• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Vanguard Literary Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. Now I remember why I quit coming here two years ago. So much intellect so poorly applied.

When you have to put a flashing "Hyperbole Alert!" next to your post in a forum for supposedly intelligent writers, that's a bad sign.

Et tu, y'all?

Okay, enjoy fighting over your sandbox, kiddies. There's a swing at the playground down the block with my name on it.

Insult, no rational argument, no opening for discussion, accusation of childishness, flounce. The Wannabe could do better, or at least strive for originality. But perhaps he'll be back in another two years.

"So much intellect" or "supposedly intelligent"? Hmm, a matter of choice as to which one you wish to accept, I suppose. Et tu, fellow AWers? :tongue

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. Now I remember why I quit coming here two years ago. So much intellect so poorly applied.

When you have to put a flashing "Hyperbole Alert!" next to your post in a forum for supposedly intelligent writers, that's a bad sign.

Et tu, y'all?

Okay, enjoy fighting over your sandbox, kiddies. There's a swing at the playground down the block with my name on it.

Wannabees are so cute at this age.

P.F.

Last edited:

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Vanguard Literary-Sandy Lu

I don't want to start another argument here, but has anyone heard back from this agent? I know that she requested partials from a few of us in December. I sent mine in early January and never heard a word. I've just scratched her off of my list but I'm curious as to whether anyone else received a reply of any sort. Thank you...

Senior Chief

Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Lu

She just responded today from a query that I sent her last week. She is requesting my full ms.

I am going to send it along and see what happens.

Senior

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Lu

Thanks for your response. I never heard back on my partial, which is unusual. Typically agents do respond to requested partials, even if it's a rejection. Has anyone who sent a partial that was requested in December (when she seemed to ask for a bunch of them) heard back or is it just me that she is ignoring?

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Lu

Sandy Lu has not responded to a requested partial after 6 months. I don't know if she responded to anyone else, but typically partials are acknowledged. Anyway...I think all of our speculations about this agent (unprofessional!) were pretty accurate. I would definitely not advise anyone to query her. Don't waste your postage! Just my opinion.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Just wanted to report my experience with this agent. I sent her a basic query without really knowing anything about the agency, and Sandy Lu responded by asking me for a partial. At that point I (of course) did a search on AW and turned up this lovely thread. I then sent her a very polite email asking if she could clear up a couple of my questions before I sent her any material - namely that she never seems to answer after she gets a partial/full, she has no record of sales that I can see, and her website, after several years, is still under construction. I said I would be happy to send her a partial if she could answer these concerns. Here is her reply:

Dear Ms. [Nightshade],

In light of your reservation, I think it is best that you do not send me any sample chapters for evaluation. For future reference, I would not trust everything I read on the internet.

Best of luck finding representation elsewhere and good fortune with your writing career.

Sandy Lu

Interesting how she doesn't actually respond to my questions - specifically, with any sales.

Steer clear of this one.

Dr. Destouches

Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Lu Sold My Book/In Defense of Vanguard

Having stumbled upon this thread, I feel obligated to respond to the unwarranted and mean-spirited criticism that has been heaped upon Sandy Lu and Vanguard Literary. As a writer who has suffered through years of rejections—the records of which I keep stuffed in a shoe box above my workstation—I completely understand the frustration that develops from the often futile attempts of an unknown and unconnected writer to acquire literary representation. I have been on the waiting end more times that I'd like to acknowledge, which has caused me significant grief and a good deal of depression. However, I realize that this is the game that I’ve chosen to play, and these are the rules. We can complain and exchange sob stories all we want, naming names and tossing accusations about like so many shuriken, but it is not going to change things. Agents work at their own pace, just like writers, and they are people with lives outside of their business (unlike most writers).

