The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundawson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Specifically she said "the novel has had one read here and another reader is taking a look." Her exact words. So no, she didn't say she was passing it on to someone but I suppose looking for a second opinion is right, that she's not quite 100%.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing, no matter how you look at it. It's still being read, it's still being considered, and the agent hasn't rejected you. She was also considerate enough to communicate and let you know what's going on. All good for now.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Deep Gloom

Well, the editor who really liked my book at the major publisher I desperately hoped for, after trying to get them to take it for over two years, has finally given up.

I'm trying to appreciate that she thought the book was good enough that she kept putting in that kind of effort. I am, really. But I'm getting so sick of being told 'this is good but...' If it's already good, well, great, but how doI make it, or any of the others, good in a way that someone will actually buy them? Nobody seems to be able to tell me.

If I'd just been told I was rubbish years ago, maybe I'd have had the sense to give up. I don't know if I'd be any happier, but I might be less tired from all the trying.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the editor who really liked my book at the major publisher I desperately hoped for, after trying to get them to take it for over two years, has finally given up.

I'm trying to appreciate that she thought the book was good enough that she kept putting in that kind of effort. I am, really. But I'm getting so sick of being told 'this is good but...' If it's already good, well, great, but how doI make it, or any of the others, good in a way that someone will actually buy them? Nobody seems to be able to tell me.

If I'd just been told I was rubbish years ago, maybe I'd have had the sense to give up. I don't know if I'd be any happier, but I might be less tired from all the trying.

So sorry about this. Can your agent not help (if you have one) with tweaking it so it is taken on? Two years is a loooong time, the editor must've loved it.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
So sorry about this. Can your agent not help (if you have one) with tweaking it so it is taken on? Two years is a loooong time, the editor must've loved it.
Seems not - both agent and editor liked it as it was.

He's trying other markets.

I'm writing another book.

What else can you do?

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Babe, that's a bummer, and such a long time to have to wait! I've only been waiting a few weeks on the verdict from an editor who loved the book and sent it up the food chain for approval, and I've about given up. I try not to think about it in any case.

I so feel for you! Perhaps the next book will be THE one. :)

ChrisKelly331

Peter Steele <3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinakelly.webs.com
Babe, that's a bummer, and such a long time to have to wait! I've only been waiting a few weeks on the verdict from an editor who loved the book and sent it up the food chain for approval, and I've about given up. I try not to think about it in any case.

I so feel for you! Perhaps the next book will be THE one. :)

totally with you on that Karen. It's only been a little over 2 weeks for me and I'm like ready to toss myself off a bridge lol I'm always so worrisome when it comes to publisher with fulls. For me the longer it takes the longer they have time to suddenly hate it :p

Karen Duvall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
totally with you on that Karen. It's only been a little over 2 weeks for me and I'm like ready to toss myself off a bridge lol I'm always so worrisome when it comes to publisher with fulls. For me the longer it takes the longer they have time to suddenly hate it :p

I picture my manuscript at the bottom of a heap in Head Cheese editor's office. Maybe it's propping up the leg of his desk, or holding the door open. I think it's time for a pep talk from my agent. I'm currently going through postpartum depression after turning in another new book. Sigh.

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
Sometimes it's hard to imagine how any book ever gets sold... when it's not enough for an editor to have fallen in love with it, but then they have to convince 40 other people to love it too.

Last time I was on submission, I got plenty of complimentary rejections, but I didn't make it to even one acquisition meeting or one step "up the food chain"... So many possible stages for things to fall apart on.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it's hard to imagine how any book ever gets sold... when it's not enough for an editor to have fallen in love with it, but then they have to convince 40 other people to love it too.

Last time I was on submission, I got plenty of complimentary rejections, but I didn't make it to even one acquisition meeting or one step "up the food chain"... So many possible stages for things to fall apart on.

