Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much Suzanne! Any advice is most welcome.

It's only a five-minute reading slot. A few authors from the "Galactic Creatures" anthology will each get to read a small piece from their story.

My plan was to just read from the beginning. I read out loud and timed myself a couple of times, so I know when to stop -- and there's a decent stopping point just under a five minute mark.

Pausing, half sentences and general bad diction on the other hand are all serious issues. I'll keep working at it!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much Suzanne! Any advice is most welcome.

You're welcome, and if I had any way of attending Balticon, you'd bet I'd be in the audience! (And not making faces at you while you're trying to read, not at all, because that would be mean.)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near as comfortable posting brags as I am rejections, and even less so now that I've been modded, because everyone here works really hard and deserves (and can reach) enormous success. That said, I also know I wouldn't have anything to brag about if not for the support and wisdom of folks here on AW and W1/S1, nor do I know a better bunch of people to celebrate with. So, anyway, I just made my third pro sale, a novelette (300 words shy of a novella, I knew I should've done more with the fire ants!) to Asimov's.

:fistpump

So, cheers. *passes around virtual bubbly*

And with that, I am out of both finished stories and crickets, and likely to remain so until my current moving chaos is over, in late summer.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huge congratulations on the Asimov's sale, Suzanne! And, this being your third, on the SFWA qualification as well!

:partyguy:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!!

Sheepz for Suzanne :) That's really wonderful news!!!

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
congrats on all the acceptances! And yeah Zanz! WTG!

Alex, what's helped me with readings (which I actually enjoy doing, BTW, just not the pre-reading jitters) is scoping out the place ahead of time and practicing there. Five minutes isn't that bad, really, and it's fun hearing the audience reactions.

I actually got an acceptance too, but am one of the shy ones when it comes to announcing places before things are signed.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Suzanne. That's a real freakin' awesome accomplishment!

And like Suzanne, I also sold a third story to the same market. This one was actually a substantial (compared to flash) piece to Stupefying, out at 40 days. They were really quick about these last two!

Last edited:

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Zanzjan - that is awesome! And congrats Marzioli too - SS must really like your stories.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Five minutes isn't that bad, really, and it's fun hearing the audience reactions.

I actually got an acceptance too, but am one of the shy ones when it comes to announcing places before things are signed.

Wait a minute now... No one said there was going to be an audience there! *shivers* :)

Congratulations on the sekrit sale -- look forward to hearing more once you've signed the contract.

And congrats Sam on your third Stupefying sale! I'm hoping to join you soon -- I have a longish story in their slush at 46 days now which will also be my third sale there if accepted.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I also sold a third story to the same market. This one was actually a substantial (compared to flash) piece to Stupefying, out at 40 days. They were really quick about these last two!

w00t! Congratulations! :)

Congrats Susanne, that's amazing. Is that your second sale to Asimov's now?

The magic third, although so far only one's come out. Second story should be in the Sept issue.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations V1c and Marzioli!!!!

You can haz sheepz :)

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ladies and gents! This one was one of my milestones. Now to get those contracts...

I'm hoping to join you soon -- I have a longish story in their slush at 46 days now which will also be my third sale there if accepted.
I got my fingers crossed for you, Alex! Good luck, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.