Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, selling a YA book with girl characters but no romance is possible. But so is winning the lottery. It's gonna happen to someone, but odds are it ain't gonna be you.

And yes, agreed that there's a difference between revising to sell and selling out. But then again, there's a time and a place for selling out too.
ha! yes i DID NOT win the lottery...

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
You guys just hit the nail on the head: I would totally "sell out" if I felt like the book wouldn't lose anything by doing so. I don't fear just losing my "style," because I'm a publishing whore, too. I always kind of thought I'd add a robot-monster to something if it meant I could sell it. That said, the more I think on it, the more I feel like dimming it down would make it a different story, if that makes sense.

THAT said, I have been compiling a list of things I would have to do to do the rewrites on it, sort of labeling those changes based on how complicated or significant they'd be, which ones are easy fixes, etc. Once I put that list together, I'll see if that helps me decide for sure. I'm keeping an open mind.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
You guys just hit the nail on the head: I would totally "sell out" if I felt like the book wouldn't lose anything by doing so. I don't fear just losing my "style," because I'm a publishing whore, too. I always kind of thought I'd add a robot-monster to something if it meant I could sell it. That said, the more I think on it, the more I feel like dimming it down would make it a different story, if that makes sense.

THAT said, I have been compiling a list of things I would have to do to do the rewrites on it, sort of labeling those changes based on how complicated or significant they'd be, which ones are easy fixes, etc. Once I put that list together, I'll see if that helps me decide for sure. I'm keeping an open mind.

Unless you can't bring yourself to do the changes, I think Kellion (I think it was Kellion) had a good idea.

Do the changes, and keep submitting the book as is. If you don't get any other takers, selling the book in a form you don't particularly like might not seem quite so bad.

If you end up hating the book, but wanting the money you can always publish it under a pen name. If there is no prospect of money, or very very little money, that also changes the equation. (Considering how the phrase 'publishing whore' doesn't quite work without the promise of money.')

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Teriann and Kelly, you guys have a good point. I'm definitely looking into it. Speaking of, when you get an R&R like that, how have you guys handled it as far as responding? Do you respond prior to the R&R to say sure, I'm doing it, or do you just wait and send it?

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Teriann and Kelly, you guys have a good point. I'm definitely looking into it. Speaking of, when you get an R&R like that, how have you guys handled it as far as responding? Do you respond prior to the R&R to say sure, I'm doing it, or do you just wait and send it?

Depending on how casual the communication has been, I think you should at least thank her for the suggestions and the opportunity to revise and tell her you need to think over the suggestions.

Keep everything very positive so all doors stay wide open.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What Teri said. Thank them for the feedback and the opportunity, and let them know you're seriously thinking about the suggestions and will be in touch if you're pleased with the results.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score

A agree! At this point I feel that even though I've written a lot and practiced writing a lot, I'm still that plastic piece of clay; You want a giant robot chicken to terrorize downtown San Francisco? I can do that! If it means I'll get published, I can do that!

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man >.< since when are Hippies picky? I have a bike that I'm giving away because it's a man's bike and I had decided that if I'm going to ride daily, I could at least get a bike that is the right height for me (chosen because it was red&black, my favorite color&tone while all of the chick bikes were piiiiiiink.) I found myself a new bike that is a pretty Teal color and so I posted to CL that I'm giving my old bike away. It needs a tune up but apart from that it is still ride-able. People seem to actually be thinking about this? It's a free friggin' bike for free! I keep getting emails about make/model/ how old it is etc. :rant: Am I missing something?!

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Oh, man >.< since when are Hippies picky? I have a bike that I'm giving away because it's a man's bike and I had decided that if I'm going to ride daily, I could at least get a bike that is the right height for me (chosen because it was red&black, my favorite color&tone while all of the chick bikes were piiiiiiink.) I found myself a new bike that is a pretty Teal color and so I posted to CL that I'm giving my old bike away. It needs a tune up but apart from that it is still ride-able. People seem to actually be thinking about this? It's a free friggin' bike for free! I keep getting emails about make/model/ how old it is etc. :rant: Am I missing something?!

HAHAHA! I have a whole blog post about the torments of CL. Never offer anything free. Ask $5. Or $10. Something to compensate you for wasted time.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score

People are suspicious of FREE. If you charge $0.99, you'll probably get more takers. I know, it's crazy, but true.

ETA: Red beat me to it.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
People are suspicious of FREE. If you charge $0.99, you'll probably get more takers. I know, it's crazy, but true.

ETA: Red beat me to it.

Hmmm...I suppose I'd ask questions because I don't need more stuff that doesn't work for me well. But that's just me.
:e2thud:Do either of you guys need a free men's bike? :tongue

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Feeling Pittish.

