The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't your agent realise that all the teens watch Game of Thrones these days so they'll be totally hardened and barely notice the deaths?

(Yeah, I know it's contemporary so it's different. Even so.)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't your agent realise that all the teens watch Game of Thrones these days so they'll be totally hardened and barely notice the deaths?

(Yeah, I know it's contemporary so it's different. Even so.)

Yea, she says the problem is that it's contemporary, so the boundaries of reality are stricter...which is true, I suppose. :-/ Pewp. This is the problem with having written fantasies about assassin schools! :D Now I just expect corpses to turn up in every other chapter!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Okay, so today my daughter (8) asked if I was going to write another book about the characters in my book currently on submission. (It's a definite standalone, but it could possibly have series potential, and she's read it, so of course she thinks there should be more books about them.) So I started to explain that my agent is still trying to sell it, and we'd have to wait and see if a publishing company wanted to publish the first one, and she goes, "Wait a minute, you wrote that FOREVER ago. How is she STILL trying to sell it???" :D

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
(climbs out of the revision pit, brushes self off)

Aaaah, it's good to be back on submission. It's only been a week and I'm already terrified.

How is everyone? I've missed you guys!!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Lily declares this a strawberry lemonade day. Please gather 'round the pitcher, which contains lemonade, vodka, and fresh strawberries pulverized by my stick blender. There are enough tall glasses for every one, and cushions on the deck chairs for when you need to get off your feet.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me I shouldn't be here now I'm not on sub - I can still pop in to see how everyone is, right? I don't want to miss anyone's good news! (Or miss out on the lovely lovely strawberry lemonade vodka :) )

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yay! I'll take a strawberry lemonade! I keep getting offered speznas around here, but when I google it seems to be some sort of Russian military term and I am frightened. :e2paperba

Hi Beckstah! Congrats on being back out! May the process be swift and fruitful this time!

Two incredibly awesome CP's read my MS over the weekend and gave me great feedback, which I'm really excited to implement. (So still desperately hoping the agent doesn't actually hate it, because I am moving forward.)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
@SpinningWheel: Noooo, don't leave!! The only reason I've been gone for so long was because I've been too busy to eat, haha.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Srsly, gang, there are no hard and fast rules for this place. It was started way back when as a "safe" place to talk about being agented and on sub and getting deals and such without making writers still on the agent hunt to feel bad.

Peggy came up with the spezna. You'll have to scroll back a ways, but she was inspired by the Russian guy working on her house. The posts are great.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, agent-assisted self-publishing - anyone got any experience? My agent has suggested the Amazon White Glove scheme.
Seems to make sense in a lot of ways, but I'm waiting to find out exactly what my agent would do for their 15%.

I hadn't been planning to think about self-publishing unless I got to a point where I'd tried and failed with two or three books, but the editor who sent the rejection has talked about how it would be easier if I could show I had an existing fanbase.
I can see the point - if the sales & marketing people say 'But YA historical never sells well enough' it's all very well for her to say 'But this one's different!' but really she needs something concrete, like sales figures, to show them.

Here's another agent-assisted self-pub thread I was following here for a while — looks like the author has self-published the rest of her trilogy. Good luck — and let us know if/when it's out!

Hi Beckstah — fingers crossed for you!

Lemonade heavy on the vodka for me, please! It's that kind of day.

I got such a rush first when my agent offered, then when the subs went out. Now I'm in withdrawal, and I know from experience that stage lasts a looooong time (maybe till the next book or the next!). I just have to face that I'm addicted to the elusive high of writing something somebody else likes. :D Maybe it's like a gambling addiction, only the wins are fewer and further between.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
BECKSTAH! :hi: Congrats on finishing your revisions! I'm totally crossing everything for you. May you receive quick and happy submission news!

SpinningWheel, don't go! I'm not on sub either. I'm in rewrites, and my projected completion date is late winter 2015. So I won't be going on sub for nearly a year. Meanwhile, I'm sticking around for the lovely company, the hot climate (I live in Chicago) and the speznas. ;)

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yuh, don't run away, SpinningWheel! My agent still hasn't agreed on a proposed outline yet, and even after she does (IF she does) there will be months of revisions, so I won't be on sub until close to the end of the year probably.

*grabs a vodka strawberry lemonade and puts hooves up on table*

*topples over*

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
Calla Lily, I’ll take one of those yummy sounding cocktails (though sans vodka, as my head is pounding from too much celebrating last night)! Got good news yesterday – the editor who loved the book made an offer, and so it looks like we’re good to go! What a relief.

Question for y’all: I wrote under a pen name, I’m a fairly private person and have a “career” so didn’t want to mix the two parts of my life. But now as I realize that I am going to need to be heavily involved in marketing / promoting the book, I’m wondering if I should use my real name? Any thoughts? What do you all do / are planning to do?

SpinningWheel, I checked out your new blog yesterday – loved the falconry article!

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Versailles!
Right, I'm staying.

It's tricky about pen names in the world of social media, isn't it? I almost think if you're a private person, using a pen name is even more important if you're doing a lot of promotion, because otherwise you will just end up feeling restricted in what you can say in both personas by the impact on the other identity.

I decided to not pen-name at all and just be me all over the place, but I do feel slightly limited on Twitter etc.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
*Looks around for leftover vodka strawberry lemonade* It has been eerily quiet on my end (on subs)...not looking good for the summer-slow-down myth.

Yay, Versailles!! :snoopy: As to the pen name, you can heavily market/promo it without involving your real name. It's really just a personal choice to use or not...but even if you settle on a pen name, you could be forced to change it at a later time (or take on others if you start writing in conflicting areas like "erotica" and "middle grade"). Even if you go with your real name now, you might have to adopt a pen name in the future. Again, just personal preference. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Versailles, :hooray: Congratulations!

About the pen name: When (never 'if'!) the Agent sells my steamy paranormal, I'll have to use a pen name. It's entirely different from my mystery series, plus it's written in first-person male POV. :tongue I think I'll end up creating FB and Twitter accounts for the pseudonym and promote that way.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Versailles! Congratulations!

I know nothing about pen names, but the others have given you good advice already. Yay again!!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about pen names, but CONGRATS, Versailles!! That's wonderful!

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Omg my agent FINALLY agreed with my latest outline!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!! Wheeee!! I can finally get to work revising the bewk!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
YAY Versailles!!!!! and YAY PuttPut. Awesome!

I told my agent not to bother reading the pages I had sent her - I have gotten CP feedback over the last couple days and I already know so much is going to change. I had told her it was a first draft, so that wasn't unexpected. But I just decided I feel more confident with my vision for what it can be and I really want it to be all the way there (or as close as reasonably possible) before she reads it. I thought I might not bother with revisions if she hates it, but now I know I'm finishing it regardless. It's just a story I have to tell. So tell it I will! And then we'll see.

So, I hope that wasn't unprofessional of me, but oh well. I was starting to get squirmy about her reading it and hating it, and me going, "No, but this is going to change, and this is going to change..."

notveryalice

mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.notveryalice.com
Nothing. Nothing nothing nothing. It feels like I've been out on sub since I was born. *cries*

That means I haven't been rejected yet, yay! But I don't even know if editors care I exist, boo.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
It has taken no time at all for me to fall back into submission squirminess. It's been a week and I'm already rolling across the floor! (Of course, mentally I'm adding in the time from my last book, so really it's been a year and a half...)

Status
Not open for further replies.