This said, I have had two agents in my career, the first of them being a giant in the field, known by anyone who is anyone in publishing. I landed her through a referral from a writer/teacher in grad school, and I assumed my future was set. As fate would have it, this person could not sell my work, despite her distinguished reputation and awe-inspiring client list. My second agent was Sandy Lu, and (contrary to many of those who have posted derogatory comments herein) I can speak from personal experience when I say that she is the most competent, hardworking, dedicated, intelligent, well-read and professional person I have met in the publishing industry. And still, all this is ancillary to the fact that she recently sold my novel in a very nice deal to a major publisher, fulfilling a lifelong dream of mine that my former big-name agent failed to do. Not only did Sandy sell it, but I believe her insightful editorial suggestions made the novel more sellable in the first place.

While I felt the compulsion to speak my mind here in order to clear up some gross miscomprehensions, I would encourage all those naysayers, doubters and venom-spewers NOT to query Ms. Lu, so that she will not have her time wasted by people who clearly do not understand the job of a literary agent, and consequently, the job of a writer trying to land an agent. If Sandy is a bit slow in getting back to unsolicited queries and manuscripts, it is simply because she carefully reads and considers everything that arrives at her desk, and spends so much time and effort on her current clients (unrepresented writers tend not to think that those with agents might want these agents to spend some time trying to sell their books). So please, I beg you to “steer clear” if you do not have the patience to wait for the real thing. It will be better for us all, most certainly if one is in the habit of sending a “basic query without really knowing anything about the agency.” This kind of behavior betrays a rank amateurism that insults and embarrasses both agent and writer.

On a final note, no agent has the responsibility to share his/her sales with anyone, and I think it is reprehensible and morally bankrupt to post part of a personal correspondence for public viewing, especially when the author has conveniently chosen to leave out her own words, describing them as “very polite,” which I suppose we should all accept as true, sight unseen. If I were an agent and some unknown writer asked me to volunteer my sales information, I would have been a lot less respectful in my response than Ms. Lu was. If you don’t feel comfortable with an agent, simply don’t query. There are many others out there to bother. It’s like those ridiculous people who blame that devilish rock music and those twisted TV programs for the poisoning of our American youth, when it doesn’t take much brain power or physical expenditure to simply change the channel. Of course, the blame game is always easier.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
And still, all this is ancillary to the fact that she recently sold my novel in a very nice deal to a major publisher

Congratulations to you. This has not been reported in Publisher's Marketplace to date; Ms. Lu might want to rectify that omission.

On a final note, no agent has the responsibility to share his/her sales with anyone

And yet, the vast majority of successful and reputable agents do this cheerfully, because they know that that's what their credibility is based on.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Gosh, such a long post and yet there were so few facts. Perhaps Dr. Destouches would care to elaborate on those such as the publisher his book was sold to and the current title of the book?

Also, if the previous agent was so prestigious, then why not mention that agent's name?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Welcome to AW, Dr. D.

Sold as in you have a signed contract from that "major publisher" or sold as in she has told you she has sold it to a "major publisher"? It does seem peculiar that no such sale has been reported except from your one (and first) post here in AW.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If I were an agent and some unknown writer asked me to volunteer my sales information, I would have been a lot less respectful in my response than Ms. Lu was.
Not sharing such information would make for a pretty lousy agent. It's a normal part of the business to let potential clients know how successful you are.

Both the agents who have repped for me since I began selling had no problem naming writers and titles in their stable when I asked. They were proud of their sales.

If an agent is unable or unwilling to provide a direct reply to a few simple questions then I would question their ability to conduct successful negotiations with publishers.

(The following did not happen and is not how it's really done. Not really, nope.)

Publisher: So, how much do you want for that book?

Agent: The traffic was terrible, good thing I took a bus over, but this guy stepped on my shoe--look at the scuff mark!

Publisher: Are you at all interested in selling us a book?

Agent: The pollen's so bad this time of year. You got a tissue?

Publisher: Look, I'm busy--have you got a book to show me or not?

Agent: Gee-you've got bottled water AND a flat screen...is that Tivo?