And then one day it happens. Holding your published book in your hands is truly the sweetest moment, partly because of how hard the road was.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

I've been through this twice with agent repped books via my current agent, and twice with another agent circa 1988--1991. I think the worst pain you ever feel is when you come to the end of the sub trail with a book that you and your agent adores. You're bolstered up during the entire process with a glimmer of hope, thinking that just one editor will feel the same way about it and go to bat for you. But when 18 of the most powerful and influential editors give it the ax, something inside of you dies and you begin mumbling to yourself. "If these giants rejected me outright, then there's no hope for this--this book really is shit."

That's where you could be wrong. That's the time when you have to administer the chest thump and begin CPR. Not on your book per se. But on you. (I swear, I'm going to devise a triage thread for orphaned books!) If you believe in that book, you'll hit the sub trail again. With a vengence. It ain't easy, but it CAN be fun, and you can get some very helpful feedback from editors who take the time to analyze your story and shoot the shite with you.

The Lupus Strain received 37 rejections before it was offered a contract.

Gate Walker pulled 19 rejections before it hit. (Agent didn't even like this book). It was offered another contract soon after.

Planet Janitor ran through 41 rejections before it sold. Even received a nice little advance on this one, but I voided the contract before it went to print. It's now sitting with another small press who is half way through it and loving it. I do expect a sale on this one.

I'm just saying it's not the end. When and if you do get an offer from a small or independent publisher, YOU'VE GOT TO WORK THAT CONTRACT. Don't be afraid to change or add clauses. Or you can have your agent rip it a new one. And for gawd's sakes, ask for an advance EVERY TIME--something reasonable and within their budget. You just might get it! It also demonstrates your self-value.

Your alternative is to back-burner the manuscript for a year or so. In that time, you can change the title, rename the characters, tweak the plot, revise and polish. You can use a pseudonym, if it makes you feel any better. The point is, you're going back out into the world with that book in stealth mode. It should be significantly reworked to the point where it's not instantly recognizable, just in case in lands on the same editor's desk. (Important: huddle with your agent if you choose this route--you can decide on precisely what to do. He/she will also know if editor positions have been changed in a year's time, and that means new eyes on an old manuscript.

Just never say it's the end. You've got options.

Tri

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
But I'm getting so sick of being told 'this is good but...' If it's already good, well, great, but how doI make it, or any of the others, good in a way that someone will actually buy them? Nobody seems to be able to tell me

I feel your pain. We've all been there, even the published at one time or another (or continually).

The reason no one can answer your question is because nobody has a precise formula. We know what shouldn't be done, we know some of the things that must be done --- but.......

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I sent blurbs of new projects to agent to see which one she'd rather see, and I am now very nervous.

Eep.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
The Agent is going to be calling me today to discuss the outline and first three chapters of book 2 that I sent him. *chews fingers*

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. I've received a radio appearance request. Is this something I should consult with my agent about? I'll be discussing the paranormal and books.

Karen Duvall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a question. I've received a radio appearance request. Is this something I should consult with my agent about? I'll be discussing the paranormal and books.

You don't have to, but I would if I were you, just because it's something to include in your CV. And your agent can tell editors to listen in. She might even include it in her pitch letter (if she does one). Congrats on the appearance, though. Sounds like fun. :)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score

Definitely. Give her the opportunity to make the most out of it.

alexalex

Registered
Reaction score
Even my superb agent couldn't do it. Went into submission in January. Multiple rejections and two real close calls with the editors loving it but not getting enough in-house support. Now I'm on the final round with about half a dozen editors looking at the mss. This feels like the end of the line for me and I'm not at all hopeful. I had multiple offers from agents. Selling the mss to a publishing house is another matter.

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
*hugs* alex.

What can I say except I've been there (and expect to be there again soon). But don't give up hope. As long as your agent hasn't given up, there's still a chance.

oneidii

Copyediting Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkblom.com
I'm sorry to hear it, AA. Here's hoping that you find the perfect editor. Like TOni said, as llong as your agent still believes, there's always a chance.

((hug))

Status
Not open for further replies.