Agent submission inquiry

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
Hello all.

Just wondering, when an agent asks for sample chapters, does the prologue count as the first chapter or as something that should be included too.

For example.

An agent asks for the first chapter as a sample. Should I send the prologue or should it be the prologue AND Chapter 1?

Same with other chapter related inquiries. First three chapters = Prologue + Chapters 1 and 2 or is it Prologue AND Chapters 1 - 3

Many thanks

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
When I was submitting to agents I sent ch1, even though my novel has a prologue.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought that if your story starts in the prologue (with the same characters, voice, POV, as the rest of the piece), then it's best to send the prologue and count it as the first chapter. However, if the actual story doesn't start until the first chapter, and the prologue is only backstory or something that doesn't come into play until much later in the story, then it's best to skip the prologue and send the first chapter.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends. (I also asked this question. Might be helpful.) I sent Ch1 for either chapters or pages and sent the prologue with the full because of the "where the story starts" issue.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You have a choice, send the prologue, or surprise the agent with it later. If you were the agent, which would you prefer?

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
My first book started with a prologue and I always sent that as sample pages/included that plus Chapter 1 & 2 for a partial.

Good luck either way, jdwhitelaw. :)