Surviving the country...

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Six months ago, I moved from the city to the country.

Things were okay in the winter, but then spring came...

First, it was the Brown Recluse infestation. Then, it was the kudzu growing all over everything. Next, it was the rattlesnake in my driveway. After that, I had a family a rabbits in my yard. They were welcome; I enjoyed their company. Last week, I spotted my first coyote, up close and personal, running across the field adjacent to my house (those things run like the big dog-monsters in Ghost Busters...). The bunnies haven't been seen since. :(

That brings us to this week. A massive spider web has been across my door frame every single morning. Each day, I've knocked it down (some days, by accidentally walking through the damn thing). This morning, I knocked it down again. By the time I got home for lunch, it was back. Only this time, its maker was out in the open. A big, shiny Black Widow spider.

It's now a black and red smear on the brick. But I'm seriously freaked.

I miss the city. :e2cry:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Six months ago, I moved from the city to the country.
Ahh, I love the country.
Things were okay in the winter, but then spring came...
Ahh, I love the country in the winter, and the spring is just wonderful.

First, it was the Brown Recluse infestation.
:eek: Are you nuts? Move away.

I couldn't read anymore. That was more than enough for me :e2cry:

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I've had my share of black widows. Makes me think of moving to a New York penthouse.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, I love the country.

Ahh, I love the country in the winter, and the spring is just wonderful.

:eek: Are you nuts? Move away.

I couldn't read anymore. That was more than enough for me :e2cry:

You see my problem! I'm actually over the Brown Recluse spiders. I see them all the time (but less than when my place was infested), and I've gotten used to them. They hide in their corners and leave me alone... but I do always shake out my clothes before putting them on.

I've had my share of black widows. Makes me think of moving to a New York penthouse.

How do you deal with them? Is there a spray that works better than others?

I broke my Swiffer mop being the shit out of it. I wanted to make sure it was really dead...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brown Recluse Black Widows
472.gif

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take country life over city life anyday :)

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Smish, I think you need to move to a different part of "the country"! Brown recluses, black widows, kudzu, coyotes AND rattle-snakes?! :eek: Yeesh.
Says the girl who used to live with the alligators, coral snakes, water moccasins, brown recluses and the ever-present palmetto bugs (like a cockroach, but bigger and they don't stay away if you keep the house clean). :tongue

On a serious note, the coyote and rattlesnake won't bother you if you don't bother them (and I think they are interesting and beautiful to watch, particularly from many feet away). Kudzu has to be periodically uprooted (well, you could probably spray it, but that's bad for the environment). The spiders can also be sprayed for (surely you have a local pest-control outfit? They should take care of spiders inside your house mostly) or squished one-by-one as needed. But, uh...try not to walk through anymore webs, eh?

Just remember, the country is a quiet and relaxing place, ok? ;)

*Is a country-girl at heart*

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Black Widows actually aren't aggressive at all, if that helps any :) That said, I've still been bitten by a little one (it fell out of a tree)! I've been around gazillions, so your odds are still OK.

Teeny snakes might eat them. I had one come out of my toilet tank yesterday, if you need me to send you one :D

It was a baby black snake. Which is good, because they keep the copperheads in the woods down in the woods.

Hey, at least it's not Costa Rica. Now that was crazy!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
perspective is everything. Ireland hasn't a single dangerous animal or insect and yet I (we) freak out over a midge (tiny annoying fly thing).
Still, to avoid the nasties we sacrifice sunshine. not sure if its a good deal.

PS I would of thought the winter would be the hardest part, cos you've sun the rest of the time. Ah sunshine, how i dream of thee...

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Black Widows actually aren't aggressive at all, if that helps any :)

I definitely didn't know that. We don't get them much where I'm from. I've actually found that very few animals/other wildlife are actually very aggressive. Especially towards people. We're too big for most things to eat, don't taste very good, and are generally very very hard to kill (well, compared to say...a rabbit or something) so why should they waste the effort on you as long as you're not bothering them?

That being said, you do get wildlife like water moccasins or slugs that are just plain out to get you. (Ok, possibly not all slugs. I'm pretty sure the ones in my house are plotting against me though! :e2cry: )

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brown Recluse Black Widows
472.gif

I'm moving to NYC in two weeks and I'll not miss the bugs. The country is for bug people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImjQS8zm0aY

I've never been a bug person, but this is just insane...

And what's with all the suicidal butterflies? Probably a dozen a day fly right into my car. And countless more are scattered across the road. I hate seeing the death of something so pretty and harmless.

I'll take country life over city life anyday :)

I suspect Canada doesn't have as many bugs as the South. :)

Smish, I think you need to move to a different part of "the country"! Brown recluses, black widows, kudzu, coyotes AND rattle-snakes?! :eek: Yeesh.
Says the girl who used to live with the alligators, coral snakes, water moccasins, brown recluses and the ever-present palmetto bugs (like a cockroach, but bigger and they don't stay away if you keep the house clean). :tongue

On a serious note, the coyote and rattlesnake won't bother you if you don't bother them (and I think they are interesting and beautiful to watch, particularly from many feet away). Kudzu has to be periodically uprooted (well, you could probably spray it, but that's bad for the environment). The spiders can also be sprayed for (surely you have a local pest-control outfit? They should take care of spiders inside your house mostly) or squished one-by-one as needed. But, uh...try not to walk through anymore webs, eh?

