Stephen King and his brother, Nosmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Of course I'd be angry, you'd have to be a saint not to be, especially in the immediate aftermath of the incident. My point is I'd be slow to act on that anger in public when I discovered my 'adversary' was living in a trailer on disability benefit and possibly had cognitive difficulties. Despite my massive injuries and long recuperation time, I'd hope I'd be the bigger person and let it go. Especially when I'm a multi-millionaire author known throughout the world.

But really, unless anyone of us finds ourselves in that exact situation we're just hypothesising. I'm happy to agree to disagree.

we can agree to disagree, and I get the whole cognitive thing....at the same time there is the whole "why the fuck did this dude still have a license?" issue. I don't know what you saw, all I saw was what was in On Writing, and I'd have probably shown more anger than he did (in there) over a single busted leg. So, if King did go really pissy later, I can get both the "hell, I'd be pissed too" and also the "don't bash a mentally retarded guy" sides of the argument, but in On Writing at least, I thought he kept his shit pretty locked down.....mine wmight have gone stratospheric.

Nostro

Registered
Reaction score
Website
the-constant-writer.blogspot.ie
we can agree to disagree, and I get the whole cognitive thing....at the same time there is the whole "why the fuck did this dude still have a license?" issue. I don't know what you saw, all I saw was what was in On Writing, and I'd have probably shown more anger than he did (in there) over a single busted leg. So, if King did go really pissy later, I can get both the "hell, I'd be pissed too" and also the "don't bash a mentally retarded guy" sides of the argument, but in On Writing at least, I thought he kept his shit pretty locked down.....mine wmight have gone stratospheric.

The Guardian printed excerpts from On Writing and the car accident was one of them. I just read it yesterday along with an article on the driver's death when I had a quick look for that quote I originally wrote about. And you're right he probably shouldn't have had a license at the time of the accident.

Re. working people you've had run-ins with into your writing. I'd be surprised if most writers didn't do it. Same goes for painters of frescos, e.g. Michaelangelo painting his enemies into the Sistine Chapel.

Reaction score
Somebody told me I should put my mother in my books. Sheesh. I write erotic romance. Talk about a turn-off. Besides, when I finish my other-genre, agent-bait novel, there's no way in Hades I want that bitch anywhere near the book of my heart.

Anyhoo, back on topic...I wouldn't give a damn if someone was living in a trailer and on disability, if they ran me over. His home life doesn't exempt him from knowing right from wrong.

Where I come from, running people over is wrong. And how the hell could he afford to run a vehicle on disability, anyway?!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My point is I'd be slow to act on that anger in public when I discovered my 'adversary' was living in a trailer on disability benefit and possibly had cognitive difficulties.

With all due respect, this is the sort of opinion that only contributes to the 'oh poor me, broken home, disability, let me off with my crime' attitude that we see so often.

His personal circumstances should NEVER be taken into consideration. Okay, so this time he knocked over Stephen King. What if next time he hits your pregnant sister? Or your five year old child? or an old lady crossing the street? Should all be forgiven because he is poor and disabled?

I work in government and I hear this sort of thing trotted out every single day 'but i'm disabled' and 'i live on benefits' or 'he comes from a broken home' are the excuses that are presented when folks doe something illegal and get caught. well I WAS one of those people, living on benefits in govt provided accommodation and NOT ONCE did I use it as an excuse.

If he is not cognitively able to drive then he shouldn't be driving. simple.

Despite my massive injuries and long recuperation time, I'd hope I'd be the bigger person and let it go. Especially when I'm a multi-millionaire author known throughout the world.

I, my husband and my four year old daughter were recently in a car accident caused by negligence on the part of the Road Service. I was pretty badly injured and had to take a long time off work, my husband hasn't driven since because he's scared and my car was wrecked. Should I be the bigger person or should I tackle the neglicence that caused that problem?

It's not always easy to let things go.

Okay, there are accidents that are just that. Accidents. But when someone is doing something stupid, well, that's a different story.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Nosmo King? Geddit?

*sigh* Anyhoo...

This is inspired by the Books You've Thrown Across the Room with Force thread in the Novels forum, and the conversation about Stephen King which began around about this page.

I've only read a handful of King books -- Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Dreamcatcher and a few others, and I wouldn't call myself a mad keen King afficionado.

Those who are more familiar than I with his work have referenced a difference between his 'too stoned to remember writing this shit, 'cause man, I was off my tits' books and his 'clean and sober' works.

I was just wondering what yous guys thought about this. Is there a difference between the two Kings? Do you think the drink and drugs made his books better or worse? Had no effect?

For those who see a difference, what exactly would you say that difference is? Were his books darker back then? More psychological now?

Which of his books would you say best illustrate this difference, if there is one?

Uh, yeah. I totally just got the Nosmo thing. Did I mention I'm naturally blonde?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
It's fascinating to me that Bryan Smith (the guy who hit King) died on King's birthday. How very Twilight Zone.

Reaction score
Finished 11.22.63 this week and had a lump in my throat at the end.

Last edited:

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be quite the SK fangirl and ready to cut bitches across cyberspace about him.

The magical Negro mess in "The Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption" movies quite annoyed me.

Other than that,I adore him. He is one of the best writers ever and I still stan for him,though not as quite as badly as I did in the past.

I also think it is extremely freaky that the guy who hit him died on his bday.

CallyW

Registered
Reaction score
I read three SK novels. The Stand, ending really really annoyed me, It, ending really really annoyed me, and the Green Mile, ending really really annoyed me.

After that I gave up.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
I read three SK novels. The Stand, ending really really annoyed me, It, ending really really annoyed me, and the Green Mile, ending really really annoyed me.

After that I gave up.

He has many WTF endings. The last page turns round and golden showers all the other pages. Pisses all over the rest of the book. Smiling while it does it. 'I am pissing on you,' the last page says.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I used to be quite the SK fangirl and ready to cut bitches across cyberspace about him.

The magical Negro mess in "The Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption" movies quite annoyed me.

I'm with you when it comes to The Green Mile (didn't really like the book or the film). Red in Shawshank didn't really strike me as a Magical Negro character, though.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
In the book he wasn't black. Was he? I'm doubting my memory now....

He wasn't, as I recall. Wasn't he a redheaded Irishman? Hence the nickname.

From what I remember, he was named Red (in the story)due to his hair colour. Morgan Freeman makes a comment about being Irish in the film but it always struck me as him making a small joke.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
To be fair, it is possible to be black and Irish (Interviewer to Phil Lynott: So, what's it like to be black and Irish? Phil Lynott: Ask a pint of Guinness. lol)

And I used to know a black guy --a Scots mum and a dad from Sierra Leone--and he had naturally red hair. (And freckles). Though that's pretty rare, I think.

But it was my impression that Red was white. Or maybe I was making those assumptions again... (I think it's a fair assumption to make, without any other evidence, because it'd be true 99.9999% of the time)

Status
Not open for further replies.