Publisher to editor: Pretend to lose your contact and I'll sneak out the door.

Editor: How will *I* escape?

Publisher: Pretend your cell went off.

Agent: Wow, you notice what a nice big table this is? That's real wood, isn't it? Niiice finish!

Editor: My contact fell out! Help me find it!

Agent: Great view up here--can you see the Statue of Liberty on clear days?

(Sounds of a door slam and footsteps retreating down a hall.)

icon12.gif

Last edited:

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Lu

JoNightshade:

I'm really glad that you came across this post before you wasted your time, energy, and postage sending a partial to Sandy Lu. You were very wise to request information regarding sales, etc. We all know that successful agents post their sales record on their websites and, I'm sure, would be happy to provide this information when asked. It is amusing that Sandy Lu states that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet...obviously these websites are intended to inform writers about unprofessional agents and agents who are not legitimate, and she is not happy that the truth is being circulated. An agent who has no record of sales and who never responds to requested material is not a real agent. (Has she been reported to preditors and editors yet?) My personal experience, as indicated in this thread, is that she requested a partial from me back in December 2007 with a request that I send it after the holidays. I did so (in early January 2008) and have yet to receive any response whatsoever. I am very familiar with the querying process and I have sent partials and fulls to other agents, and it is extremely rare that the agent does not reply within a reasonable amount of time. I really don't think that ignoring a requested partial for 6 months is reasonable.

My advice to writers: Don't bother sending a query to this agent because she will never respond and she is unable to assist in getting your work published, anyway. Why does she even request material? (Does she just want something free to read?) That's what I would really like to know. As writers, we deserve better and there many REAL agents out there who WILL treat you with respect.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got an e-rejection today from Sandy Lu after five months. There are quite a few posts about her lack of communication, but she does appear to have working e-mail and a return key.

It was my old, non-YA manuscript so it matters not to me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never gotten any complaints about Ms. Lu. Beyond that, I'm afraid I know no more about her than you all do. Information on the Internet is practically nonexistent, and there's no sales information that I can find.
I found her profile on Publishers Market and clicked on the link to Vanguard's website. A placeholder from Yahoo! came up saying the site was under construction. Not accusing anybody of anything, but it speaks volumes to me.

Writer911

Banned
Reaction score
Sandy Lu

I had dealings with Sandy Lu on two occasions, and while some time has passed and the details are foggy I can add my experience to this thread. First let me say that I have no reason to believe that Sandy Lu is not reputable and is not trying to establish a legit agency. Her history is getting longer, however, without a lot of visible sales.

The way my manuscript came to her desk is strange to say the least. I had sent a query with samples to Peter Rubie and the next thing I know I get a request for the entire manuscript from Sandy Lu—and I assumed she was still with Rubie as she had been listed on his site—but she had left the agency and taken my material with her. Meanwhile she asked for an exclusive and I stopped sending the story out. Months passed, perhaps a year and I finally sent her an e-mail asking what goes? She replied almost immediately that the work was all right, just not for her, and she encouraged me to approach her again. Disappointed I called Rubie asking what goes? He agreed to read samples and I sent an envelope off to him getting a quick, perfunctory no thanks.
When I had a second manuscript ready I queried SL again. She remembered who I was and asked for the whole manuscript and another exclusive—I thought that was encouraging. After months had dragged by I sent an e-mail asking if she’d had time to read it. She wrote back a rather snippy note explaining to me that she had lots to do and that I was not the only writer in the world she was attending. She explained that she was a meticulous editor before she approached any publisher and that it all took time. Quickly she rejected my second manuscript.
She requires a very detailed synopsis, and I have a feeling that she uses that as a tool and skips through the story reading a section here and there, using the synopsis as a guide.
I think she’s earnest but perhaps a bit of a control freak. Would I approach her again? Not in this lifetime.

