• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Electric Forest Publishing, LLC / Raven's Wing Books / DarkHart Press

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have facts about Raven's Wings book publishers? Website looks impressive....
Grateful to know,
Writer Friend

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Link: http://www.ravenswingbooks.com/

Editor seems to have good experience, the woman who owns the company however doesn't. Don't pay advances, don't say how much royalties they pay or whether it's on net or not. Currently not open to subissions. Latest book release is slated to be released October 31st, ARCs are avaliabe on request for reviewers in August. Isn't that a little rushed to get reviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression reviews are handled earlier than two months before the release. Not sure how long they've been in operation.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
Link: http://www.ravenswingbooks.com/

Editor seems to have good experience, the woman who owns the company however doesn't. Don't pay advances, don't say how much royalties they pay or whether it's on net or not. Currently not open to subissions. Latest book release is slated to be released October 31st, ARCs are avaliabe on request for reviewers in August. Isn't that a little rushed to get reviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression reviews are handled earlier than two months before the release. Not sure how long they've been in operation.
Thank you for your kind reply.
I think the website offers other services, editing, etc, so I wonder if an author pays for extra services or not. The website seems upfront. I think it is increasingly hard for authors to get published the traditional way, so I can understand going with them. And they say they get the books out to Barnes and Noble websites, etc. so people can order them.

Writer Friend

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
writer friend, I am published by RWB and by DarkHart, both under Electric Forest. Site is: Electric Forest Publishing LLC.

One of her DarkHart authors won a 1st at the Stoker Awards for THE GENTLING BOX. Publisher is a delight to work with.

Publisher is starting her 4th year in the business. Some authors receive advances, others do not. Royalties are consistent by contract. ROCAMORA is her first hard cover.

If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

Publisher created my covers, web site, and video.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind reply.
I think the website offers other services, editing, etc, so I wonder if an author pays for extra services or not. The website seems upfront. I think it is increasingly hard for authors to get published the traditional way, so I can understand going with them. And they say they get the books out to Barnes and Noble websites, etc. so people can order them.

Writer Friend

If they offer other services, that is a HUGE red flag. You want a publisher who publishes. You want an agent who agents. A publisher or agent who does something other than publishing or agenting respectively is nothing but bad signs. It's a possible indication they can't make their income purely from publishing/agenting for any number of reasons, and if they're trying to sell you their services they have very little incentive to actually sell your work. True it may have gotten a little difficult with this economy, but that's still no reason to settle. And being on a website doesn't mean anything if there's no promotion - you want to be on those shelves, not just the website. No one's going to go searching the Barnes & Noble website for your book if they don't know your book exists.

Donroc, can you explain why some authors get advances and some don't? That seems rather inconsistant, especially since the website specifically states there are no advances.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
From the Electric Forest site:

Electric Forest said:
or authors interested in our tailored publishing services, please contact us directly to discuss your project and to receive a quoted fee. We do private consults on books in the US and the UK.

It doesn't say what imprint these books appear under, though. In theory, there's nothing wrong with doing both commercial and fee publishing, but it's not a good sign--it's a conflict of interest.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
From the Electric Forest site:
Electric Forest said:
or authors interested in our tailored publishing services, please contact us directly to discuss your project and to receive a quoted fee. We do private consults on books in the US and the UK.
It doesn't say what imprint these books appear under, though. In theory, there's nothing wrong with doing both commercial and fee publishing, but it's not a good sign--it's a conflict of interest.
That's "The Derwent Press" imprint: http://www.derwentpress.com/

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Donroc, can you explain why some authors get advances and some don't? That seems rather inconsistant, especially since the website specifically states there are no advances.

I cannot explain anything about other authors. I asked for advances and a hard cover for my historical novel. Perhaps some do not negotiate. I can appreciate the skepticism above, but I have had an excellent relationship with the publisher, who is accessable anytime I email her or phone.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
writer friend, I am published by RWB and by DarkHart, both under Electric Forest. Site is: Electric Forest Publishing LLC.

One of her DarkHart authors won a 1st at the Stoker Awards for THE GENTLING BOX. Publisher is a delight to work with.

Publisher is starting her 4th year in the business. Some authors receive advances, others do not. Royalties are consistent by contract. ROCAMORA is her first hard cover.

If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

Publisher created my covers, web site, and video.

Thank you Donroc,
I'm sorry I just caught your info from your other posting. Your book, cover and video, as well as the website, are very impressive indeed.
Thank you very much for your replies. I'm a newbie at all this, and I really appreciate your information and this forum.
I look forward to reading your works.
Very best wishes!
Writer Friend

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score

Hi, Donroc,
I want to thank you for this information, which is very helpful. It's a big world out there in publishing and this forum helps to clarify so much.
Again, I look forward to reading your works and send you my very best wishes. I'm especially thankful, as a person just gaining some experience in writing.
You're very generous to share your wisdom.
Best wishes,
Writer Friend

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I expect because of conflicts of interest re: paid services and vanity imprint.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As of June '11, all are now imprints of Briona Glen (AW thread here).

ETA: That is, Raven's Wing Books, DarkHart Press, and "Electric Forest Press" as a SF/F imprint. Doesn't look like The Derwent Press was part of the deal, but it hasn't published anything since '10.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
But did not survive '14.

Grey Gate Media is no longer in business. We may relaunch another venture here in 2015.