Racism An honest question.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
And I think the biggest thing we need to do is GIVE EACH OTHER A FRICKIN BREAK. If we just all stopped being so paranoid about the whole thing and gave each other the benefit of the doubt, I think we could all relax enough to make an actual change.

You've just summed up how I feel about the situation when I didn't quite know how to say it.

GIVE EACH OTHER A FRICKIN BREAK! Along with the benefit of the doubt. Then the real racists would stand out more clearly and we wouldn't constantly be searching for either direct or indirect racism, thus inaccurately labeling far too many.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
What matters is how you respond to the information your brain gives you.
Ding, ding...you win

It's not what you think, it's how you react.

Denying you don't harbor "those" thoughts is dishonest

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't harbor racist thoughts, though.

But my background, what I hated, what I learned, all just leaned toward how much I hated any racism, and most classicism, etc.

I was more likely to say "Oooh, Black Person! How novel! I know I like you!" as my mistake back in the day ;)

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't harbor racist thoughts, though.

But my background, what I hated, what I learned, all just leaned toward how much I hated any racism, and most classicism, etc.

I was more likely to say "Oooh, Black Person! How novel! I know I like you!" as my mistake back in the day ;)
my bold

I trust you don't harbor racist thoughts.

Racial bias is different and is not restricted to white, black, yellow, etc., all races have racial bias.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to find the correct word that denotes the natural uneasiness, fear that all people feel in the presence of an unknown person(s) of another race or culture.

Racial Tension; Racial Bias. Both work.

Racial Dukkha. Let's use that.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So awareness of innate bias?

I've got that. I've got tons of deep, learned (rightly or wrongly) biases at work all the time. We all do. I think my first bias is class. I wish it wasn't. Not that I wish it were race, of course. I wish my first bias was against people who don't know enough history. Or who don't like music. Or people who don't like to read. Yeah, those Effers...

But, ya can't pick that kind of stuff. It is simply human.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
my bold

I trust you don't harbor racist thoughts.

Racial bias is different and is not restricted to white, black, yellow, etc., all races have racial bias.

Oooo, true. Racial bias.

I think that everyone starts with racial bias. But I honestly don't believe that everyone has it later, depending on how much attention the subject got throughout their lives.

If someone has never had the opportunity to be good friends with folks of other races, for instance, the 'knowns' vs 'unknowns' will be quite different.

Deleted member 42

Bias is, unfortunately, all too human, and yeah, I think we all have racial, ethnic, class, etc. bias.

Racial bias is probably the one that's easiest to spot in ourselves, but even it is pernicious.

It can be as simple as realizing we're using a racial identifier when it has no bearing on the situation or context.

"I always walk my dog on weekdays, my Chinese friend Sue walks my dog on Sundays, and I walk Sue's dog on Saturdays."

There's nothing there that is at all related to Sue's ethnicity, but we often unconsciously include the primary identifier we have for a person in odd ways.

And when I notice it, I always sort of stop and double-check what I'm doing, and why. I don't want to pigeon hole people like that.

I don't want people thinking of me as "My dyslexic friend Lisa," for instance. It's just the way I was born. I'd rather, if they need a qualifier (and mostly we don't) they use something that reflects on all of me, and how I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Bias is, unfortunately, all too human, and yeah, I think we all have racial, ethnic, class, etc. bias.

Racial bias is probably the one that's easiest to spot in ourselves, but even it is pernicious.

It can be as simple as realizing we're using a racial identifier when it has no bearing on the situation or context.

"I always walk my dog on weekdays, my Chinese friend Sue walks my dog on Sundays, and I walk Sue's dog on Saturdays."

There's nothing there that is at all related to Sue's ethnicity, but we often unconsciously include the primary identifier we have for a person in odd ways.

And when I notice it, I always sort of stop and double-check what I'm doing, and why. I don't want to pigeon hole people like that.

I don't want people thinking of me as "My dyslexic friend Lisa," for instance. It's just the way I was born. I'd rather, if they need a qualifier (and mostly we don't" they use something that reflects on all of me, and how I am.
would be relevant if your dog is a Shih Tzu?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Originally Posted by Prozyan
The greatest apprehension I have regarding race is saying or doing something that somehow gets me labeled a racist.

aside from overt and demonstrable racism, this is the crux of the problem.

Very much agreed.

oh, yeah... Hi, Robert!

even if you lived there for 15 years you still weren't part of the town.

That's the world I'm in now. At least every other month, in some conversation I hear, "Oh that's right. You're not from here."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to find the correct word that denotes the natural uneasiness, fear that all people feel in the presence of an unknown person(s) of another race or culture.

There has to be something between Bigotry (intolerance), Racism (superiority/ discrimination) and Racial Bias that is not some politically correct nonsense.

Or, are there degrees of bigotry, racism and bias, i.e. can someone have bigoted, racist or biased feelings without being a screaming fanatic (KKK, Nazis, Black Panther, etc.)?

My reason for asking, IMHO in order to genuinely address racial tension, one has to be able to admit and discuss that they indeed have racial biases without being called bigots or racist.

Am I racially biased? Yes I am, but I am not a bigot or racist.

Any ideas?

Good topic.

Being a little bit racist is like being a little bit pregnant. Either you're all in or you're all out.

There is a difference between bias, prejudice and racism. Racism is the worst, prejudice following and bias the mildest of the three. Within these three are degrees.

Some folks straddle lines and eventually go from being passively biased to actively racist like the guy who shot up the Holocaust museum.

Are we biased or do we simply have a preference for one group of people than another? I travel in circles with more Blacks than Whites, more straights than gays and more women (ha-ha. headfake) than men.

That's not just a preference though. It's just how it shakes out. It's complicated and there's no easy answer.

Last edited:

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Know what I would really, really be interested in doing?

Find, oh say, 5 or 6 or more people who can openly admit they harbor racial biases, and have a honest discussion without calling each other a racist or bigot.

The idea is not to change each other’s mind but to listen and then explain why we each feel the way we do. We probably will never agree on some points, but it will give us a better understanding as to why we think/feel differently.

I hate walking on egg shells and God knows I am sooo not PC.

Just a thought

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I hate walking on egg shells and God knows I am sooo not PC.

so don't walk on eggshells.

the obsession with what others think of us is what leads us to the sort of polite dishonesty that is the hallmark of modern society.