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Writer 911:
I'm sorry to hear that you were treated that way.
I would never query this "agent" again, either.
She's not legitimate.
Good luck with your writing...
There are a lot of great agents out there and I'm sure you'll find the right one for you!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
She wrote back a rather snippy note explaining to me that she had lots to do

What? It doesn't seem like she's selling any books (or at least, she's not reporting her sales anywhere if she is). Or working on her website.

Also, perhaps other people will learn from Writer911's experience that exclusives should always be time-limited. A month or six weeks is ample. Don't give anyone an open-ended exclusive on anything.

Snagglepuss

Registered
Reaction score
I'm coming into this thread late, but I'd like to comment on the following:

On a final note, no agent has the responsibility to share his/her sales with anyone...

Personally, I believe that if an agent won't reveal his/her sales, that's a big red flag waving in your face. If you send a polite email asking to know about an agent's recent sales, and he/she refuses to divulge them, I'd run. Based on my experience, professional, successful agents are proud of their sales, and certainly don't hide them. I would not sign a contract with an agent who refuses to reveal sales info.

Reaction score
My experience

I queried Mz. Lu about three weeks ago. She responded last night with a partial request of the first 50 pages. Like many others, I don't find the posts here heartening.

I think it's also of interest to note that "Dr. Destouches" joined Absolutewrite, made only one post and has yet to be heard from again. Anybody good at comparing writing styles between the example offered up as Mz. Lu's words earlier in this thread against the rather long post from the good doctor to see if there are any odd similarities? ;)

Garmani

Registered
Reaction score
Another Story

Looks like I should hang about more.

I have about the same story. I received a partial request from Vanguard in late summer, and sent the first 50 pages. Almost immediately, I got an encouraging email back, and a request for a full MS. I sent the full, via email, via the same method.

A small amount of chaos ensued. (By the way, I got the strangest set of instructions about how to structure the page numbers and headers of the MS to send to Ms. Lu - completely different than what is standard throughout the rest of the industry, if I recall.) For some reason, she complained that my file came in completely garbled and unreadable - though I always BCC one of my other email addresses and check the file to make sure that everything looks proper when it arrives, and it came to that address in fine form. I sent the file again - same complaint from Ms. Lu. Finally, after trying to send her a .doc, an .rtf and a .docx file, I converted it to .pdf and she said that "finally worked" and suggested that I learn how to attach a file before sending out any other manuscripts. I'm not an arrogant person, but I am quite computer savvy. (I've taught MS Office on the college level and have been working with software and computers for almost 20 years.) I resisted the urge to tell her that clearly she has some issue on her end, as no other agency had ever experienced a problem receiving my work.

Anyhow, we're now some six months into the game, and my last few emails (after I've waited the requisite three months) have gone unanswered altogether. I'm assuming that's how it will be, and also assuming that the 50-page and full MS requests are fairly standard procedure for Vanguard.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Having stumbled upon this thread, I feel obligated to respond to the unwarranted and mean-spirited criticism that has been heaped upon Sandy Lu and Vanguard Literary. As a writer who has suffered through years of rejections—the records of which I keep stuffed in a shoe box above my workstation...

I doubt Miss Lu is much of an agent, but reading through this post, her fiction isn't half bad!

Writer911

Banned
Reaction score
I think folks that the sands are shifting under our feet. It appears the whole publishing business is in the throes of change. I have a distinct feeling that we are wasting money and time approaching minor agents because a lot of the—even big names—have been tossed out into the street. Writing is changing, the venue is changing. We have to change as well. I’m open to suggestions.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so. Apparently Ms. Lu is now with Lori Perkins Literary Agency. Ms. Perkins forwarded my query to Ms. Lu:

Thank you for sending us a query letter describing your novel, TITLE. My name is Sandy Lu, and I am a new associate agent at L Perkins Agency. I would like to take a look at sample chapters (the first 45-50 pages) of your manuscript.

Dunno what that means to all you experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.