Pinging out in IceChat alllllll the time

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been chatting using IceChat 7 for well over a year now. My laptop ("The Beast") didn't have any problems with it and only pang when my connection stuttered, which was next to never.

Now The Beast passed on on Thursday night (fried motherboard circuits), and I downloaded IceChat 7 to my mom's laptop ("Mom") so I could keep fulfilling my chat duties. Mom kept pinging whenever I was quiet for a few minutes.

I purchased a netbook ("Emma") as new back-up on Saturday and started working and chatting on Emma, using IceChat 9. I've pung countless times since Saturday, every time I didn't talk for a few minutes. In addition to that, the program won't auto-op me when I sign in, even though the server has and recognizes my password.

Does anyone know what to do about the constant pinging? It's annoying and I can't keep an eye on chat properly. Also, the auto-opping. I need to figure out how to configure my new laptop ("EvilPants") when I get it today or tomorrow.

Also, another user pung me and got this:
[IOtrackers PING reply]: 370806hrs 13mins 41secs

:Wha:

Any help is greatly appreciated!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
When I was looking at this earlier I found an old thread on the Icechat forums, here, which mentions (in reply #2),
There is an easy way to fix this probllem. For the server in question, open up the Server Editor, go to Startup Options, and enable the "Show Server Lag in Console" option. This will send a request to the server every 5 minutes, to see if it is connected. Then if the connection is lost, IceChat will know.
Just wondering if this still applies... the thread's from 2007!

-Derek

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was looking at this earlier I found an old thread on the Icechat forums, here, which mentions (in reply #2),

Just wondering if this still applies... the thread's from 2007!

-Derek

This option is not available in the edit server options, or even in the menu that pops up when I right-click the server :(

Thanks, Derek :)

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Small update. This is the error message I get:

Socket Error: 10053 : Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure (Server)

When I click on the helpful link provided, I get this:

Software caused connection abort. An established connection was aborted by the software in your host computer, possibly due to a data transmission time-out or protocol error.

Now, this means nothing to me. But maybe it's useful info?

ETA: this is the third laptop with the same problem, which started on Friday. It happens in both IceChat 9 and IceChat 7.

Last edited: