West Coasters: Tell Me About Your Town

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a rock band traveling up from LA to Seattle, playing every town they can. Their problem is that they have terrible management, and are playing mostly dives.

If you live in California, Oregon or Washington State, I need to know about your town. Can you tell me what venue a band might play a show, and what street it's on or what neighborhood it's in?

The venue doesn't have to be well-known -- in fact, I need to know more about venues that suck. So if your town is lame, or if you know a venue that's a music-scene joke, let me know.

ETA: No need to tell me about LA -- I did that scene, and I know way too much.

Last edited:

ajoker

backstab x 2!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help for venues, but in Oregon I'd recommend stopping in the south in Ashland (just off the I-5). It's a great college/hippy town and the music scene is good. I'd head up to Eugene, another college/hippy town, and then over the mountains to Bend, an outdoorsy town. From there, I'd go up to Hood River, and the over to Portland. Further west, Astoria gets some good gigs as well.

Hope that helps somewhat. Have a good trip!

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! I should be more specific -- this is a fictional rock band. But thanks, ajoker, you've given me some good groundwork to build from!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I have lived on both Oregon and California's coasts, but not currently.

Some ideas at: http://www.oregonsadventurecoast.com/group-travel/meeting-venues/ (I can't imagine the Motel 6 in Coos Bay could be much fun)

Santa Cruz California Callahan's is pretty divey, if it's still there.

you know of Pat's in North Hollywood?

here's an article on SF dives: http://sanfrancisco.lovetoknow.com/wiki/San_Francisco_Dive_Bars. With SF's gay scene, it might be amusing to end up booked in the wrong sort of bar entirely--like a band of all men trying to do a set in a leather dyke bar, ouch.

Also (because your question interested me) I went to youtube and tried various searches. One that finally worked was "city state bar band," like "Portland Oregon bar band" and you get vids of people performing at various bars and some of them look nasty enough to me. Might be a good way to travel, via youtube, up the coast

Good luck!

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, just book them in Best Western Cocktail lounges ... can't get much divier :)

Believe me. I know dives

Last edited:

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Quarter note off Lawrence Expressway in Sunnyvale. It's painted matte black inside. The wooden floors, soaked with runoff from the perpetually clogged bathrooms, cheap beer, and broken dreams are cracked, warped, perilous. The air is stagnant, redolent of man-sweat and dollar-store perfume. And the most complex drink you can order at the sticky bar is vodka and redbull.

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
lorna w, that's a cute idea about the SF place, and the youtube trick helps establish a visual for me. Thanks!

PorterStarrByrd, one or two of those might fill out the story nicely!

And JSDR, that's a great tip, but now I've got the monumental task of doing as good a description as you already have! I'll do my best!

Thanks, all!