Sewing Machines

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I've had my life down to pants and tops or sweaters for a long time now, mostly black, white and grays, a little pink, purple, splash of teal, with the occasional wrap dress. (I have an extensive collection of variations of the black wrap dress :eek: )

One of these days I'm going to get down to business though and start working my way through the fabric stash. I don't love to sew -- I do it for the end result, and I think I'm physically incapable following a pattern, probably related to my incapacity to follow a recipe as is.

Finding fabrics I like is difficult, too, since I prefer soft, drapey stuff. That comes at a price! And everything around here seems to be geared to quilting.

Worst project ever . . . full floor length, hooded, satin lined velvet cape . . . for a 6'6" wrestler.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Fabrics.com can be fun, but I have found their fabrics to be a little random. You don't always get what their description says. I once ordered several silks for a dress I was making. Some of it was taffeta and crêpe as described, although the taffetas seemed almost random weights, some quite substantial and some barely lining weight. The charmeuse seemed especially prone to mislabeling. One length was clearly some sort of shiny lining fabric instead, and I had my suspicion that it was rayon, not silk. Another time I got a bolt of cotton twill and when it arrived the bolt label said it was 50% polyester, completely unacceptable for my natural-fibers historical-reproduction sewing. It turned out it was cotton and mislabeled -- when I phoned they assured me it was so, and a burning test verified it -- but the mislabeling itself was a little weird.

Also their delivery time is very long. Packages take ages to arrive.

I like fabrics.com for good deals on fabric, but I have learned not to rely on it when it is really important that I get just the right fabric in a timely fashion.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
For ten years, I used a Brother XL-5130. It was an inexpensive machine, but boy, was it a mechanical workhorse--sewed jeans and corsets with no problem. I faithfully kept up the weekly maintenance (dusting and oiling) and never needed to have it serviced or repaired. Then one day the stitches started skipping badly, and from the research I did, it was likely the timing and the repairs would cost more than the machine was worth. So I went looking and after some debating, bought a Singer Stylist.

It's computerized, which took some getting used to, but I like some of the features that are only available on computerized machines, such as auto needle positioning. When you stop sewing, it will either raise the needle to the upright position, or lower it into the fabric, depending on which setting you use. Very useful. I also really like having the speed control. I'm a sewing teacher and some of my students use my machine during their classes. The old Brother would stall out if they didn't press hard enough on the pedal, and if they pressed too hard, it would go racing and terrify them. The Singer can be adjusted so it only goes at a steady, slow pace, which the students are much more comfortable with. Also, it makes beautiful one-step buttonholes! You just press the button and zip-zip-zip! You have a perfect buttonhole. With my old machine, I never did get a decent buttonhole. In fact, I learned how to make buttonholes by hand specifically because they were so time-consuming and ugly.

As for the Singer's flaws, I don't like how dim the light is. I even duct-taped a book light to the side of the sewing machine to try and cast more light on what I was sewing. I also don't like how sometimes the pedal does nothing. I'll push all the way down and it's completely dead. I'll pump it a few times and eventually it will start up. That gets frustrating. But it was a bargain on Amazon--half the price that Hancock Fabrics charges for the exact same machine.

As far as sewing accidents, the worst that's ever happened to me was the time my cat swallowed a needle. He loved to eat thread and ribbons, which is SO dangerous, but I hadn't realized his proclivities yet, and so I left my pincushion out. He tried eating the thread and ended up with the needle lodged in the back of his throat. The vet said we were fortunate--if it had gone into his stomach, he would have needed surgery. As it was, it cost a lot of money for them to sedate him and pull the needle from his throat. Now we have a rule: no kitties in the sewing room!

Also, I make all my students sign a waiver of liability promising that they won't sue me if they cut, stab, prick, puncture, or otherwise injure themselves while sewing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You can get swatches on fabric.com, too, so that's what I do when I'm doing a serious project. I'm going to be doing some upholstery soon, so I'm going to order probably a dozen swatches just to see how the colors and weights really look. It costs, but it's worth doing when you're going to be spending sixty dollars or more on fabric, I think.

I ended up buying a Janome sewing machine, and it's been awesome. I used it for Halloween costumes and some dresses for a friend's daughters, and a few aprons so far and it's been fantastic. I even sewed some really thick faux leather without any trouble.