does a Google search to see how many readers pubbing your piece might drag, and then discovers you’ve called his publication a worthless rag, or worse, guess what? Your piece isn’t going to be selected, no matter how great, because Editor B knows that others will Google you to find more of your stuff, and will find your insulting blog post, denigrating his beloved pub.

As with anything in writing, think about it before you post it. Consider how many times you see someone on AW pull their post down, because it wasn’t funny, insulted someone else, was so off-topic as to be rude, etc. Now imagine that every one of those deleted posts were on YOUR blog with YOUR name attached to them. Not a pretty picture is it? Especially in a tool you should be using to market yourself and your works.

So, how to just do it?

First off, going to give big props to our own AmyDoodle, who asked us to take a look at her blog and see if she’s doing it right. She IS. For those who didn’t go take a look-see, go right now, and check it out. It’s funny, written in her voice, and NOT stream-of-consciousness. (Link to her blog is in Amy’s sig, on all of her posts.)

My blog is this way, too. (Link to my blog is in my sig line, on all of my posts. Those spotting a trend can feel superior and like they have a inkling as to part of what the next lecture will cover.) Whether or not you, personally, find my or Amy’s blogs to be places you’d want to hang out or not is probably based a lot on if you find either one of us funny, or at least intermittently funny. But both of our blogs are supporting our humor writing by being humorous.

And that brings us to this week’s homework. (Oh, the power, the POWER!) Create a blog post in the Homework thread. Choose from one of the topics listed below. Make sure that it is, above all, FUNNY, at least to you. Make sure that you edit it at least three times before you post it (really). Make sure it’s also reasonably short -- as this lecture series alone can prove, if it’s too long, it becomes work to read, not fun. After all, the mind can only take in what the butt can endure. Finally, make sure you’ll be willing to have it posted for the world to see (points for whoever can guess the NEXT lecture’s homework).

Blog Topic Prompts:
-- The baseball Playoffs/The World Series
-- A current TV show
-- A current movie
-- A pet peeve, with peeve and reasons for peeve clearly stated
-- The state of this season’s NFL
-- The weather
-- Children/Teenagers/Spouses/Parents/Other Family Units, pick one and talk about them
-- Any celebrity you think has been over-publicized
-- Any celebrity you think has been under-publicized
-- An unrequited affection

Next lecture will *gasp* wrap up with technical details. Like, where do you go TO blog, why should you be in more than one spot and how can you make that work, and why tagging is the be-all, end-all of the entire damned process.

Until then, happy proto-blogging!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Oh my god...no questions! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I checked out Amy's blog. Very cute stuff there, my kind of quirk and funny. I couldn't see yours, Jeanne, because LJ is blocked on my work server but I shall look at home! By the looks of it, though, I'm on the right track. Could you pweeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssssse take a look? Link in the signature. Only two posts thus far but for me and blogging, that's pretty damn good!

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
JeanTGC--

Free knowledge! I'm so glad I found this thread. You're answering all the questions I've wanted to ask Somebody Who Knows. You're right about editing--I go over a piece for posting just as much as I would an essay even though it's a little more casual. Please tell me it gets easier.

Thanks for checking me out and for your encouraging words. I'm on my way to your blog to see if I can pick up some tips!

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Oh my god...no questions! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I checked out Amy's blog. Very cute stuff there, my kind of quirk and funny. I couldn't see yours, Jeanne, because LJ is blocked on my work server but I shall look at home! By the looks of it, though, I'm on the right track. Could you pweeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssssse take a look? Link in the signature. Only two posts thus far but for me and blogging, that's pretty damn good!
Well done, Donna! (Or should I just call you Shorty ;)?)

My two suggestions:

1) Make subsequent articles shorter if at all possible. Your intro was a good length. The Frankie/Drac piece was both hilarious and long. It's a fine line, but try to figure that if it's going to cause someone to screen down more than once (so 2 screen pages), you're bordering on too long. Some would tell you one screen page is it, tops.

Acceptable length will vary -- long pieces are okay if they're intermittent and there are more shorter things than longer as a whole.

2) More, so very many more, tags are needed. Desperately. Dracula, Frankenstein, on and on...you cannot have too many tags. I am not kidding. Let me say it again, for you and all listening: You cannot have too many tags. If you have less than 5 tags you do not have enough and you're just not trying. Go for 10, minimum. (No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I really mean it. And do it now, not like Teacher, who has to go back and tag all her damned stuff 'cause she swore she'd "get back to it later".)

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
JeanTGC--

Free knowledge! I'm so glad I found this thread. You're answering all the questions I've wanted to ask Somebody Who Knows. You're right about editing--I go over a piece for posting just as much as I would an essay even though it's a little more casual. Please tell me it gets easier.