Just remember, the country is a quiet and relaxing place, ok? ;)

*Is a country-girl at heart*

I'm not sure I could handle the palmetto bugs. :scared:

I'm not really worried about the snakes or the coyotes (my cat's indoor only; otherwise, I'd be terrified). And the kudzu doesn't bother me much in real life, but I've been having nightmares about it...

The Black Widow, though. Freaked. Me. Out.

Black Widows actually aren't aggressive at all, if that helps any :) That said, I've still been bitten by a little one (it fell out of a tree)! I've been around gazillions, so your odds are still OK.

Teeny snakes might eat them. I had one come out of my toilet tank yesterday, if you need me to send you one :D

It was a baby black snake. Which is good, because they keep the copperheads in the woods down in the woods.

Hey, at least it's not Costa Rica. Now that was crazy!

Your first paragraph was so reassuring and sweet.

But then you had to write about snakes coming out of the toilet. :evil

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
perspective is everything. Ireland hasn't a single dangerous animal or insect and yet I (we) freak out over a midge (tiny annoying fly thing).
Still, to avoid the nasties we sacrifice sunshine. not sure if its a good deal.

PS I would of thought the winter would be the hardest part, cos you've sun the rest of the time. Ah sunshine, how i dream of thee...

Actually, I prefer grey, rainy days.

Maybe I should move to Ireland. :D

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And what's with all the suicidal butterflies? Probably a dozen a day fly right into my car. And countless more are scattered across the road. I hate seeing the death of something so pretty and harmless.
Are you far enough south to be a part of "Love Bug Season"? (Actually comes twice a year). That's horrible. They aren't pretty like butterflies, but you end up with thousands of them smashed against the front of your car during the month or so that they're around, and they have highly acidic bodies, so they erode the paint off of the car. :tongue

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
It's all perspective! I've lived in many cities, and there are bugs in cities, too--unless you live in some kind of hermetically-sealed skyscraper.

In NYC, it's cockroaches. In my experience, it didn't matter how clean you kept things--the city is so densely packed that trash and filth and roaches just sort of spontaneously manifest.

In Chicago, it's the dread centipede. :( I cannot adequately explain my complete and utter LOATHING of this creature. When I see one, my night is ruined. And they don't care how clean your house is, either. (Though they eat most other bugs. But think about how freaky something has to be if it can EAT ALL THOSE WHO OPPOSE IT.)

It's actually one of the reasons I want to move back west, to California. Where, instead of centipedes, I'll have to deal with brown recluses and black widows and snakes.

But that's a fair trade-off, to me. They may be much more dangerous, but they don't freak me out the same way.

Perspective!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you far enough south to be a part of "Love Bug Season"? (Actually comes twice a year). That's horrible. They aren't pretty like butterflies, but you end up with thousands of them smashed against the front of your car during the month or so that they're around, and they have highly acidic bodies, so they erode the paint off of the car. :tongue

I have no idea. I hope not!

Said The Sun

foremost, for prose
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you. Especially for walking into a spider web. I would seriously die.
But things aren't that much better in the city. Every morning I wake up to five or eleven new mosquito bites. And I don't even open the damned windows. It's like they grow in my apartment. *shudders*

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
How do you deal with them? Is there a spray that works better than others?

I broke my Swiffer mop being the shit out of it. I wanted to make sure it was really dead...

I really haven't done anything to deal with them other than telling my husband to get rid of it when I run across one. And they do get in my house. We practically live in the woods. I love the country. My soul is in the country. But I DO NOT like living with black widow spiders.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's all perspective! I've lived in many cities, and there are bugs in cities, too--unless you live in some kind of hermetically-sealed skyscraper.

Perspective!

I feel for you. Especially for walking into a spider web. I would seriously die.
But things aren't that much better in the city. Every morning I wake up to five or eleven new mosquito bites. And I don't even open the damned windows. It's like they grow in my apartment. *shudders*

I know you guys are right. I remember being plagued by bugs in the city (literally in Cincinnati with their 17-year cicada infestation). But I don't recall seeing any poisonous spiders!

And no snakes.

And no coyotes.

But it's a lot quieter here. :rolleyes:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, I prefer grey, rainy days.

Maybe I should move to Ireland. :D

Well that'd be Ireland.

'course when it's day after day after day...

can be a tad tiresome.

(on the plus side we don't have cockroaches; centipedes are tiny and are seen rarely and only outdoors) EDIT actually I'm thinking of caterpillars. not sure if there's centipedes (again if we do outdoors and tiny. - we do get the very occasional earwig - does that count?)

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need birds. I have chickens, guineas, ducks, geese, and two of the cutest little peachicks ever.

Bugs aren't much of a problem.