Time Management Q for those w/little ones

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
I love this place! Haven't posted here in a long time, and it's so nice to be back. Now that my youngest "baby" is 2 1/2, I want to write articles again. I have a few published articles under my belt in my chosen niche (alternative health and wellness), and would love some advice on the best way to move forward:

For those of you with little ones or caring for others most of the day while attempting to slice out a bit of time for your writing, which type of writing assignments are you pursuing? For example, are you:

1. Using your time to query mags in your chosen field? If so, are you seeking assignments w/ little interviewing and/or researching? I would love to hear about that.

2. Writing for content sites like Examiner, About, Suite101?

3. Writing for businesses?

Thanks for any insight. I'm really at crossroads- I know that I could get a gig writing for content sites, but that would mean that all of my writing time is used up doing work that wouldn't give me more experience with print, which is where I really want to be (or e-zines are ok, if I can find some that $$ enough to justify working harder and longer on fewer articles).

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Julie. Wow, you are an inspiration. Do you find that writing for Demand Studios is worth it?

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Thanks, Julie. Wow, you are an inspiration. Do you find that writing for Demand Studios is worth it?

:) Thanks- though honestly, you'd have to be insane to do it my way.

Re-Demand, I used to hate them. But, recently I needed to make extra cash and was pleasantly surprised when the work was stuff that a writer can do in their sleep. Plus they now have two paydays a week. In the SEO/Blogging section is more info and a thread devoted to the company.

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked out that thread. Very helpful, thanks.

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Wyntermoon! It's good to be back. I've really missed this place.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
I've got two boys - one in 5th grade and a toddler. It seemed like I could never get anything done during the summer with both home, because the SAHM part of me felt guilty if I didn't get us out of the house 2-3xs a week.

It's a little easier now that school is in. Right now I'm doing stringing for a paper at night (my hubby stays home with the boys and I cover 6 meetings a month), PR work from home (phone interviews) and a little bit of magazine work. My magazine stuff can usually be handled by phone, but sometimes I have to schedule a real live interview and then I have my mom come over and watch the munchkin. Once I got a hot lead on an interview with a person who could only talk if I came over RIGHT NOW and for that one I relied on a girlfriend with a home business to watch the baby for an hour or so.

I try to get some work done in the morning before the kids get up, light typing (blogs & editing) can be done while cartoons are on, and then I still get about 2 hours of afternoon nap time for serious work.

Also, I have a new lap top which is AWESOME because I can sit on the living room couch and work. Somehow my toddler handles this better. He can play in the living room or sit on the couch with me and it seems like I'm paying more attention to him. (I'm already facing the right way, so I can keep him in my field of vision!) My desktop computer is in the corner of the rec room, so if I work there I have my back to him. Also, it's downstairs so he's limited to playing with whats on hand -- if we're upstairs he can drag out the entire contents of his room to play with.

Granted, I'm not really doing full time work here. It's still very much a part time job. But I figure I'll do what I can handle with the couple hours a day I have, then when my toddler is in school I'll be able pull out the stops.

Also, my blog is a parenting post at Examiner, so a lot of my kid activities turn into research for posts. When I take my camera I'm always taking one for me, one for the blog...

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya mamakat - welcome back. You might want to get your hands on WriterMama - Growing a writing career alongside your children. Great book with tips just for mamawriters. The wonderful founder of Absolutewrite (Jenna Glatzer) is quoted in the book. :) Good luck.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
stldenise, I added your link to my examiner page. For some reason I missed you. I'm sorry. lol

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the book rec, and to everyone for sharing experiences. Off to ceck out WriterMama...

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Mamakat-
I do what Julie does... "Anything that pays." Some people, in the past, had said I've moved "past" that in my career as my blog title, but I do truly feel it still applies. I don't do a lot of content work, though... I'll grab a few titles for fun on Helium when the mood strikes. I was actually *rejected* from Demand Studios as a copyeditor with not a word as to why, which definitely soured me on them. I have 15 years experience as a magazine editor and professional writer... so their rejection confused me, to say the least.

I do most of my writing between 9 PM and 1 AM, when the baby's asleep. Ideal situation would be a family member or friend who could watch the kids for a few hours during the day, and I have some possibilities on the horizon in that realm.

I also do a little bit of work in "stolen moments" while my daughter plays. We're in the middle of moving, but once we're settled, my office will be babyproofed and she can play up there while I work. Right now I'm at the kitchen table while she's back and forth from her room to the kitchen. It's not easy but you do what you can, when you can.

If you decide to do DS or something similar, make sure you leave enough time in your schedule to query print and ezines -- Keep Sight of your DREAMS!! Make sure everything you do helps you work toward that larger goal, whether it's a specific publication or a certain monthly income.

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
CatMuse,

Thank you. I checked out WriterMama from the library and have decided to go for the print mags, trades, and e-zines. I know that I wouldn't have enough time to do content site writing as well (at least for now, while my kids are still so little).

I AM going to follow my dreams :) I'm really excited about it, too!

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
I have 8 children, whom I homeschool. I have a newborn, a toddler, a preschooler, and 5 school age kids.

I write for all manner of sites that pay.
I have two blogs, but I *just* monetized one.
I have two Examiner.com gigs.
I've started with Demand, which I like because it's straightforward, you can choose your topics, and the rigid template helps me keep cranking them out.

I've been writing Demand at night, after kids are in bed because I do need a bit of concentration to keep a thought straight.

My blogs/Examiner, I do throughout the day - while nursing, waiting for the kids to finish their worksheet, or whatever. I can throw a post on the site fairly quickly.

Prior to Demand, I wrote for some ezines. What I've found is that every gig I've had has helped my skills in some way, whether it's being consistent on a deadline, SEO optimizing, etc. But I was basically paid for my learning curve. So, in a sense, it's all building towards something.

It does take away from my other writing. I'm working on a book (Erma Bombeck style memoir on large family life) and recently, totally skipped my writer's group meeting because I had nothing new to show. But, my husband was laid off so I really need to concentrate on here and now paychecks.

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mommyjo, for sharing your experience! I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job. I hope he finds another one quickly.

I too homeschool and love it. Though lately I've been fantasizing about having those 6 hours a day to write instead (if they were in school), but I know that this is the choice I've made for my family and I will make it work. I just need to carve a bit of time for my writing as well.

I keep reminding myself that it will get easier to find that time once they are a little older. Thanks again for the reminder that I CAN do this!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Mommyjo-
You are a HUGE inspiration for people like me, who are struggling to do this with just ONE kid! I didn't realize in these past few months just how much sacrifice it is going to take to make this work - staying up late, getting up earlier... for instance, right now hubby is out with my daughter so I can work but it's Friday night and I really wanted to go WITH them, instead.

Dawn