holy crap batman, fate must like me

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
This afternoon, my wife shouted "Oooooh, um, come look at this" from across the house.

This is invariably one of my least favorite phrases, at least with the inflection she was using at the time, because it means I am supposed to come bear witness to something bad--usually something I did, and usually something where a fair amount of work is in my future because of it.

When I got there, she handed me something small and quite warm, saying "uh oh, look what went through the wash and dryer."

I opened my hand and held a zip drive; the one that had my first draft of a memoir and 230-some pages of my next work. Both were saved elsewhere, but the new one was last saved at like page 140.

I stuck the drive into the computer, resigned to a hard lesson learned, and the stupid thing works fine! I couldn't believe it.

I do not recommend trying this at home, but I do recommend backing your stuff up.....

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder LOL. I think the writing gods like to make our heartbeats go all wonky every once in a while.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
when I plugged it in and the files all popped up, I whispered "holyfuckinshiiiiit" undr my breath and then saved everything to the desktop right away, afraid if I touched anything or tried re-saving, even that might be too much temptation for fate......

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I opened my hand and held a zip drive; the one that had my first draft of a memoir and 230-some pages of my next work. Both were saved elsewhere, but the new one was last saved at like page 140.

I stuck the drive into the computer, resigned to a hard lesson learned, and the stupid thing works fine! I couldn't believe it.

What's it made of? Kryptonite?

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
i have learned there are things in life you just dont question. this would be one. someone really loves you so keep lovin them back in case this happens again. also be thankful the wife let you off easy lol. you may not have the same luck.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Go. Buy. A. Lottery. Ticket.

Wow. Luck is on your side today.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Since someone asked, it was a geek squad 4 gig zip that has a rotating plastic arm/sleeve it snaps into. Just a fairly large stock Best Buy drive. I'm happy to plug the zip after that, although I would not recommend trying to replicate my work.....

I think fate was perhaps giving me a do-over or compensatory day to make up for the one on Friday where I broke almost everything I touched. Thanks for all the wishes, I probably should have bought the damn lottto ticket, all things considered.

Quick

Elhrrah

Summon Bigger Fish
Registered
Reaction score
If you're really worried about your data storage getting damaged, try picking something up from the corsair survivor lineup. Solid metal case, waterproof seal, doubles as an improvised weapon in case of emergency; what more could you ask for?

You can throw it pretty far, too, if you do it right.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Flash drives are pretty resilient, I accidentally washed one of mine yesterday. All it has on it are multiplayer games so that I can play with a friend without installing crap.

However, a strong tip to take, since you lucked out this time. Don't plug them in until a couple of days after they were washed. To repeat, put them somewhere dry for a few days first.

A lot of them will just fry if they're plugged in with water inside.

Another computer guy tip I'll give is to not keep the current one on a thumb drive. They crap out after so many rewrites, and a lot of text editors make a lot of rewrites of the file. example, Open Office does one every minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.