• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

AntheaL

Mostly Cheerful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthealawson.com
Hilary, wow! Huge congrats on signing with Laura Rennert - she's my dream agent - I came very close with her in April, but she ended up passing on my full with sincere regrets. :cry:

My stats:
Queried 3/15
Partial Request 3/23
Full Request 3/25
Rejection 4/11

My interactions with her were wonderful, and she is without a doubt one of the top YA agents out there.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
Sent query via email with first chapter on 4/11. It's not YA, so I didn't have high hopes. She got back to me within a few hours with a request for the first 100 pages. Got a form rejection on 5/3. At least she was quick... I would love to have had her represent me, but will keep plugging along. Just thought I'd log my experience.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Laura today . . . auto-response says she's out of the office until 8/21. She's the FIRST agent I queried my newest book too, but I'm starting at the very top of my wish-list :)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Laura today. Like stated before, she is out of the office. The first agent I have ever queried. Wish me luck guys.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Kelly on 6/16 and received a form rejection on 8/9 (one day before the 8 week time frame they gave.)

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I hope I hear something quicker than that. She's literally my top choice. Even if it's a R, I'd rather know sooner than later.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear from Mary Kole after the email I sent her answering her question of "I love this, what else are you working on?" on 7/16. Publishing sure is moving slow this summer. Hopefully I'll hear back as September gets rolling. This R&R situation has been going for about a year now!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear from Mary Kole after the email I sent her answering her question of "I love this, what else are you working on?" on 7/16. Publishing sure is moving slow this summer. Hopefully I'll hear back as September gets rolling. This R&R situation has been going for about a year now!

Oh, wow, Becca, this sounds like a tough, but hopefully good, situation. Best of luck waiting it out. (We hope you don't go too crazy! :))

Glassfingers_93

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scathingjellyfish.blogspot.com
Ugh, I hope I hear something quicker than that. She's literally my top choice. Even if it's a R, I'd rather know sooner than later.

From what I understand, Laura Rennert doesn't send rejections. I queried her way back in mid-July and haven't heard anything back. Here's hoping the out-of-office thing delayed her a bit and I still have good news coming, but probably not... :D

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
With you, Glassfingers. I'm not holding my breath lol.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Mary ultimately passed :( she said she loves my book but she can only think of a very few editors who would like it, that it doesn't have the commercial value that's so important in this market, and that she doesn't feel she could represent it well enough because of that.

So sad. But Mary's been so great through all of this, and I highly recommend querying her. She's been awesome to work with.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i just peeked at your blog, and you're TWENTY, Becca. and Mary Kole loves your book. wow, i'm sure it's really disappointing, but you've obviously got something. keep at it. and there's an I-Got-An-Agent story right now in Goals and Accomplishments by someone who queried 300 agents with a difficult-to-market book and just signed with someone great.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
i just peeked at your blog, and you're TWENTY, Becca. and Mary Kole loves your book. wow, i'm sure it's really disappointing, but you've obviously got something. keep at it. and there's an I-Got-An-Agent story right now in Goals and Accomplishments by someone who queried 300 agents with a difficult-to-market book and just signed with someone great.

Thank you for the encouragement :) Yes, I've just got to start querying hardcore now... it'll happen!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I spent ages making my query to Kelly perfect, and right after pressing send I realized I left out one of the "n"s in her last name. Utter facepalm.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Hi all! I sent a query to Jennifer Laughran today and did not receive an automated email. I follow her on Twitter and she mentioned having some issues with her email this morning...I'm wondering whether or not I should resend. To those of you who have submitted before--did you get the automated email response right away?

Thanks!

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Automated Response?

Hi again,

I tried to send the query to Jenn L. again today, and still did not get an automated response. Any insight??? Is everyone else still getting it? The other times I've submitted other projects to Andrea Brown, I've gotten it within 20 minutes.

Thanks!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never gotten an auto response from JennL

ETA: AND I've always gotten requests from her. I realized the fact that I got a response is important to your question, lol

Last edited:

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never gotten an auto response from JennL

ETA: AND I've always gotten requests from her. I realized the fact that I got a response is important to your question, lol

Thanks Sage, that's good to know! Bad that I sent two queries (although I did put "resent" in the subject of the second one), but good to know :)

Nandini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nandinibajpai.blogspot.com
3/5 Queried Caryn Wiseman (with referral)
5/13 Full request with a sweet note apologizing about the long delay. I was revising again by then, so asked if she'd wait, and she said yes.
9/29 Finally sent the full.
Fingers crossed!

Nutellanut

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! :)

I queried Jenifer Rofe a few days ago, on 9/27. I know it's only been five days, but it seems (based on the posts I've read in this thread) that if one of their agents is really interested in your story....they get back to you in a few days. So, that makes me wonder if perhaps it's already a rejection...even though their website says that 6-8 weeks is the time frame for receiving a response.

I don't see many posts about people's experiences with Jennifer Rofe here. I get an overall warm, positive feel about the agency. They seem very unified.