Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
but do readers actually know that's where they came from without either an explanation, or at least some education in Norse mythology?

Hmm well maybe it's different where you are but here (UK) at least I'd say most people could tell you a least a little about it ( hey we got invaded by the Vikings and Saxons how many times? We learn about it at school. My boss says a Norse toast every time he has a pint) So most fantasy readers here would have a rough idea at the very least. And tbh, every one of the fantasy readers I know has a reasonable working knowledge of the basics of Norse mythology.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking for myself in Canada, we learn Canadian, North American and the tinies bit of European history, which, of course, deals almost exclusively with England and France. Vikings and Saxons we only see in self-stydy / books if we're so inclined.

Sor for me, as a Canadian Engineering graduate, I still think I'm doomed. I do not have the slightest bit of Scandinavian lore and certainly no word ethymology. What's my hope of writing a believable fantasy if I'm not familiar with which words I'm allowed to use and which ones I'm not?

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm well maybe it's different where you are but here (UK) at least I'd say most people could tell you a least a little about it ( hey we got invaded by the Vikings and Saxons how many times? We learn about it at school. My boss says a Norse toast every time he has a pint) So most fantasy readers here would have a rough idea at the very least. And tbh, every one of the fantasy readers I know has a reasonable working knowledge of the basics of Norse mythology.

They must have changed the curriculum..... I only know what little I do know of Norse mythology from my own curiousity! My 'O' level history was "British Social and Economic History 1700 - 1900". Long live James Watt.!! Oh, wait, he's dead....

Maybe that's a fundamental difference between a North American audience, and a European one though - I don't really know anyone here who knows much of Norse mythology (unless they're into Norwegian black metal.....). :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
(unless they're into Norwegian black metal.....).

I think I see how my sample may be biased...:)

Yeah a lot is going to depend on cultural differences. I can only comment on the people I know. ( and having had a couple of scandanavian betas well, they see it straight off lol)

But at least those who know nothing about Norse mythology won't think I ripped it! hehe

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I've said this before, and I'm saying it again: Norse is the new Greek :)

(EG I feel like anybody who is interested in mythology has studied them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.