Animal Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDarvinWords

sex/rage through song/dance
Registered
Reaction score
So next week I will be buying New Leaf and I'm so excited I can't stand it. Is anyone else super excited?? Also, I noticed there wasn't an Animal Crossing thread. So feel free to share any hilarious memories you have from previous versions of the game.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I might be getting it. I really enjoyed it on Gamecube, but I'm still so fixated on Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate (even after 500 hours) it's going to be hard to justify the expense of a game I might not get into for a while. I mean, I'm already neglecting Harvest Moon: A New Beginning and I haven't even started wooing my spouse yet. :D

JDarvinWords

Registered
Reaction score
I've never played it, but every time I hear about it I think about this comic.

Yes, this comic often comes to mind for me as well.

However, I do think it's worth mentioning that the author of that story was either ignorant or a troll. Harsh, I know. But the sad truth is your character's mother (in the game) sends gifts and letters in that same fashion automatically as part of the game. So for me that takes away from the sadness aspect of it.

KingGolem

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this comic often comes to mind for me as well.

However, I do think it's worth mentioning that the author of that story was either ignorant or a troll. Harsh, I know. But the sad truth is your character's mother (in the game) sends gifts and letters in that same fashion automatically as part of the game. So for me that takes away from the sadness aspect of it.

Certainly, that may be the case, but this seems awfully nuanced for a troll. Perhaps the artist simply intended it as a poignant bit of fiction? On the other hand, if they were genuinely ignorant, and this is based on a true story, it goes from being sad to mind-blowingly pathetic. I kind of doubt that, though. After all, he played it to some degree before giving it over to his mom, so it's quite likely he encountered some of these letters even before his mother played.

Anyway, on to happy thoughts. I, too, had the original Animal Crossing for Gamecube, and I enjoyed it immensely. It's interesting to see that they are changing up the formula a bit. Apparently, in this installment, you are the new mayor, rather than a new resident. That could add an interesting new layer of depth to the gameplay. Alas, if I were on firmer economic footing at this time, I'd probably get it. As it stands, however, I am without a job. I have to save my money for where it really matters, i.e. Pokémon Y.

JDarvinWords

Registered
Reaction score
. Alas, if I were on firmer economic footing at this time, I'd probably get it. As it stands, however, I am without a job. I have to save my money for where it really matters, i.e. Pokémon Y.

Oh, Pokemon Y? You mean the greatest event in handheld gaming history? Sure, I've heard of it.

Although employed, I too am not really in a position to drop forty bucks on a game. Lucky for me, my girlfriend is pregnant and father's day is coming up. So I asked for it. I know, I'm bad.

And yes, you are the mayor in this one. At first I was worried that this would give you too much power. But from what I've read and watched, it looks like you still start out with pretty much nothing (but a tent) and build up. I also love the amount of customization you can do in this one. You can even put stuff up on the walls of your house.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I just picked this up last night. :) I've played the DS Wild World version, and the changes so far are really impressing me. so much customisation!

It's a shame there have been some problematic elements in this installment with the lack of skin colour choices (they removed the 'tanning' feature of previous games), but I'm hoping Nintendo will sort that in the near future.

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Good to hear it's an improvement on previous versions, but the skin-color thing annoys me. C'mon people, it's 2013, get with the program.

The funny thing is, the new Harvest Moon has multiple skin colors available (yay!) but I thought the darkest skin tone looked... unrealistic... so I went with a lighter one. :/

I'll probably pick this up sometime. I've been looking for it sort of casually when I go out, but nobody has it in stock.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, there's some stock issues in the UK as well -- my local supermarket was out of stock, had to try a different chain.

Pokemon's got some new skin colour options coming in X/Y and the character models for that look really good. But then again, I'm excited about every single aspect of that game. :p

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I'm curious about Pokemon, as I've never played it before. I'll have to do a little more research, but I'll possibly pick that up too.

BTW, I finally tracked down a copy of New Leaf -- the last one available from the latest batch at the supermarket. I'm glad to see it's selling so well, as I really adore my 3DS and I want to see it thrive. I haven't even unwrapped the game yet, though, as I'm waiting until after I finish my WIP to start playing it.

tupper

werebox
Registered
Reaction score
Never liked the DS version, but New Leaf here has me thoroughly, thoroughly hooked. Could we get some friendcode trading up in here? My friends list is rather pitiful and I'd love some new towns to explore. I'm at 4699-5745-0702. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.