Can writing hurt a potential career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I just wanted to second this - I would also recommend looking into the current reality of flying commercial. It's changed dramatically in the past ten years. Out of the established pilots I know, a few have been laid off, and there's also a family friend who graduated from flight school and opted not to be a pilot because the benefits are not as good as they once were and finding a job is incredibly difficult. I would try and talk with some pilots about the state of the industry. Flight school is expensive, and trying to juggle a writing career with trying to pay off student loans is not especially fun - especially if the career is not as financially lucrative as it once was.

That said, if you really want to go for it, I say go for it.

yep - I have a friend who's a pilot. been one for 10 years. he works more hours than anyone I know. (he works for Delta, btw). he told me that the last 5-10 years of a pilot's career is when they get to do two or three flights a month (long haul) - that's when a pilot's job becomes the sweet-life. but as mentioned above, if you can swing it, go for it!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also know of a guy who was laid off because his boss knew he had a book out and assumed he could be let go. The boss either didn't understand how publishing works or used it as an excuse, either way the writer was out of a job.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
yep - I have a friend who's a pilot. been one for 10 years. he works more hours than anyone I know. (he works for Delta, btw). he told me that the last 5-10 years of a pilot's career is when they get to do two or three flights a month (long haul) - that's when a pilot's job becomes the sweet-life. but as mentioned above, if you can swing it, go for it!

I was under the impression you weren't even allowed to fly heavy hours.

Not sure if I want to get $70,000 in debt if this is all true.

Status
Not open for further replies.