I got an e-mail from my agent and its subject header was "can you give me a call?"

Now, a header like that should only mean one thing in a just world, and if it had meant that thing, you know I wouldn't be here in the Pit. But no. My agent told me that the publisher (the last one, I believe) rejected my book "but they were full of praise and I can fill you in and the editor wants to talk to you."

I wasn't able to reach my agent today but honestly, I am not looking forward to talking to this editor (though I will). I do not want to hear fulsome praise form anyone except someone who wants to either sell or buy my novel. This is not an R & R. It's a plain old R(ejection) with icing on top.

I hate icing.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
(((lkp))) oh, that really burns. I'm so sorry. Is it normal for an editor to want to talk to a writer they rejected? I have no experience at that side of things, but it seems strange/awful to me.

Leigh. LOL. Maybe you should just donate it.

(((Colby))) That is a tough decision re: the R&R, but sounds like some sage advice from the collective Pit. May the coming days bring you clarity (or an outright offer!).

I got 3 zombie query Rs today and logged them into QT. I have now received 100 rejections. I feel so stupid for thinking this would turn out any different. I do have my list of editors to query directly for this project, so it isn't completely dead. Yet.

Maggotini anyone?

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
(((lkp)))...why would she want to talk to you if it isn't an r & r. Maybe it isn't now, but she's talking to you to see if it can be... am i talking too unpittishly

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling Pittish.

I got an e-mail from my agent and its subject header was "can you give me a call?"

Now, a header like that should only mean one thing in a just world, and if it had meant that thing, you know I wouldn't be here in the Pit. But no. My agent told me that the publisher (the last one, I believe) rejected my book "but they were full of praise and I can fill you in and the editor wants to talk to you."

I wasn't able to reach my agent today but honestly, I am not looking forward to talking to this editor (though I will). I do not want to hear fulsome praise form anyone except someone who wants to either sell or buy my novel. This is not an R & R. It's a plain old R(ejection) with icing on top.

I hate icing.

I've been at this game a long time, and I've never heard of this happening with an editor at a commercial house unless the editor is really interested in you as a writer.

An editor this interested is someone to cultivate. I know it's disappointing not to make the sale now, but I think in the real world sales get made by cultivating editors interested in your work.

I'd jump at the chance to talk to an editor who liked my work. People pay like hundreds of dollars to attend conferences with nothing more than the promise of face to face meetings with real editors.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
I've been at this game a long time, and I've never heard of this happening with an editor at a commercial house unless the editor is really interested in you as a writer.

An editor this interested is someone to cultivate. I know it's disappointing not to make the sale now, but I think in the real world sales get made by cultivating editors interested in your work.

I'd jump at the chance to talk to an editor who liked my work. People pay like hundreds of dollars to attend conferences with nothing more than the promise of face to face meetings with real editors.
YES! this! LKP for what it's worth my meetings with editors turned into a sale...

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((lkp))) That's very weird, and I imagine it's going to be difficult. But I think there's truth to what Teri says. It might be a positive in the long run.

(((Octavia))) *passes pitcher of maggotinis*

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Lkp))) The editor has something to say, beyond a rejection and beyond praise. I don't think most editors like the phone any more than I do -- there is something she wants to explore with you directly, back and forth, and not in print.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Teri, Ink and kell here! Think about how this might be beneficial in the long run. It hurts, but it might even turn out to be better than simply receiving a nice R.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'll do it, and smile during it, precisely because of the building connections thing. But here's what makes me think this is less than it appears: my cousin publishes with the senior editor at this house. I'll probably be talking to someone more junior, but maybe to my cousin's editor. It was my cousin's referral that got me this read. So I fear they are mostly playing nice to me not to offend my cousin.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
lkp, you never know. I think it's a very positive thing. Here's another possibility, though I don't exactly know how the approach works. It might possibly be an attempt to see if you are interested in work-for-hire. Some houses are really moving toward having part of their list through that, but I don't know if that's true for what sort of thing you write. If you write literary, then no, but if it's something else, then maybe.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Lkp, I don't think so. A referral gets you a look -- nothing more and often something less. It's you that interests them.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
(((Lkp))) The editor has something to say, beyond a rejection and beyond praise. I don't think most editors like the phone any more than I do -- there is something she wants to explore with you directly, back and forth, and not in print.

Bingo. Editor has something to say to you personally. Anything else could be passed via your agent/email. Similarly, if they just wanted to play nicey-nice because of your cousin, that can more easily and verifiably be done via email.

Status
Not open for further replies.