What is meant by target audience?

stargazer11

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone... Quick question: I am in the query stage, and one of the agencies I want to submit too asks for a target audience in the query. Does target audience mean something like, 'Women between the age of 25 and 50 will love this story?'

Or does target audience mean, 'Listing other similar works that could potential sit next to yours in a bookstore?'

Should target audience be in the opening of the query, or at the end?

Thanks...

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
In general terms, a target audience is a demographic (in marketing there are various demographic profiles into which everybody, theoretically, fits into. If there's ever a way to properly understand how un-unique you are, work in marketing.).

However, for the purposes of a query, you'd include a line in the housekeeping paragraph:

MYSTORY (173,425 words) is a Paranormal Space Operatic Thriller with Gothic Romance elements which will appeal to readers of Clive Chunderwick's "Thundering The Bishop" and Genghis Genghisson's "The Circus Which Appeared In A Boat and Got Totally Lost Because The Captain Didn't Pay Attention during Boat Navigation Class".

Dude, seriously, spend some time around the boards, fill out your profile, get your 50 posts, let the squirrels chew your Query.

stargazer11

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Theo... I spending as much time on the board as possible.