Thanks for checking me out and for your encouraging words. I'm on my way to your blog to see if I can pick up some tips!
We're all about the free here. ;)

Glad you're finding this useful; otherwise Prof. Tex won't let me come back to class. :D

Oh, and, uh, as to easier? Ummm...no. It's writing, and it's writing for, pretty much, immediate publication. It never gets easier. BUT, remember -- it's not something you're doing "for fun" or to "practice". It's something you're doing to build your brand and make yourself more appealing to readers, agents and editors. So, as such, it may not be easy, but it surely can be worth it.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Question...can you ever have too many tags?

I'm glad you liked the Frankie thing. It would definately be shorter without the images but how could I resist Grandpa and a pooping Frankie? Now I must go tag...

Eta--Woohoo! Google Kate Boddie and my blog is at the top! Heehee...I'm excited...

Last edited:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
After I get my article submitted today, I hope to take the time to read this blog course from our Blog Queen, Jeanne.

I do need to make a correction, Your Serene Blogness. Thanks for the mention in your first lesson. However I contribute to Talia Mana's blog. She is the owner/Web Mistress. I just pop in weekly and post.

Carry on,

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Still don't quite get how we start a blog and I don't know what tags are and am just lost. Need a good web site for a tutorial --like what's the difference between a web site and a blog ---in that they seem like personalized controlled content that is put out for the public. Need to figure out how we start a blog. Need to figure out how to publicize that I have a blog once I get one. Ludite in danger of drowning in what I don't know...a little help please. Need remedial tutorial baby steps on doing this, feels like jumping into a pool without knowing how to swim.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Still don't quite get how we start a blog and I don't know what tags are and am just lost. Need a good web site for a tutorial --like what's the difference between a web site and a blog ---in that they seem like personalized controlled content that is put out for the public. Need to figure out how we start a blog. Need to figure out how to publicize that I have a blog once I get one. Ludite in danger of drowning in what I don't know...a little help please. Need remedial tutorial baby steps on doing this, feels like jumping into a pool without knowing how to swim.
And today, Prof. Tex gives us the lead in for the next lecture! Coming...actually...tomorrow. On work deadline, so unlikely today, but it'll show up tomorrow. And we WILL discuss differences between blogs and websites (since you asked so nicely).

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I picked teenagers for the homework, but I was searching valiantly for a post for today, so I popped it into my blog. I'm working on making sure I do the labels. Should we really put at least ten?
Yes. Remember, this is a MARKETING TOOL.

Back to Coca-Cola. The FIRST day I was at a marketing agency (lo, these many years ago now), my boss took me aside and explained the facts to me. He handed me David Ogilvy's "Ogilvy on Advertising", someone else who I can't remember's "Guerilla Marketing", and gave me these sage words: "Coca-Cola is the most recognized brand in the world; they are recognized by aboriginals who have no contact with the outside world; and Coca-Cola advertises every minute of every day. The day Coca-Cola stops advertising is the day the rest of us can THINK about it."

Until you are the Coca-Cola of writers, you cannot even think about it.

Tagging is how you put yourself onto the search engines. Trust me, there is no other (free) way to do so. Tagging "humor" means that you're only going to get the very desperate for a laugh. Tagging "Halloween", on the ohter hand, will get you a LOT of hits -- for about 1 month. The more tags you have, the more likely you are to arrive in someone's search list.

Tagging is your friend. We all want a lot of friends, right? So Tag early and Tag often.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Donna...go to a nice mirror...look into it...gaze upon the face you see there...

Oh my god! I'm bee-u-tee-ful!

Eta--Woohoo! I did the homework! And it's short too! Now I must go tag some more...I don't have nearly enough...or do I???

Last edited:

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alrighty then, we'll play Extreme Tag--I went back and added some more. If we manage to do a post that has some currently popular things like Halloween or You Tube or Britney Spears (shudder) that we can tag, does that work for us or would we just get lost in an avalanche of search results?

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Alrighty then, we'll play Extreme Tag--I went back and added some more. If we manage to do a post that has some currently popular things like Halloween or You Tube or Britney Spears (shudder) that we can tag, does that work for us or would we just get lost in an avalanche of search results?
Much will depend on where you are when the search engine pulls. Like anything, the more hits, the more likely you are to be higher up on the list. This is why multiple, massive, insane-like tagging is so important -- you can still get pulled into someone's orbit by complete accident and hook them in.

As an example -- I have a standard Google search done on my fave leading men, mostly to see if any new pics of them appear. So, I've found some awesome blogs or sites because someone mentioned Ben Affleck (as an example) in passing in their blog. BUT, if they hadn't tagged it for Ben Affleck (one mention, in passing, but mentioned, so tagged), then I never would have seen their stuff. Some of which I have bookmarked and now read religiously.

Go forth and let the great tagging begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.